Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:33:59 am

Author Topic: I need to stop procrastinating  (Read 6057 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
I need to stop procrastinating
« on: October 03, 2018, 04:52:48 pm »
+18
My procrastination levels have increased exponentially in the past week, and that stresses the crap out of me because I'm constantly reminded that the HSC is coming. My stress levels increase whenever I see other people actually studying hard core and I'm here half binge-watching Youtube videos and writing like 1 sentence for my essay (which has taken me a week to finish and is still in progress).

So hopefully I can use this thread to keep myself motivated and stop procrastinating. I'll probably come here every time I keep procrastinating and update what I've done today.

Today's goal: Finish the 2017 Conflict in Europe essay. At the moment I'm on my second body paragraph so hopefully I can finish this today and send it to my teacher.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: I need to stop procrastinating
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 05:03:16 pm »
+7
You can do it! 👊

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:19:24 pm »
+1
I can understand the procrastination levels atm- that's been me for the past few days! :')
You can do it! Hopefully you can finish that essay tonight! ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 05:23:05 pm »
+1
Amen to this!
I am the same right now...  :-[ :-[ :-[
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 05:33:37 pm »
+1
I can relate to this a lot at the moment! Feeling like I'm getting no where, even when I am doing bits and pieces of work...
2018 HSC

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:23:44 pm »
+8
I can understand the procrastination levels atm- that's been me for the past few days! :')
You can do it! Hopefully you can finish that essay tonight! ^-^

Amen to this!
I am the same right now...  :-[ :-[ :-[

I can relate to this a lot at the moment! Feeling like I'm getting no where, even when I am doing bits and pieces of work...

It's great to see people on the same boat as me- well, not great for procrastinating but reassuring that I'm not the only one struggling :D

Okay, I just finished my Conflict in Europe essay and sent it to my teacher and tutor so hopefully I can get feedback on that soon.

Pro tip: I found that listening to music on my phone was less distracting than listening to music on Youtube. Even though I use Youtube to turn on videos so I can just listen to people talk, it can get distracting so music on my phone helps (I know you're not supposed to listen to music while you're studying but I found it easier for me to work).

Next goal: Finishing my Conflict in Europe linking table.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 08:04:05 pm »
+2
It's great to see people on the same boat as me- well, not great for procrastinating but reassuring that I'm not the only one struggling :D

Okay, I just finished my Conflict in Europe essay and sent it to my teacher and tutor so hopefully I can get feedback on that soon.

Pro tip: I found that listening to music on my phone was less distracting than listening to music on Youtube. Even though I use Youtube to turn on videos so I can just listen to people talk, it can get distracting so music on my phone helps (I know you're not supposed to listen to music while you're studying but I found it easier for me to work).

Next goal: Finishing my Conflict in Europe linking table.

I agree listening to music helps. I find when I'm studying I have to listen to songs which I already know well so they are less distracting, or study music.
This is on Youtube so it may not work for you, but I listen to Pandora Journey which I find really motivating, especially for english or essay based subjects, because it is mostly orchestral. https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DYm8JjY4fy-M&ved=2ahUKEwjrjdD5gerdAhWSMN4KHbNpDBoQwqsBMAt6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw3bzorw57rbIFPjTKfEu7yB
Also I am in the same boat in that it has taken me over a week to write a discovery essay, I'm so nearly finished though! Why is english so hard  :o
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:15 pm »
+4
Last update: I'm trying to sleep a bit earlier- formal stuffed up my body clock so I've been turning off the lights at 12am and then falling asleep at 3am, so I stopped working to brush my teeth and do some nighttime stretches.

I didn't finish my linking table but I've almost finished half of the syllabus. Tomorrow, I'll try to finish it but I also have a physics study group so I'm not sure if I'll finish the table.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 10:05:28 pm »
+6
Update: I feel like I procrastinated a lot today. I went to the physics study group and we focused on doing calculations-based questions since my friend needed help in that. We kinda struggled but we managed to get through 6-7 questions within the 1 hour and 30 minutes we set. We'll be having another study session next Thursday so we can go through the secondary-source investigation dot points, where I needed help in.

But then when I arrived home, I began procrastinating. I started playing around with makeup while watching The Mind of Jake Paul (so, procrastinating hard core) and going on my phone. I didn't really start studying until right before dinner, but then my flow got disrupted when I had to go and eat dinner so I had to start up my motivation again. I managed to reach the halfway point with the content for my linking table. I really wanna finish the table tonight but I don't think I'll end up finishing it.

I have math tutoring tomorrow for 2 hours so hopefully I can get myself organised and finish the linking table.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 10:38:59 pm »
+10
Ughh I said yesterday that I was gonna finish the Conflict in Europe linking table but I didn't finish it -_-

I finished two dot points, so I have 4 dot points left. At this point, I've spent too much time on this linking table I'll probably not finish the Germany linking table. After this, I'll do a History Extension Question 2 practice essay. But yeah, disappointed that I kept procrastinating and barely finished my linking table. (I think I've sat in my chair for so long my waist is killing me ;-;)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 11:25:31 pm »
+7
Update: Omg guys I finally finished my Conflict in Europe linking table! This took way long than necessary though -_- I was disappointed in myself when I took a nap today after lunch. I was really tired and I couldn't concentrate and then eventually fell asleep. I never take naps and even if I did, I would beat myself up because I feel grumpy afterwards and it's such a waste of time! I thought I wasn't gonna finish the table so I pushed myself to finish it by tonight- and I did! Except I'm not sure if I'm gonna get a good night's rest tonight because this is way past the bedtime I initially established.

It felt good to tick off this table on my list but I think I'm gonna have to delete the Germany Linking Table off my list because this one took so long and I'd rather spend the holidays working on other things- practice essays and physics prep (rip physics mark ;-;).

So tomorrow's goal: At least write an intro and 1 body paragraph for a HIX 2014 HSC Question 2.

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 01:03:30 pm »
Congrats! At least you've got it done and off the list!
About the sleep... my sleep pattern was totally screwed up so I can totally relate! Try taking 'restavit' (you can buy it over the counter at any chemist) for 5 or so nights running... I found it worked really well!
Also....
1 whole tablet totally knocked me out so you might want to try just 1/2! It's non-addictive so nothing to worry about... but it says can cause drowsiness (I haven't found that it does?!)
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 11:10:14 pm »
+4
Update: I found myself procrastinating, again -_-

To be honest, I find myself procrastinating during the day but around just before dinner, my productivity picks up. Not sure how to change this because I wasted all day just binge watching videos and stress eating. I told myself yesterday that I would write an intro and 1 body paragraph for History Extension but nope. I only managed to write an intro. I said my waist was hurting but now my shoulders and waist are hurting as well- my shoulder was cramping last night so I have no clue how to fix it.

Tomorrow's goal: write at least one body paragraph for my practice essay.

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 11:01:55 am »
+1
Heya, in the same boat as you!! Whenever I try to start working my mind hits a road block and refuses to function properly. I found that moving your study location around every now and then helps a bit. Like a change of scenary so your brain doesnt lock up as soon as you see your desk. Hope this helps and good luck!!
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 12:35:08 am »
+3
Update: So I said yesterday that I wanted to write at least 1 body paragraph and I finished this! I didn't do a workout today so I had to sacrifice that -_- But I did start another body paragraph. I'm also sacrificing sleep because it's 12.30 right now rip. As for my procrastination levels, it wasn't too bad. Like, I woke up binge watching videos and then doing some work and then when it got later I started procrastinating.

Anyway, I'm hope to finish paragraph 2 and possibly start 3 tomorrow. Not sure if I could finish it though.