Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:47 pm

Author Topic: Looking for some QCE Unit 3 Biodiversity Data Test examples!  (Read 9326 times)

LucaKing

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Looking for some QCE Unit 3 Biodiversity Data Test examples!
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:02:51 pm »
+2
Hi everyone!

In a few weeks time I will have my first Bio data test on unit 3. I feel pretty confident for the exam, however I was wondering if anyone has a large amount of data test questions to practice and refine my skills. Bri if you read this I've already done the example questions posted on this subforum (they were very helpful so thank you!!)

Cheers again!
Luca

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Re: Looking for some QCE Unit 3 Biodiversity Data Test examples!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 09:22:52 pm »
+8
Hey Luca!
I completed my Unit 3 data test last year and I do have some practice questions that I'll attach. I also wanna note some things that really helped me while I was studying for it:
- The QCAA practice data test, which can be found here is extremely useful
- Looking at the cognitive verbs you could come across in the data test. For the apply questions it will be verbs like calculate, identify, and determine, for analyse questions you could see classify, contrast, and distinguish, and for the interpret questions (~40% of the marks in the exam), you could expect to see compare, extrapolate, predict, and draw a conclusion (The big ones in my test were determine, calculate, contrast, infer, predict, and draw a conclusion)
- If your test is anything like mine, I would make sure you are comfortable with r2 values and error bars (make sure you are able to draw a conclusion about the significance/reliability of data by analysing any r2 values and/or error bars)
- I would recommend going through the unit 3 section of your textbook and finding any graphs or data that have any questions with them

I would like to stress, however, that as I don't know what your data test will be like, I don't know how helpful all of this is. My data test, for example, was really really difficult and so so different from any practice tests that I did. But just working on your ability to analyse a graph and data will help you approach any question.

The document attached is a mixture of questions from my textbook, questions my teacher gave me and questions I came up with myself.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

LucaKing

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 09:48:19 pm »
+3
Hey Luca!
I completed my Unit 3 data test last year and I do have some practice questions that I'll attach. I also wanna note some things that really helped me while I was studying for it:
- Looking at the cognitive verbs you could come across in the data test. For the apply questions it will be verbs like calculate, identify, and determine, for analyse questions you could see classify, contrast, and distinguish, and for the interpret questions (~40% of the marks in the exam), you could expect to see compare, extrapolate, predict, and draw a conclusion (The big ones in my test were determine, calculate, contrast, infer, predict, and draw a conclusion)
- If your test is anything like mine, I would make sure you are comfortable with r2 values and error bars (make sure you are able to draw a conclusion about the significance/reliability of data by analysing any r2 values and/or error bars)
- I would recommend going through the unit 3 section of your textbook and finding any graphs or data that have any questions with them

I would like to stress, however, that as I don't know what your data test will be like, I don't know how helpful all of this is. My data test, for example, was really really difficult and so so different from any practice tests that I did. But just working on your ability to analyse a graph and data will help you approach any question.

The document attached is a mixture of questions from my textbook, questions my teacher gave me and questions I came up with myself.

Wow!

Thank you so much! I had honestly forgot to look at the cognitive verbs for biology and I think that on its own will help significantly on my exam! I haven't gone through the QCAA prac test yet, but I have that planned for the weekend! I don't believe in class my teacher has gone over error bars, but I'll have a chat with him tomorrow. I might have missed it!

Again, thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond. Really appreciate it :)

Cheers, Luca

LucaKing

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 07:52:05 am »
Hey Luca!

Hey! Sorry, one more thing. Do you have an answers sheet to those problems linked above? Cheers

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:49 am »
+1
Hey! Sorry, one more thing. Do you have an answers sheet to those problems linked above? Cheers

I just checked my computer and I don't seem to have an electronic copy of the answers, but when I get home I'll check to see if I still have the version I printed out with answers.

I'll put the answers in this thread if I do find them, if not I would be more than happy to read over what you have written and see if I can remember the answers
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)

LucaKing

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 11:56:42 am »
I just checked my computer and I don't seem to have an electronic copy of the answers, but when I get home I'll check to see if I still have the version I printed out with answers.

I'll put the answers in this thread if I do find them, if not I would be more than happy to read over what you have written and see if I can remember the answers
Ah! Not a problem, Ill send some things through when I get home! Thanks so much!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 08:30:07 pm »
+2
So I've had a look, and it turns out I only have the answers for the question with the Bray-Curtis and Unifrac table.

Q1. Identify the top 5 explanatory abiotic variable for Unifrac based upon r2 values
answer
1. MAT (˚C)a
2. C/Na
3. Soil Nitrate (mg*kg-1)
4. Soil pH
5. MAP (˚C)a

Q2. Determine 5 explanatory abiotic variables for Bray-Curtis with the least correlation based upon Pearson r values (P).
answer
1. C/Na
2. Soil pH
3. MAT (˚C)a
4. TC(%)a
5. Soil Nitrate (mg*kg-1)

LucaKing

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 07:02:20 am »
+2
So I've had a look, and it turns out I only have the answers for the question with the Bray-Curtis and Unifrac table.

Q1. Identify the top 5 explanatory abiotic variable for Unifrac based upon r2 values
answer
1. MAT (˚C)a
2. C/Na
3. Soil Nitrate (mg*kg-1)
4. Soil pH
5. MAP (˚C)a

Q2. Determine 5 explanatory abiotic variables for Bray-Curtis with the least correlation based upon Pearson r values (P).
answer
1. C/Na
2. Soil pH
3. MAT (˚C)a
4. TC(%)a
5. Soil Nitrate (mg*kg-1)
Ah. I haven't touched that in class yet thanks for looking though! We have a mock test today. I think ill do pretty good, we have only learnt the transect stuff, abundance, distribution, simpsons diversity etc etc etc.

Again, thank you so much :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:05:44 am by LucaKing »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:41:26 am »
+1
We have a mock test today. I think ill do pretty good, we have only learnt the transect stuff, abundance, distribution, simpsons diversity etc etc etc.

Good luck - let us know how you go!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 07:15:20 pm »
+1
Ah. I haven't touched that in class yet thanks for looking though! We have a mock test today. I think ill do pretty good, we have only learnt the transect stuff, abundance, distribution, simpsons diversity etc etc etc.

Again, thank you so much :)

Hey, how do you think you went? :)

LucaKing

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 08:11:25 pm »
+3
Hey, how do you think you went? :)
Good luck - let us know how you go!
I smashed it! 94%. Can't thank you enough Smithy! Those pointers really helped. The test was pushed up a few days so I'll be sitting the real one this Friday. I got a bit confused with p-values, but other than that not too bad :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 09:40:27 pm »
I smashed it! 94%. Can't thank you enough Smithy! Those pointers really helped. The test was pushed up a few days so I'll be sitting the real one this Friday. I got a bit confused with p-values, but other than that not too bad :)

Nice!

All good with p values now or do you want any clarification?

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 10:39:06 pm »

Omg dude! Thats so awesome, congrats! ;D
How are you feeling about p-values currently?

LucaKing

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 07:27:34 am »
+3
Omg dude! Thats so awesome, congrats! ;D
How are you feeling about p-values currently?
Nice!

All good with p values now or do you want any clarification?
I think ill be okay :)
The video on Khan Academy really helped.
Thanks guys!