Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:01:00 am

Author Topic: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread  (Read 85798 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2019, 02:51:26 pm »
+6
Hey guys,

I just came back from Indonesia and of course, came back with a haul. So here I am, doing a review for all of the products I bought. We'll start of first with Etude House. I was actually excited to go to Indonesia because of their Etude House stores, only to be disappointed when I found out all of their stores shut down (we literally went to 4 different malls to track down their store). However, I still came home with a crap tonne of sheet masks. 30 in fact. They range from Green Tea, Tea Tree, Aloe, Manuka Honey and Hyaluronic Acid. I have a normal skin type so whenever I buy masks, I'm always going for hydration. And these sheets masks were ridiculously cheap, like 90 cents per sheet mask. (Usually in Australia sheet masks range fro $2.50 to $4)

Then I bought the Sephora Miniature Palette in the shade Cookie. As expected, the price is the same (just a direct conversion from IDR to AUD). While I do believe it should be priced a little cheaper, it actually works well, i.e. the colours blend nicely and they're very pigmented. My cousin (who is a MUA) used the palette and it worked nicely, which was surprising because I never expected the Sephora Collection to work well. Is it the best palette out there? No, but it gives me a place to start, as an eyeshadow noob.

I also bought the Nyx Powder Puff Lippie. I didn't expect myself buying this product since I was looking for the Nyx Lip Lingerie Lip Gloss (which was surprising since we were in an actual Nyx store rather than a drugstore). When the saleswoman showed me the tester, it was actually very pigmented. But when I opened it up and tried it, it was actually a bit oily with a bit of pigment. I was so confused because the product I bought was different to the tester. It was also a little bit streaky, which was something Tati didn't say when she reviewed it. So now I just happened to have an oily lip product that I'll probably use around the house just so it will eventually run out.

Another product I bought was the Maybelline Hypersharp eyeliner. This was a product my cousin recommended, and also happened to be on discount at the drugstore (there was a promotion where everything was on 30% off for the whole week). I'm not sure if there's a difference between this one and the Maybelline HyperSharp Wing Liquid Liner. I mean, the packaging looks similar (apart from the different colour packaging). Anyway, it was kinda easy to use since it's more like a brush tip than a felt tip. My only problem is that since I was working in an air-conditioned room with poor lighting and a lack of stability, I was taking way too long to apply it and eventually caused it to dry out. So I had to leave the house with kinda-equal looking lined eyes and leave it alone for the whole night.

And finally, I bought the Wet n Wild Liquid Catsuit. This was a product I see a lot of beauty gurus rave about, especially Tati. When I found out Wet n Wild was sold at the drugstore, I was making sure that I was getting my hands on it since Wet n Wild isn't available here. A lot of the products left were either metallics or very bold red lip colours (the shade range I haven't gotten into). When I look at the shades, I thought that I was gonna like the shade Rebel Rose. But when I swatched it (which swatched poorly since it was dried out), it looked a bit too deep and I haven't explored the deeper, bolder shades (I've only looked at the peachy-nude to the lighter browny-nude colours). After some digging, I finally found a different shade, which happened to be the shade Nudist Peach. They didn't have a tester for this shade and my mum was paying for the products so I had to impulsive-buy this product. The shade looked pretty (judging from the bottle) but from what I remembered from the online swatches, Nudist Peach seemed a bit too bright. I was a bit worried that it wasn't the shade for me but once I tested it on my lips, it actually wasn't obnoxiously bright. It smells weird and was a little bit streaky but you can layer it since it dries quickly. Then I did a wear test when I went to a family dinner. It was a little bit drying but not as bad as the Nyx Lip Lingerie Liquid Lipstick. It was very light and transfer-proof. It didn't really start to crumble until they brought out the noodles. The product on the corners of my lips started to fade away and by the end of the night, it did start to crack. That being said, I'd still wear this liquid lip since it was light, comfortable and transfer-proof.

