Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:26:38 pm

Author Topic: Biomedical Science Prerequisites @ UTS  (Read 3146 times)  Share 

thaifriedrice

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Biomedical Science Prerequisites @ UTS
« on: May 20, 2019, 01:14:47 pm »
So I'm wanting to do Biomed at UTS but I'm doing general mathematics....
Am I still able to apply? or would I have to just do medical science or something?
୧[ ˵ ͡ᵔ ͜ʟ ͡ᵔ ˵ ]୨ ~uwu

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
Re: Biomedical Science Prerequisites @ UTS
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:59:07 pm »
So I'm wanting to do Biomed at UTS but I'm doing general mathematics....
Am I still able to apply? or would I have to just do medical science or something?

As far as I'm aware (unless this changed this year) there are no prerequisites for most UTS courses. Checking on here https://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/find-a-course/bachelor-biomedical-science it doesn't seem like there is any for biomedical science.

However there is assumed knowledge of mathematics so you could do a bridging course in January so that you won't struggle with the content as I've found whilst there is no prerequisite they assume you already know the content and instead give a broad overview.

Hope this helps.
HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

thaifriedrice

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 11:28:28 am »
As far as I'm aware (unless this changed this year) there are no prerequisites for most UTS courses. Checking on here https://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/find-a-course/bachelor-biomedical-science it doesn't seem like there is any for biomedical science.

However there is assumed knowledge of mathematics so you could do a bridging course in January so that you won't struggle with the content as I've found whilst there is no prerequisite they assume you already know the content and instead give a broad overview.

Hope this helps.

Wait, can you explain a bit more about bridging courses? Are they run in UTS as well??
୧[ ˵ ͡ᵔ ͜ʟ ͡ᵔ ˵ ]୨ ~uwu

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:42:29 pm »

Wait, can you explain a bit more about bridging courses? Are they run in UTS as well??

I didn't do any myself but I have friends who did. To what I understand they are ran just before uni starts and are used to catch up students who don't have the assumed knowledge. I've attached a link that will better explain it: https://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/science/essential-information/bridging-courses

They are ran at most unis but are not compulsory, you may find self study or another way more useful to catch up on material however if you start the course without catching up you may find yourself struggle slightly (depends on which courses you do though). So overall there's no issue that you haven't studied it in HSC may just require some pre-uni work.
HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

thaifriedrice

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 09:10:40 am »
I didn't do any myself but I have friends who did. To what I understand they are ran just before uni starts and are used to catch up students who don't have the assumed knowledge. I've attached a link that will better explain it: https://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/science/essential-information/bridging-courses

They are ran at most unis but are not compulsory, you may find self study or another way more useful to catch up on material however if you start the course without catching up you may find yourself struggle slightly (depends on which courses you do though). So overall there's no issue that you haven't studied it in HSC may just require some pre-uni work.

So if I got the atarnotes summary book and practice tests for maths and chemistry and learnt the material that way during the end of break until uni starts, would that be effective? Also do you know whether I should practice advanced or extension maths for this course? Like I know it says that extension is recommened but I don't know if that means they assume we know all the content at the start of the course.
୧[ ˵ ͡ᵔ ͜ʟ ͡ᵔ ˵ ]୨ ~uwu

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 11:04:09 pm »
So if I got the atarnotes summary book and practice tests for maths and chemistry and learnt the material that way during the end of break until uni starts, would that be effective? Also do you know whether I should practice advanced or extension maths for this course? Like I know it says that extension is recommened but I don't know if that means they assume we know all the content at the start of the course.

https://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/find-a-course/bachelor-biomedical-science

So looking through semester 1 subjects for each major I don't think there's a maths subject. There is statistics but that isn't based on 2U. As in my signature I'm not doing biomed but I do some of these subjects and none have had 2U maths. I can't see any subjects that are math based but I could be missing something. I would say you'd be find if you caught up on most of the material. If you have to do any "maths modelling" subjects you will need 2 or 3U however they offer foundation maths to catchup instead if you are behind so it's not a big issue.

Regarding chemistry they pretty much teach it from scratch however go at a fast pace. If you've done chem before you'll be sweet, if you haven't they teach enough to catch up will just require a bit more work.

Overall based on what I know so far you should be completely fine - what other HSC subjects do you do?

Most of my subjects have essentially retaught year 12 whilst also building on it (for reference I do Quantitative Skills for Science, Chemistry 1, Cell Biology and Genetics and Physical Aspects of Nature).

Hope this is helpful

Atar:

thaifriedrice

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 02:13:09 pm »
https://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/find-a-course/bachelor-biomedical-science

So looking through semester 1 subjects for each major I don't think there's a maths subject. There is statistics but that isn't based on 2U. As in my signature I'm not doing biomed but I do some of these subjects and none have had 2U maths. I can't see any subjects that are math based but I could be missing something. I would say you'd be find if you caught up on most of the material. If you have to do any "maths modelling" subjects you will need 2 or 3U however they offer foundation maths to catchup instead if you are behind so it's not a big issue.

Regarding chemistry they pretty much teach it from scratch however go at a fast pace. If you've done chem before you'll be sweet, if you haven't they teach enough to catch up will just require a bit more work.

Overall based on what I know so far you should be completely fine - what other HSC subjects do you do?

Most of my subjects have essentially retaught year 12 whilst also building on it (for reference I do Quantitative Skills for Science, Chemistry 1, Cell Biology and Genetics and Physical Aspects of Nature).

Hope this is helpful

I do Legal Studies, Advanced English, Biology, Standard Mathematics and PDHPE
Idk if this is really helpful for Biomed lmao
୧[ ˵ ͡ᵔ ͜ʟ ͡ᵔ ˵ ]୨ ~uwu

stella_atarnotes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 12:05:09 pm »
I do Legal Studies, Advanced English, Biology, Standard Mathematics and PDHPE
Idk if this is really helpful for Biomed lmao

Hi, with biomed maths and the sciences will be a major focus at uni. It would be more advantageous to have done at least Mathematics (2U) because they run through the maths stuff pretty quickly. This might not be an issue if you take a bridging course over summer, or even just study up on the 2U and 3U maths basics. With the science, chemistry knowledge seems to pop up in biomed more than physics (unless you choose a physics pathway/major). It's good that you do biology since this is definitely going to help you out with 1st year bio. Seeing that UTS doesn't have any prerequisites for chemistry, they might cater for students who haven't studied chem and go through the content at a slower speed. If you are worried about chem knowledge, you could again take a bridging course, or just read up on the basics over summer. If you work really hard in 1st year you shouldn't have a problem catching up to those with the HSC knowledge.

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 12:45:39 pm »
Seeing that UTS doesn't have any prerequisites for chemistry, they might cater for students who haven't studied chem and go through the content at a slower speed. If you are worried about chem knowledge, you could again take a bridging course, or just read up on the basics over summer. If you work really hard in 1st year you shouldn't have a problem catching up to those with the HSC knowledge.

Yeah Chemistry 1 does go from scratch and requires no prior chem knowledge however stuff they go through in a month in HSC is taught in an hour and a half so if you have the opportunity to do a bridging course or read up as Stella said that would likely help.

Atar: