Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:55:29 am

Author Topic: What has been your experience in doing a sport and a degree at the same time?  (Read 624 times)  Share 

ritosno

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +14
I know it's definitely a thing that people do, and I'm interested in joining a uni sports team (probably a lower division one) while I do my degree. What has everyone's experience been like doing sport and a degree at the same time? And is it a good idea when your degree has a higher number of contact hours a week?
2020: IB Diploma Program (37/95.45) | HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics | SL: English Language and Literature, Mathematics, French B

2021: Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
I know it's definitely a thing that people do, and I'm interested in joining a uni sports team (probably a lower division one) while I do my degree. What has everyone's experience been like doing sport and a degree at the same time? And is it a good idea when your degree has a higher number of contact hours a week?
Haven't joined the uni's team but I've played soccer (with an external soccer team) during my degree - training twice a week and a game on weekends. Some nights I've had to not go to training so I can finish assignments and stuff but it's so good to have regular exercise scheduled and a great way of making friends. I've definitely found my mental health has been a lot better when playing a sport during uni compared to doing uni and not playing a sport (didn't play my first year).

Uni isn't meant to be your whole life and it's important to develop and maintain interests outside of uni.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
I'd highly recommend! I joined and participated in my university's sports team (1sts) for my selected sport earlier this year. Being a 1st year I found it thoroughly enjoyable to get involved before Covid. I'd also signed up to the Mixed Netball team but alas it was cancelled due to Covid.  :-\
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

ritosno

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +14
Glad to hear that both of you have enjoyed playing sport during uni! Lol K888 we might have a bit too much in common, what with me wanting to go into physio and also planning to play soccer at uni.

Yeah one of the reasons that I want to play sport is to kind of "force" myself into getting regular exercise even if the rest of my life is stressful, so it's nice to know that it's definitely possible to balance these aspects of life.
2020: IB Diploma Program (37/95.45) | HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics | SL: English Language and Literature, Mathematics, French B

2021: Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Glad to hear that both of you have enjoyed playing sport during uni! Lol K888 we might have a bit too much in common, what with me wanting to go into physio and also planning to play soccer at uni.

Yeah one of the reasons that I want to play sport is to kind of "force" myself into getting regular exercise even if the rest of my life is stressful, so it's nice to know that it's definitely possible to balance these aspects of life.
I mean, we've never been seen in the same room together...maybe we're just the same person?