Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:17:01 pm

Author Topic: Is this job offer worth it?  (Read 2968 times)  Share 

Ethereal

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Is this job offer worth it?
« on: December 09, 2019, 04:56:22 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

So I'm now a year 12 graduate (17 years old, soon to be 18) heading into university next year. After my exams, I CV-bombed a lot of places. I managed to finally get an offer for a fruit market after about 20 tries from other stores. Initially, they had a cashier vacancy available, which I applied for, but they told me that since I'm a guy, it's better if I did manual labour rather than on the till as they are reserved for the girls.

Right, fair enough I guess, just today I had an interview with the owner of the shop, and I got the job. He talked about my hourly rates, and I was shocked to hear him say that I would start at $8 an hour, with the cap being at $12 when I advance.

If I was only put on cashier, I wouldn't be too fussed, but the thing is that I'm doing manual labour for only 8 bucks. atm I'm really planning on rejecting the job because this is extremely ridiculous, but at the same time I really need experience and this job took me damn long to get.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Monash BSci

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
Re: Is this job offer worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 05:01:47 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

So I'm now a year 12 graduate (17 years old, soon to be 18) heading into university next year. After my exams, I CV-bombed a lot of places. I managed to finally get an offer for a fruit market after about 20 tries from other stores. Initially, they had a cashier vacancy available, which I applied for, but they told me that since I'm a guy, it's better if I did manual labour rather than on the till as they are reserved for the girls.

Right, fair enough I guess, just today I had an interview with the owner of the shop, and I got the job. He talked about my hourly rates, and I was shocked to hear him say that I would start at $8 an hour, with the cap being at $12 when I advance.

If I was only put on cashier, I wouldn't be too fussed, but the thing is that I'm doing manual labour for only 8 bucks. atm I'm really planning on rejecting the job because this is extremely ridiculous, but at the same time I really need experience and this job took me damn long to get.

Man, that's outrageous, only $8 per hour, if it was me I would certainly reject but this is only my 2 cents, please take it as a grain of salt.
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 05:14:33 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

Isn't that below minimum wage?? It's less than half! That is illegal in that case.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 05:18:44 pm »
+1
Yeah, that definetly doesn't seem right. Is there an award wage document you could look at?
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:20:34 pm »
+6
I'd outright refuse. I've done manual labour, and at even at award rates, it's exhausting — I can assure you $8 p/h isn't worth it, especially after considering the money for transport and the extra food you will end up eating as a result of the labour.

It's tough, but keep looking for something better :)

Additionally, if you'd like to make a report about their underpayment of hourly workers, you can do so here.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 05:22:11 pm »
+6
Yep, that's definitely below minimum wage. In my retail job at 17 with no experience I was earning $15+ an hour so you should be closer to that figure. IMO I wouldn't take it but if you're desperate then I guess its better than nothing. Just know that a place that isn't going to pay you well also won't treat you well and they'll probably try to exploit you in some way. I'd keep on trying for other jobs. If you're happy doing manual labour, get a job at a warehouse doing pick/packing - it pays really well and from what I've heard its a pretty easy job to get. Have a look on seek - there's plenty of places always advertising.

Another option is to try hospitality - you might not be able to get a front of house job but you should be able to get a dish hand job or something similar.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 05:33:50 pm »
+2
Definitely not.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Ethereal

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 05:35:59 pm »
+2
Thanks everyone, yeah I guess now that I think about it, I am definitely getting scammed. The option is still there though, I'm not completely rejecting it yet.

Isn't that below minimum wage?? It's less than half! That is illegal in that case.
Hm. I wasn't even aware of this. This place is cash in hand as well which I always thought the businesses would pay less (but come to think of it, cash in hand businesses should pay more because they don't have to pay tax)

Yep, that's definitely below minimum wage. In my retail job at 17 with no experience I was earning $15+ an hour so you should be closer to that figure. IMO I wouldn't take it but if you're desperate then I guess its better than nothing. Just know that a place that isn't going to pay you well also won't treat you well and they'll probably try to exploit you in some way. I'd keep on trying for other jobs. If you're happy doing manual labour, get a job at a warehouse doing pick/packing - it pays really well and from what I've heard its a pretty easy job to get. Have a look on seek - there's plenty of places always advertising.

Another option is to try hospitality - you might not be able to get a front of house job but you should be able to get a dish hand job or something similar.
I've worked in a restaurant when I was 15 and was paid $9, again via cash in hand. Should I just opt to go for places that aren't cash in hand cause' I've realised that most are rip offs.

I'd outright refuse. I've done manual labour, and at even at award rates, it's exhausting — I can assure you $8 p/h isn't worth it, especially after considering the money for transport and the extra food you will end up eating as a result of the labour.

It's tough, but keep looking for something better :)

Additionally, if you'd like to make a report about their underpayment of hourly workers, you can do so here.
I've considered this situation, the workplace is around 30 minutes away from my home if I take the bus, and the bus fares are like what $1.50 one way? If I were to hypothetically work a one hour shift, my net pay is $5 damn.
Monash BSci

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 05:49:56 pm »
+4
I've worked in a restaurant when I was 15 and was paid $9, again via cash in hand. Should I just opt to go for places that aren't cash in hand cause' I've realised that most are rip offs.
Yeah, definitely work for a company that pays you legit - into bank account, where you have a superannuation account that they pay into, all that jazz.

Places usually do cash in hand because they're trying to dodge taxes and trying to avoid paying their workers the legal amount.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 05:57:56 pm »
+2
I’m not sure if this is still open, but ATAR Notes was recently advertising a job, if you’re up for it. Better apply quick though, it closes today!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread