Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:52 pm

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1406554 times)  Share 

kez1234

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #5865 on: February 23, 2020, 08:59:14 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is anyone who has done PSY2061 or PSY2071? Did the laboratories actually go for the prescribed time of 2 hours?

Thank you!   :)
2019-2021- Bachelor of Arts at Monash University.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #5866 on: February 23, 2020, 10:00:59 pm »
+3
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is anyone who has done PSY2061 or PSY2071? Did the laboratories actually go for the prescribed time of 2 hours?

Thank you!   :)

Hiya - did both!

Generally, all undergrad PSY unit labs will go on for the whole time duration (ending 10 minutes before as usual) with exceptions occurring based on how fast the class gets through the work. Some weeks were based on the data analysis assignments where the last half of the lab was more for guidance or help using the stats program and/or interpreting the stats, so you could leave those early if you were okay.

I'm not sure there's been a rule change, but these labs didn't have marked attendance when I completed them, so if you do have to leave early, just tell the tutor at the start if you're concerned about missing anything important (otherwise, simply leave).
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

lyristis

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5867 on: February 23, 2020, 11:56:17 pm »
Does anyone know if labs and tutorials HAVE to have matching times?
That's what Allocate+ is telling me, so I'm assuming that since I have a lab for another unit from 9-11am on Friday, I should move my Friday 10am PMH1011 lab to match the tutorial time, Friday 4pm.

However, there is only one date for this lab, and I don't even have the tutorial or the other unit's lab on that day, so I'm really not sure what the point of matching lab and tute times is. And since it isn't letting me move the tutorial to match the lab due to a clash with the other lab, could I just leave my current PMH lab allocation as is?

Thanks for any help.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #5868 on: February 24, 2020, 12:30:24 am »
+1
Not for me, for a friend, but;

Do units have to match the course progression map exactly? A friend of mine has mixed up one of their Semester 1 units with a Semester 2 one for their 1st year commerce course.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5869 on: February 24, 2020, 08:27:22 am »
+3
Does anyone know if labs and tutorials HAVE to have matching times?
That's what Allocate+ is telling me, so I'm assuming that since I have a lab for another unit from 9-11am on Friday, I should move my Friday 10am PMH1011 lab to match the tutorial time, Friday 4pm.

However, there is only one date for this lab, and I don't even have the tutorial or the other unit's lab on that day, so I'm really not sure what the point of matching lab and tute times is. And since it isn't letting me move the tutorial to match the lab due to a clash with the other lab, could I just leave my current PMH lab allocation as is?

Thanks for any help.
What do you mean matching times? Labs and tutorials are not the same thing. What unit is this form?

Do units have to match the course progression map exactly? A friend of mine has mixed up one of their Semester 1 units with a Semester 2 one for their 1st year commerce course.
No, you don't have to but you need to have completed relevant prereqs to complete certain subjects and course maps take this into account. However, you can usually get around stuff like this if you are willing to talk to the unit coordinator of a certain unit and if you have done relatively well in your previous units.

lyristis

• Adventurer
« Reply #5870 on: February 24, 2020, 09:23:48 am »
What do you mean matching times? Labs and tutorials are not the same thing. What unit is this form?

This is for PMH1011. Allocate+ tells me to 'Please ensure your computer lab matches the tutorial day and time' and vice versa.

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5871 on: February 24, 2020, 10:12:37 am »
+2

As what Sine has said this won't be an issue unless you're doing a major in commerce that needs the pre-req. For example, BFC2140 has the prerequisite of ECC1000, which means that if you don't do ECC1000 in S1 2020 then theoretically you should not be able to enrol in BFC2140 in S2 2020. I swapped things around though due to my double degree, for example I did BTC1110 in S1 2018 in my second year and it worked better for me as comm law requires a lot of reading and understanding which is better if you're in your second year than your first tbh. It also meant that I could do BFC1001 in S2 2017 just before it was permanently moved to Caulfield, so switching things around by mistake might lead to a better outcome than you think.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5872 on: February 24, 2020, 03:26:21 pm »
+3
It's like a ghost town at Parkville with no jaffys being around- I actually miss the excitement and noise :')

(But tbh I do appreciate the fact that I have so many study spots in the library to choose from for the next two weeks :D :D )
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #5873 on: February 24, 2020, 07:15:02 pm »
This is for PMH1011. Allocate+ tells me to 'Please ensure your computer lab matches the tutorial day and time' and vice versa.
I guess follow those instructions then. I am thinking it is something like each week you will have either the lab or tutorial but not both in the same week.

lyristis

• Adventurer
« Reply #5874 on: February 24, 2020, 09:23:14 pm »
I guess follow those instructions then. I am thinking it is something like each week you will have either the lab or tutorial but not both in the same week.

The funny thing is that there's literally only one lab date and I don't have the tutorial on that date so I'm confused as to why they need to match. Any ideas who I could contact to ask more about this?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5875 on: February 25, 2020, 01:23:12 pm »
+4
The funny thing is that there's literally only one lab date and I don't have the tutorial on that date so I'm confused as to why they need to match. Any ideas who I could contact to ask more about this?
Typically I’d ask the unit coordinator, as they’d usually have a reason for doing it like this.

In my own experience, my Japanese classes had a set order: you had to take the lecture, then the workshop, then the seminar in that order. The reason for this was because the classes flowed on each other; you learn the content in the lecture, you’d do more grammar practise in the workshop and you practised speaking using the grammar patterns in the seminar. I assume they probably do something similar for your unit, except it’s actual labs some weeks and computer labs in others.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #5876 on: February 25, 2020, 09:04:20 pm »
Hi Guys,

Can someone who attends Monash University please explain to me what Applied Support Classes are and what does that mean if I have that for Foundation Maths as well as what I will be doing in that class?

All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks.  :) :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:06:06 pm by dream chaser »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #5877 on: February 25, 2020, 09:29:20 pm »
+3
Hi Guys,

Can someone who attends Monash University please explain to me what Applied Support Classes are and what does that mean if I have that for Foundation Maths as well as what I will be doing in that class?

All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks.  :) :D
I am guessing it is basically another name for a tutorial. Which at university is the class most similar to highschool. Generally it is a classroom setting with about 20 students (possibly less or a little bit more) with 1 tutor who runs the session. For maths it usually allows students to complete practice questions collaboratively with other students and ask questions to the tutor.

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #5878 on: February 25, 2020, 09:43:50 pm »
I am guessing it is basically another name for a tutorial. Which at university is the class most similar to highschool. Generally it is a classroom setting with about 20 students (possibly less or a little bit more) with 1 tutor who runs the session. For maths it usually allows students to complete practice questions collaboratively with other students and ask questions to the tutor.

Thanks for the reply Sine. Much appreciated as always. So it is different from a lecture right?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #5879 on: February 26, 2020, 12:40:00 pm »
+5
Thanks for the reply Sine. Much appreciated as always. So it is different from a lecture right?
Yes completely different to a lecture.

Lectures will generally have hundreds of students seated in a lecture theatre with one lecturer talking with a PowerPoint presentation.