Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 04:34:29 pm

Author Topic: Is anyone else finding legal very difficult?  (Read 1144 times)  Share 

hdxx

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Is anyone else finding legal very difficult?
« on: August 28, 2018, 05:27:27 pm »
I am finiding legal so hard this year, there is so much content and I struggle to remember it all. Does anyone have any tips?

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Is anyone else finding legal very difficult?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 05:58:24 pm »
+2
I am finiding legal so hard this year, there is so much content and I struggle to remember it all. Does anyone have any tips?
Hey, hdxx,

Yep, Legal Studies is basically just memorization --> application. It’s a lot to take in, so don’t stress. It’s not just you. The entirety of VCE courses are made to challenge a person’s ability to retain and apply information – it’s rough. So I do this:

-   Rewrite the notes I am given/what’s in the book
-   Taking each study design dot-point and elaborating on that in conjunction with my notes
-   Making flashcards or lists for definitions
-   Reading these aloud or explaining them to friends

For case studies, you should pick out the main points and summarise them as concisely as possible. For example:

"The Roach Case (Roach v Electoral Commission, 2007). Vicki Lee Roach. Imprisoned for 5 years for multiple offences. Argued against 2006 amendment to the 2004 Electoral and Referendum Amendment (Prisoner Voting and Other Measures) Act (Cth), claiming that this restriction on a significant amount of the population (~20,000 people) was also a restriction on the Commonwealth Constitution’s Sections 7 and 24, which call for a responsible government…" etc.

Have you got either A+ or ATAR Notes notes? They're actually really helpful for summarising things. Remember, if you're trying to understand a concept, don't condense it. Put it in your own words first, or ask for clarification.

Again, this is a lot to do – it’s not a bad thing to be struggling right now. Just know that you are capable and you can do it, and do it well. Keep practicing. Good luck! :)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
Re: Is anyone else finding legal very difficult?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:59:29 pm »
+1
Yes, i can understand. legal is definitely a hard subject and the questions are also very tricky. it  takes lot of effort and practice questions to get an A plus. i am doing yr 11 legal atm, and even i have realised that simply rote learning and memorising all the content is not going to get you anywhere, your ability to apply your knowledge to different scenarios is what being tested at the end of the day. so you gotta master that. and that is what boosted my mark (i got b pluses for all my previous sacs, however i just got a plus for the sac i did just right now). this is bcoz i only learned what the study design said specifically, and spend most of my study time pretty much applying my knowledge to many scenarios as i could possibly find (and summarising info from the textbook in a short, understandable manner that only including important points). so never underestimate the power of practice questions, it can lift your mark up considerably, i can guarantee you that.