Overall, I was surprised about was that there are a lot of brands I bumped into that have been talked a lot by beauty gurus. I mentioned Wet n Wild, but I also bumped into Catrice, LA Girl and Makeup Forever. I was also shocked to see an actual Nyx store there since we don't really have Nyx stores here in Sydney. I was also impressed by how cheap drugstore makeup was in Indonesia. For example, my mum bought the Maybelline SuperStay Foundation, where the original price was ~$10 (a bit less than $10 due to the 30% discount) whereas it's sold at $18-$25 (depending on which chemist you go to). That being said, there wasn't a large variety of brands at Sephora, which was a bit disappointing. I was hoping to see Tarte or Huda Beauty there but they didn't have it. From the two Sephora stores I went to, they had a large wall for the Sephora Collection and then the brands were on the higher end (Dior, Marc Jacobs) rather than the "moderately priced" brands (Tarte, Zoeva). One thing to point out is that the testers there were horrible, especially the lip products. The lip products were dried out, and this was a common occurrence when it came to cheaper makeup (drugstore, Miniso), whereas the Sephora testers still worked.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2019, 11:03:00 pm »
+4
LoI feel like I'm a bit biased about Fenty Beauty because I only tried one product of theirs ahahaha. Should've clarified that their lipgloss let me down (good formula but wasn't as universal as they advertised it lol). I'll like to try one of their highlighters one day.

Hello and welcome back! Decided to impulse buy Fenty Beauty's Stunna Lip Paint liquid lipstick in the shade 'Uncensored' (the red one) because I like to impulse buy makeup when I'm stressed lol. But also I've been wanting to buy a new red lipstick for a while now since I literally cannot stand my NARS one anymore (it dries my lips so much). I was debating getting another Jeffree Star lipstick (since I LOVE its formula) but ended up going with Fenty Beauty when I saw it in a makeup tutorial by Catriona Gray aka Miss Universe 2018 aka one of my new idols and decided to just go with Fenty Beauty ahaha. Also I was impatient and didn't want to wait 14 days just to get a Jeffree Star lipstick from online.

I bought the Fenty Beauty lipstick today and the red seemed a bit bright for my skin tone but ended up getting used to it. I also love how light the formula is! Just exactly like Jeffree Star's formula for his Velour Liquid Lipsticks. Although it does transfers a bit more than the Jeffree Star liquid not gonna lie. The applicator is unconventional to what I've seen from other liquid lipsticks but actually works well.

I've also grown to love my Fenty Beauty lip gloss which is good.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2019, 11:20:35 pm »
Hey guys,

Has anyone ever tried Tarte eyeshadows? I've kinda been eyeing the Tarte Flirt Eyeshadow Palette for awhile now.

Also I was impatient and didn't want to wait 14 days just to get a Jeffree Star lipstick from online.
Omg what shade did you get? Girl you better get ready for the Jeffree Star x Shane Dawson palette!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2019, 10:46:14 pm »
Hey guys,

Has anyone ever tried Tarte eyeshadows? I've kinda been eyeing the Tarte Flirt Eyeshadow Palette for awhile now.
Omg what shade did you get? Girl you better get ready for the Jeffree Star x Shane Dawson palette!

I haven't tried the Tarte eyeshadows just because I feel like the colours are too unoriginal in my opinion. Though they look very pigmented from the tutorials I see all around Youtube and Instagram.

Oh noo I didn't get a new Jeffree Star lipstick aha. I only said what I said because I was debating between getting a JS lipstick or trying the Fenty Beauty lipstick so I can try a new product. I honestly wished I got another Jeffree Star lipstick because the Fenty Beauty one keeps transferring everywhere! To be fair I did eat something oily today but even my Jeffree Star lipstick didn't transfer as much when I ate oily food. There goes my $36 lol rip

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2019, 12:00:48 am »
+3
Hey!
I got a $25 Priceline gift voucher and was wondering if any of you had any makeup recommendations? I can spend a little more but I'm trying to save haha. This will be my first time in my entire life shopping for my own makeup I don't do this often so eek I need advice thanks xoxo

Yo very white girl is specifically looking at:
- Face creams
- Eyeshadows (probably 2 expensive 4 me)
- Lipstick/gloss/stain

Is it bad I'm nervous about this??
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2019, 12:21:39 am »
+4
Hey!
I got a $25 Priceline gift voucher and was wondering if any of you had any makeup recommendations? I can spend a little more but I'm trying to save haha. This will be my first time in my entire life shopping for my own makeup I don't do this often so eek I need advice thanks xoxo

Yo very white girl is specifically looking at:
- Face creams
- Eyeshadows (probably 2 expensive 4 me)
- Lipstick/gloss/stain

Is it bad I'm nervous about this??

