Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:07:10 am

Author Topic: Jigsaw's puzzling adventure through Arts/Law!  (Read 3206 times)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
Jigsaw's puzzling adventure through Arts/Law!
« on: January 30, 2019, 08:32:08 pm »
+16
This thread will detail my 5 year journey studying a bachelor of laws (honours) and arts at Monash Uni! I'm really excited to start this, as not only will it hopefully provide other AN users with an insight into my course, but also give me a little entertainment down the track when I decide to go through these posts!

A bit about me:

*Finished year 12 in 2018 and studied English, Legal, Accounting, Japanese, Maths Methods (I am not a maths person at all) and Busman in 2017.
*Interest in law/legal studies was sparked in year 10 after doing a commerce elective at school. Ever since then, I always knew I wanted to study law at uni!
*Unhealthy obsessed with 'How to Get Away With Murder' and am in for a reality shock when Monash Law isn't the same as law school in the tv series  ;)

For the arts part of my degree, I've chosen to major in Politics and minor in Japanese. One of my regrets in VCE is not studying politics, so I'm really excited to be doing this at Uni. I decided to minor in Japanese because I've always loved the language and culture; it just so different to Australian life. I also really enjoyed Japanese classes at school and so I'm hoping this enthusiasm will continue at uni.

Coincidently, I ended up heading into Monash today and bought some law textbooks secondhand, so I'm glad I've got some of my textbook list sorted. There's a lot more textbooks on my booklist listed as 'recommended', but I think I'll wait and see whether I'll need to get them or not. Don't really wanna spend $2000+ on textbooks lol. Looking forward to glancing at the textbooks I got today, though, should be interesting!

Currently, I'm just waiting for my timetable to come out, which I believe will occur on the 5th of feb. I'll let you know how my typical uni week will (most likely) look like then!
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Jigsaw's puzzling adventure through Arts/Law!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:54 pm »
+3
Currently, I'm just waiting for my timetable to come out, which I believe will occur on the 5th of feb. I'll let you know how my typical uni week will (most likely) look like then!
I understand the struggle with waiting for a timetable to be out- I'm always waiting for mine until nearly semester start. I found out half of mine recently via the my.monash timetable tile (thanks to a friend for pointing it out to me!), it's worth a shot to see if yours might be there! :)

Excited to read more of this journal!!! :))
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:48:24 pm »
+4
*Unhealthy obsessed with 'How to Get Away With Murder' and am in for a reality shock when Monash Law isn't the same as law school in the tv series  ;)
Ironically, liking forensics and crime stories were a small factor into my decision to do a genetics extended major. (That, and a CSI-based science elective in Year 9 that introduced me to genetics.) I've switched directions for career since, but still love reading/ watching a good mystery novel/ show.

I decided to minor in Japanese because I've always loved the language and culture; it just so different to Australian life. I also really enjoyed Japanese classes at school and so I'm hoping this enthusiasm will continue at uni.
Yay!

Looking forward to more of this journal. :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:53:23 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 09:48:43 pm »
+4
I understand the struggle with waiting for a timetable to be out- I'm always waiting for mine until nearly semester start. I found out half of mine recently via the my.monash timetable tile (thanks to a friend for pointing it out to me!), it's worth a shot to see if yours might be there! :)

Excited to read more of this journal!!! :))

I've got two part-time jobs at the moment so it's really annoying having to wait a bit before updating my availabilities haha. The only thing I can see on the tile atm is my politics lecture time (which was an allocation anyway) but I'll keep clicking it and seeing if it has updated before the 5th. Thanks for the tip!! :)

Ironically, liking forensics and crime stories was a small factor into my decision to do a genetics extended major. (That, and a CSI-based science elective in Year 9 that introduced me to genetics.) I've switched directions for career since, but still love reading/ watching a good mystery novel/ show.
 Yay!

Looking forward to more of this journal. :)

It's actually so interesting how tv shows can spark inspiration in people and influence their decisions. I'm looking forward to Japanese! 楽しみにしている!
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:15:01 pm »
+4
Really excited to keep up with your journal, Jigsaw! Your path is definitely similar to one I'd love to take at Melbourne or Monash.  :)
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 09:34:54 am »
+5
For the arts part of my degree, I've chosen to major in Politics
Yass! Excited to see how this goes, can't wait to hear more!
Good luck at uni :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:22:25 pm by strawberries »
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:39:48 pm »
+10
6/2/19

Received my timetable! I have around 13 contact hours per week which is definitely a change from 35 hour school weeks, but I'm looking forward to (hopefully) having a bit more time to explore new facets of life. In terms of law classes, I have Criminal Law on Monday and Thursday and Foundations of Law on Monday and Friday. Delving into my arts subjects; Politics is in the afternoon on Tuesday and in the morning on Wednesday. My Japanese classes are both in the morning and the afternoon over the days of Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Unfortunately this means that I don't have any days off, but there are days where I only need to head into uni in the morning or afternoon, so I can schedule work around that accordingly. It shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I also purchased my Japanese textbooks. Having a brief skim through the pages, a fair few of the grammar patterns are those we were required to learn for VCE (〜そうです、〜し、〜てみる、ほしい、かもしれない etc) so I'm hoping the beginning of Japanese intermediate 1 (ATS2143) isn't too difficult! But I'm sure it'll definitely ramp up.

Apart from this, life in general is pretty chill at the moment. In between working shifts and doing tutoring work, I've been catching up with mates from school, binging netflix and going to sleep at unearthly hours in the morning (night owls rejoice). I also finally managed to reach 120 driving hours (finally!!!!!) after over 2 and a half years.. but regardless, I made it haha. I'm now in the process of looking to book a driving instructor and doing a couple of lessons before hopefully taking the driving test in the next month or so. I'll keep you posted :)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 05:21:36 pm »
+3
Okay! I know its been almost 2 and a half months since my last post, but I want to quickly touch-in and let you all know I'm still alive lol! I'm crazy busy at the moment (I have 5 assignments due by the end of next week) but after this crazy period dies down I promise I'll be back to the forums answering questions and updating you on my journey. Hope you're all doing well :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 05:51:24 pm »
Okay! I know its been almost 2 and a half months since my last post, but I want to quickly touch-in and let you all know I'm still alive lol! I'm crazy busy at the moment (I have 5 assignments due by the end of next week) but after this crazy period dies down I promise I'll be back to the forums answering questions and updating you on my journey. Hope you're all doing well :)

Five assignments, yikes.

Looking forward to hearing about them!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 06:14:46 pm »

Hey!! Just saw this and am SOOO EXCITED for THIS!! Always been very interested in law and would love insight into what it's actually like.

Ahem not that this and Suits are not two shows which I am also ridiculously and definitely unhealthily, head over heels obsessed with which just spurred on the love for the law hahaha....

cmati

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 12:29:16 pm »
Hey Jigsaw,

Hope all is well.
This was really enjoyable to read :) Do you have any plans to continue this journal..? Please  ::)