Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:02 pm

Author Topic: How to make notes for Chemistry and Physics  (Read 2967 times)  Share 

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
How to make notes for Chemistry and Physics
« on: February 04, 2019, 07:30:51 pm »
Hi Guys,

Was just wondering as to what is an effective way to take down notes for Chemistry and Physics? For instance, should I write them or type them? Etc...
I would like to hear from past chemistry and physics students to see how they went about doing this. I also get notes from school which are sourced from different websites.

All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: How to make notes for Chemistry and Physics
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:51:05 pm »
For chemistry- I often wrote out and then later typed up my notes because my handwriting at the time was pretty hard to read, and it helped me consolidate and correct some of my knowledge.
For physics- I usually just wrote notes down in my book because I had a ton of diagrams to draw and drawing them on my laptop would take too much time and effort on my part.

It's ultimately up to you, what works for one person may not work for you, you've definitely got time to test everything out! :)
All the best with your note-taking! :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:06:53 pm »
+2
Despite the fact that I am doing the HSC, my advice can also apply to VCE. Personally, I wrote out my notes for both chemistry and physics (haha tb to when I did it in y11), to practice writing quickly for the HSC and to make sure that I wouldn't get distracted. Depending on the unit, sometimes I would only annotate the notes provided by my teacher. Like insanipi said, notetaking style varies from person to person - so see what works for you and good luck!
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

clink123er

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:34:32 pm »
+1
Having done Chem and Physics last year, I would say definitely hand write them because in the exam you have to hand write them!

Handwriting makes it easier to draw diagrams, which you ALWAYS have to do in exams.
2017 VCE: English [41]

2018 VCE: Biology [45]   Physics [44]   Methods [44]   Chemistry [43]   Latin [21]

2018 ATAR: 98.45

2018 UMAT: 77%ile 56/58/54 168

2019 - 2023: Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) @ University of Tasmania

huity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:36:51 pm »
+1
Whilst I only did Chemistry, not Physics, I agree with the advice given  :D

In Chemistry itself, handwriting notes would be particularly useful in many topics such as equilibrium and organic chemistry.

However, for content-heavy topics where less drawings/ graphs are required e.g. fuels, definitely consider typing your notes  ;D

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 01:33:27 am »
For something a little different to the other suggestions, I usually handwrote flashcards rather than writing notes on their own. I found this most beneficial for me since I could re-use the flash cards frequently to study, particularly while walking home from school (distraction free time). Personally, using flash cards (reading the prompt/word etc and having to try to recall the definition/concept before turning over the card and checking) required a lot more active learning than just reading over notes I'd written, and was a useful study method for me all year with my content heavier subjects :) I reused them for exam revision too!
Just a suggestion :D
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

theKKCD

• Adventurer
  • Tap here to edit.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 06:50:52 pm »
For chemistry specifically: I handwrote all my notes on loose leaf paper in a binder, simply because typing our formulas and drawing graphs or molecules was prohibitively hard on the computer. In addition to this, handwritten notes were easier to go back and fill in parts that I missed out on or annotate different things.

2017: Economics [41]
2018: Eng Lang [49], Methods [43], Chemistry [47], Psychology [50], Japanese [38]
ATAR: 99.75
2019-2023: UniMelb Bachelor of Science / Master of Engineering