Hello Poet!

I got some questions for you before I start making some recommendations !!

- Face cream: What type of skin do you have? Do you want a day and/or night cream? Did you just want to moisturise your face or did you want a face cream that also spot corrects/brightens your skin/etc.) Did you want a natural product or would any product be fine?
- Eyeshadows: Did you want more of a bold look or natural look? Would you prefer a palette or single eyeshadows?
- Lipstick/gloss/stain: What colours did you want to explore? What finish did you want- matte or satin?

Some super nice face creams include La Roche-Posay, Sukin and Neutrogena. Some nice eyeshadows include Australis and Rimmel. As for lipstick, Maybelline, NYX and Rimmel are good! The specifics in each brand really depend on you and what you want from each product :)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2019, 11:55:25 am »
+1
Hello Poet!

I got some questions for you before I start making some recommendations !!

- Face cream: What type of skin do you have? Do you want a day and/or night cream? Did you just want to moisturise your face or did you want a face cream that also spot corrects/brightens your skin/etc.) Did you want a natural product or would any product be fine?
- Eyeshadows: Did you want more of a bold look or natural look? Would you prefer a palette or single eyeshadows?
- Lipstick/gloss/stain: What colours did you want to explore? What finish did you want- matte or satin?

Some super nice face creams include La Roche-Posay, Sukin and Neutrogena. Some nice eyeshadows include Australis and Rimmel. As for lipstick, Maybelline, NYX and Rimmel are good! The specifics in each brand really depend on you and what you want from each product :)
wow I didn't realise this was so complicated >.< sorry!

Face: I have between normal to oily skin.
Spot correction would be preferable but not vital, and day cream. Natural is also preferable but not an issue, my skin isn't sensitive
Eyeshadows: more natural, palette
Lip things: darker pinks, no bright colours, satin, moisturising maybe?

Thanks! I'll look into those brands :)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2019, 11:05:42 pm »
+5
Kinda recently invested in the Mecca To Save Face SPF50+ and omg.
A) smells great
B) not oily like most sunscreens
C) doesn't make me break out

I bought just the small tube to try it out but I'm thinking I'll end up investing in the big tube!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2019, 11:30:24 am »
+3
wow I didn't realise this was so complicated >.< sorry!

Face: I have between normal to oily skin.
Spot correction would be preferable but not vital, and day cream. Natural is also preferable but not an issue, my skin isn't sensitive

Thanks! I'll look into those brands :)

Face cream: Normal to oily skin is usually fine to find products for! So even Neutrogena, Sukin or Nivea should be. French brands such as La Roche-Posay, Avene and Bioderma are quite nice and have a nice feel to the skin (but are ridiculously expensive. My LRP cleanser alone costs $25!)

Eyeshadows: Even the Nude palette from Rimmel or the Blushed Nudes palette from Maybelline should be perfect!

Lip colours: Any of the bullet lipsticks from L'Oreal or Revlon should be good. Maybelline is good too! I know Rimmel has satin finished lipsticks but they come in liquid form so not exactly moisturising? Nude by Nature and Natio lipsticks has some nice natural ingredients in them so they could work as well?

Hope this helps!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2019, 11:54:30 am »
+3
I'd also like to add that Australis, especially their Neutralize palette, is a great palette. Their shadows are really smooth and pigmented, but I did see a review that these shadows can shatter easily if you drop them so be careful with that! At the moment (according to the Priceline website) they're on 30% off at the moment :)

The Australis Lip Slip Lip Oil is also a great product- it was actually one of the first lip products I bought. It was a great way for introducing me into the makeup world. It's not sticky like a lip gloss but it's pigmented and felt comfortable on my lips. The Nyx Butter Gloss is also another great lip product. It's not sticky and very comfortable, and you have a wide range of shades to choose from. It also smells really nice, maybe a vanilla scent. It can be quite tempting to buy the Nyx Lip Lingerie Gloss since the tube looks bigger but for some reason there's only 3.4mL of product whereas the Butter Gloss at 8mL of product and is cheaper.

