VCE Stuff > Victorian Technical Score Discussion

Is there any Correlation between GAT/NAPLAN results and your ATAR?

(1/3) > >>

pha0015:
The subject heading says it all. Could you use the statistics from your year 9 NAPLAN results e.g. top 6% average, to guess your VCE results?

In truth, I know that it's not really a valid comparison, as:

* a lot can change in three years
* it doesn't account for subjects besides English and Maths
* maths doesn't really count as it was very basic etc...
How about your GAT results? I don't really know much about them as I'm still in year 11. Do they match up with study scores or ATARs?

Aaron:
Not at all. The only relationship between the GAT and ATAR/study scores is the fact that it can play a role if you need special consideration.

The GAT is something you cannot really study for - whereas your scores and ATAR are subject to a year's worth of study (at least).

Of course, someone who scores really high in the NAPLAN Numeracy (for example) may in fact do really well in maths later on, as the capability is there. This is not rocket science.

I would not take scores from the GAT and/or NAPLAN too seriously.

Personally - I scored Band 10 in my Year 9 NAPLAN for Spelling, yet did terrible in VCE English. So from my point of view, I see no relationship.

pha0015:
Dare I ask you English study score? JK.
Thanks for your swift reply.
Realistically I knew that would be the case, but I was still hopeful, as I'd done well in NAPLAN.

jamonwindeyer:

--- Quote from: pha0015 on April 19, 2017, 10:55:28 pm ---Dare I ask you English study score? JK.
Thanks for your swift reply.
Realistically I knew that would be the case, but I was still hopeful, as I'd done well in NAPLAN.

--- End quote ---

Doing well in NAPLAN is absolutely a great sign you have the aptitude to do extremely well in the HSC as well. Clearly if you do well in NAPLAN, you are demonstrating capability as Aaron mentions - It's not the same style of assessment but it is still a positive sign! ;D

Joseph41:

--- Quote from: pha0015 on April 19, 2017, 10:34:13 pm ---The subject heading says it all. Could you use the statistics from your year 9 NAPLAN results e.g. top 6% average, to guess your VCE results?

In truth, I know that it's not really a valid comparison, as:

* a lot can change in three years
* it doesn't account for subjects besides English and Maths
* maths doesn't really count as it was very basic etc...
How about your GAT results? I don't really know much about them as I'm still in year 11. Do they match up with study scores or ATARs?

--- End quote ---

Hey, pha0015! I actually think that this is a super interesting question. :) Does anybody have statistical evidence on this or anything related?

My gut feeling is that, statistically, those who perform well on NAPLAN are more likely to perform well in VCE, but I have nothing concrete. I mean, I don't think there would be a hugely strong correlation, but I'd be surprised if there were no correlation whatsoever. There are obvious flaws to this, but I'd be extremely interested in further discussion.

Speaking from personal experience and also anecdotally, the GAT is a bit weird. Like, I tried my little heart out on the GAT and didn't do particularly well, but did well enough in VCE. And I know that the opposite was true for several people in my year. I haven't really worked out why that's the case yet, haha.

Interesting thread. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version