Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:51:11 am

Author Topic: sleep cycles question  (Read 959 times)  Share 

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
sleep cycles question
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:29:22 pm »
hey guys just a quick but weird question.

What effect does sleep walking have on the sleep cycle and what effect does insomnia have on the sleep cycle?

Its because my teach gave us these really weird psych q's as practise  :o

i have checked all my sources, ie books, internet, etc- but nothing.

ANY help would be great- i have spent ages on this question   :crazy2:

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Re: sleep cycles question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:17:23 pm »
In the case of sleep walking, this sleep phenomenon technically doesn't have the potential to disrupt or impact on the sleep cycle. I think it would be appropriate to comment on how sleep walking can only occur in the deepest stages of sleep (NREM stages three and four), as during REM, sleepwalking would be impossible due to the paralysis of the body during this stage. I wouldn't say that it impacts directly on the sleep cycle as such, as individuals would be extremely difficult to wake during a sleep walking episode (due to the deep nature of the sleep during NREM 3 & 4). After a sleep walking episode, a person may simply return to bed causing minimal disruption to the sleeping pattern.

With this question, you could also comment on the causal similarities between insomnia and sleep walking. That is, they can both be related to stress. A person can suffer from insomnia due to anxiety relating to important life events or relationships. Similarly, if a person is experiencing tension or stress in their lives, they are move susceptible to sleep walking.

Insomnia can significantly impact of the sleep cycle. Due to the poor quality of sleep, the amount of stage 4 NREM sleep and REM is reduced substantially.

Hopefully this helps.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:20:16 pm by Nick »
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

psychlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:57:32 pm »

hey guys just a quick but weird question.

What effect does sleep walking have on the sleep cycle and what effect does insomnia have on the sleep cycle?

Its because my teach gave us these really weird psych q's as practise  :o

i have checked all my sources, ie books, internet, etc- but nothing.

ANY help would be great- i have spent ages on this question   :crazy2:
Insomnia disrupts the sleep cycle as people either have have trouble getting to sleep. If they do get to sleep they have trouble maintaining it, and some people get to sleep but wake up and cannot get back to sleep.
Naturally, this effects the cycle as they have not had a full and proper night of sleep  leading to psychological problems such as Anxiety and Irritability. They can have physiological problems such as hand tremors, head aches and general fatigue due to lack of sleep.

Simple tasks are also difficult to perform

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »
*Nick you are a LEGEND- the part about the REM and NREM really cleared it up for me! ;D

*Psychlaw, yeah thats pretty much what i was thinking- but i mean i dont think there is a specific cycle that it effects more than the other.

:) :) :) :)thanks alot for your prompt responses, given that its a saturday night :P .....sad to say, this made my day :D