Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 10:54:31 am

Author Topic: Potato's VCE Journey  (Read 13374 times)

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
Re: Potato's VCE Journey
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 05:06:06 pm »
+4
That's so cool! That definitely sounds like something which will be really useful for a lot of people. Seems like researching for the app will help you get a much better idea of the medicine as well (services like occupation therapy are so often forgotten). Looking forward to hearing more about it!
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 06:16:35 pm »
+4
That's so cool! That definitely sounds like something which will be really useful for a lot of people. Seems like researching for the app will help you get a much better idea of the medicine as well (services like occupation therapy are so often forgotten). Looking forward to hearing more about it!
Yay, a response! I didn't know that people were even reading this journal ahahaha
Thank you! You're definitely right about getting a better idea of the medicine behind autism, and it's definitely upsetting that some allied health services are neglected so I'm hoping to give it some love in my articles in the app. It's shocking how many parents divorce in our country because they aren't made aware of different services available for them, so being able to connect them to those services as well as introducing overlaps between different services is also one of our targets.
 Thank you for your support  ;D
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 07:49:46 pm »
+5
Yay, a response! I didn't know that people were even reading this journal ahahaha
Thank you! You're definitely right about getting a better idea of the medicine behind autism, and it's definitely upsetting that some allied health services are neglected so I'm hoping to give it some love in my articles in the app. It's shocking how many parents divorce in our country because they aren't made aware of different services available for them, so being able to connect them to those services as well as introducing overlaps between different services is also one of our targets.
 Thank you for your support  ;D

That's true, it does feel like you're just typing into the void sometimes. I think that most people tend to be shy and and just read entries, and only really respond if someone directly asks for advice or writes something that really resonates with them. That's just the way these things are, I suppose, since typing out a response does take more effort than most people are probably willing to put in if they're just browsing.

EDIT: If you look at the view count at the top of the page it'll probably give you a better idea of how many people are reading it
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:09:07 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 08:59:37 pm »
+1
That's true! Thank you for clarifying, I was feeling a bit lonely here ahahaha!

somethingeevee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 09:11:42 pm »
+4
Hey! I'm new to AN so i'm still getting used to things. I'm taking general maths and methods too! I see one of your goals are to start exercising everyday... same  :P I need to start being more active. Can't wait for more of your updates!!  ;)

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 09:52:19 pm »
+4
Hey homeworkisapotato!  :D

Congratulations on completing all your sacs! Looks like a solid exam prep plan! All the best.

Very nice to hear about your app progress! It's so great that you're helping so many families.

Yes, Chicken 65 is the bomb! Whenever we go to restaurants, that's literally the first thing we order, and of course, we make it at home regularly as well.

Have a great week!

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 06:58:31 am »
+3
Hey! I'm new to AN so i'm still getting used to things.

Hey! Welcome to AN  ;D

I'm taking general maths and methods too!
Do you like general or methods more?

I see one of your goals are to start exercising everyday... same  :P I need to start being more active.
BAHAHAHA you can do it! The thirty minutes are painful but the aftermath feels great.

Can't wait for more of your updates!!  ;)
Thank you for reading my journal!! <3

Hey homeworkisapotato!  :D

Congratulations on completing all your sacs! Looks like a solid exam prep plan! All the best.

Very nice to hear about your app progress! It's so great that you're helping so many families.

Thank you!!! All the best for your exam prep as well, I know you'll exceed your expectations  ;D

Yes, Chicken 65 is the bomb! Whenever we go to restaurants, that's literally the first thing we order, and of course, we make it at home regularly as well.

Have a great week!
BAHAHA same! Nice to see another fan here, some of my south Indian friends don't know what Chicken 65 even is  :'(
Have a great week Evolio  :D

somethingeevee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 09:27:19 am »
+2

Do you like general or methods more?

I like general overall because it's fairly simple and we are allowed to use a bound reference, hehe. Methods on the other hand.... it can be very challenging at times, and I feel like it's really overwhelming. But, it is actually kinda fun when you actually know what's going on  :) What about you?

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 10:18:03 am »
+3
To be honest I like both of them equally for the same reasons as you. General is more simple but Methods is fun when you understand it. I like the Calculus portion a lot!

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 08:32:31 am »
+4
wow homeworkisapotato i loved reading your journal and keeping up with the running chicken 65 trend, it's the absolute besttttt from a fellow south indian ;D ill be doing pretty similar subjects nxt year and i may or may not be going to a selective school toooo soooo....

anyway, i look forward to hearing more from you thru this journal. and all the best for ur exam prep and exams this year, i'm sure you'll do gr8  :) :)
- maria
VCE 2021: Biology | HHD [50]
VCE 2022: Methods | Chemistry | Literature | English Language

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 05:16:24 pm »
+3
wow homeworkisapotato i loved reading your journal and keeping up with the running chicken 65 trend, it's the absolute besttttt from a fellow south indian ;D ill be doing pretty similar subjects nxt year and i may or may not be going to a selective school toooo soooo....

anyway, i look forward to hearing more from you thru this journal. and all the best for ur exam prep and exams this year, i'm sure you'll do gr8  :) :)
- maria
Hi maria! Thank you so much for reading my journal and your kind words, you're so sweet <3
Wow, we have a lot in common! What language do you speak? It's great to see another Bio and HHD enthusiast, I absolutely adore those subjects. Maybe if you come to Suzanne Cory we may see each other next year!

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 05:53:31 pm »
+1
Wow, we have a lot in common! What language do you speak? It's great to see another Bio and HHD enthusiast, I absolutely adore those subjects. Maybe if you come to Suzanne Cory we may see each other next year!
(first of all, wow I just learnt how to quote lol  ;D) well maybe namaskaram may give a clue... what about you? but no i don't think i'll be coming to suzanne cory as much as i would love to meet u bc i'm in the better school ::) ;D ;D just kidding  :D i love hhd so much, and i'm sure you will ace biology this year!

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2020, 07:05:58 pm »
+7
(first of all, wow I just learnt how to quote lol  ;D) well maybe namaskaram may give a clue... what about you? but no i don't think i'll be coming to suzanne cory as much as i would love to meet u bc i'm in the better school ::) ;D ;D just kidding  :D i love hhd so much, and i'm sure you will ace biology this year!
I speak Tamil! Aww you're so sweet, I'm sure you'll ace bio and hhd next year <3

Update
Hey everyone! I finally got some time to update this journal so here ya go!

Bio
I did the 2017 VCAA exam last friday and marked it super harshly and I was so disappointed as I got 68%! I asked my super strict Bio teacher to mark it and turns out I had taken out 16 marks for no reason, and I actually ended up getting 84%. What a shocker. I've noticed my weaknesses are experimental design, changes in genetic makeup of population, enzymes and proteins so I've decided to target those areas during my revision. I did the A+ Biol exam after some revision and I only moved up by 4% and I feel like even though I'm working on my weaknesses it's not really making a difference, so I've decided to use my NEAP question bank for revision instead of topic tests which I had initially planned to do.

1/2 Subjects
I finally got my solubility, acid/base, redox, latent heat chem sac back and got 45/47!! What a shocker! I also got my general sac marks back with a 23/27. I'm really not that motivated to do 1/2 atm as I really want to just focus on Bio

Other Tests
I've finally gotten Medify and I did a Mock test to 'diagnose' where I stand, following the advice of a guy in my school who got 98th percentile this year, and I did so bad lmaoo. I got somewhere around 2500 smh but at least I have something to work towards. I'm planning to incorporate 30 minutes of practice questions every day, with 15 minutes of two sections each everyday during the weekdays to get used to the questions. I'm also planning to do a Bio practice exam every day for the week and a couple of GATs for the exposure to the structure.

App
I finally presented my user's journey to my mentors and this week my goal is to research other apps dedicated to parents of autistic children and dot down their strengths and weaknesses. I've already done this before but I didn't do it to a large variety of apps so I've got to do specific research. After this, I will design the looks of the app and trial it to a small group of parents for feedback. I also want to survey parents whose children go to a special school near my neighbourhood and ask them what they want most in an app so I can dedicate my time to a feature which will definitely help.

I also binged the entire Harry Potter book series which was GREAT and gave me such nostalgia to year 7 when I was obsessed. When I mean obsessed, I mean like make a Harry Potter reference to literally everything. It's also inspired me to write this urban fantasy book I actually planned out a bit and really wanted to write last lockdown so I want to dedicate some time to that. My holidays is going to be spent mostly working on bio exams, ucat, practice GATs, the app, writing, and video calling my three friends. I know lockdown has been very demotivating for many people, but personally I'm really happy I got to spend so many months at home. I've learnt to trust and form closer friendships and I actually zoom three of my close friends everyday for about 20 minutes and we talk about our goals for the day and just destress. I hope everyone has a great term holidays <3

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 07:26:31 pm »
+3
I did the 2017 VCAA exam last friday and marked it super harshly and I was so disappointed as I got 68%! I asked my super strict Bio teacher to mark it and turns out I had taken out 16 marks for no reason, and I actually ended up getting 84%. What a shocker. I've noticed my weaknesses are experimental design, changes in genetic makeup of population, enzymes and proteins so I've decided to target those areas during my revision. I did the A+ Biol exam after some revision and I only moved up by 4% and I feel like even though I'm working on my weaknesses it's not really making a difference, so I've decided to use my NEAP question bank for revision instead of topic tests which I had initially planned to do.

Other Tests
I've finally gotten Medify and I did a Mock test to 'diagnose' where I stand, following the advice of a guy in my school who got 98th percentile this year, and I did so bad lmaoo. I got somewhere around 2500 smh but at least I have something to work towards. I'm planning to incorporate 30 minutes of practice questions every day, with 15 minutes of two sections each everyday during the weekdays to get used to the questions. I'm also planning to do a Bio practice exam every day for the week and a couple of GATs for the exposure to the structure.
Hey homeworkisapotato!

84% is amazing for your first bio exam, keep up the good work! Once you know all the content well, improvement is very slow, so don't worry if you haven't been improving by a great amount - all that matters is if your revision is productive, you learn from your mistakes and you're using practice exams efficiently. Slowly but surely, you will improve as time goes on. :)

Haha, my first UCAT mock exam wasn't the best either - I still remember feeling pretty sad after doing it. You've started UCAT preparation really early, so make sure you don't burn out and keep the practice slow and steady - it'll serve you well in year 12.

All the best for exam revision. :)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 07:32:04 pm »
+2
yay another update!!! (can u tell i'm addicted to AN ::)) great job on your biology practice exam... sounds like ur revision is super structured and you'll do great. congratulations for your chem sac that's an amazing score!!! i reread harry potter too last lockdown and i lovvvvved the nostalgia from year 7. which one's your favourite? it's amazing that you've been able to enjoy lockdown and accomplish so much. it's quite inspiring for me and others trying to make it through this weird time. ur doing gr8 homeworkisapotato.
-maria