Hope this helps!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2019, 08:33:43 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I bought a few brushes but now I'm not sure how to clean them. Does anyone have any advice on how to properly clean them?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2019, 09:01:18 pm »
+4
Hey guys,

I bought a few brushes but now I'm not sure how to clean them. Does anyone have any advice on how to properly clean them?

I use this brush cleaning spray from Sportsgirl (got it for Christmas aha). So you spray it to your brush, swirl it around on a paper towel, wash brush with water then lay it down on a towel for it to dry. That's pretty much the most common method to clean brushes anyways! I know makeup sponges have different cleaning methods.

tamamo

• Adventurer
  • Matt | Year 12 | JOHN 4:8
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2019, 06:53:21 pm »
y'all my lips crack really easy any tips?
I used to carry around a chap stick but i kept losing it and eventually it went through the washing machine and I keep forgetting to buy a new one.
Is there anything else I can use or am i gonna have to like tape a chap stick to myself
vce:
texts & traditions (U1) 2018;
legal studies (U1&2) religion & society (U3) 2019;
chemistry (U1-3) 2020;
english language, methods CAS & psychology (U1-4) specialist (U2-4) 2020

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2019, 07:40:54 pm »
+3
It's been a stressful week so you know what that means: retail therapy. Priceline had a bunch of stuff on 50% off so obviously I would take advantage of the sale. Here's a picture of my mini-haul.

I'll start of with the Australis lipstick. I will say it's very comfortable to wear on the lips and the transfer isn't too bad. Like, it transfers a bit but it's not to the point where the all of the product goes onto your mug. It feels light to wear and not overly waxy.

The Nude by Nature mascara wasn't the best mascara but it wasn't the worst. I liked how the brush of the mascara was small enough for my short, Asian lashes. When I used the Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara, the brush was a bit big and I would always end up smudging the product on my lid which was a bit annoying. I feel like the formula of the Nude by Nature mascara can be a bit wet. Like, when on one side it gets a little bit clumpy but on the other side, my lashes are nice and separated and they curl upwards. While I do find this a bit annoying, I will say that I accidentally took a nap wearing this mascara and when I woke up, the mascara didn't smudge so it does get some points there.

As for the Nyx eyeshadow, I was actually tossing up between this one and the Maybelline Lemonade Craze palette but I figured that I would get the Nyx one because I don't really use yellows or pinks so I feel like if I were to get that palette, it would kinda be a waste since I wouldn't be using those shades. (I will say, I'm not usually a fan of Maybelline shadows but they were pigmented, especially the shade 'Sugar Coated'). I've played with a few shades from the Nyx palette and I like how it's buildable on the lid. I'm still a beginner with shadows so I don't think I'm too comfortable in playing with extremely pigmented shadows (sorry Jeffree Star!) but it has enough pigment for me to work with. I swatched a few of the shimmer shades and they're definitely pigmented. I do notice a bit of kickback in the pan but I'm not too fussed about it. And I know that the palette I chose is a generic warm neutral colour story but I feel like it's a nice palette where I could wear one of the shades on the whole lid and that would be my everyday look.

Finally, the Nyx Lip Lingerie gloss. I find it funny how I did say that the Butter Gloss would be better to buy because it has more product and it's cheaper, and usually I would go for the Butter Gloss but heck, both were on half-price and I wanted to do a comparison on the quality. I will say the Lip Lingerie Gloss is a bit thicker than the Butter Gloss, but not too sticky. Apart from that, I don't think there's a big of a difference apart from that the Lip Lingerie has a bigger doe foot applicator. I will say, I found it easier to find a nude shade from the Lip Lingerie shade range. A lot of the shades in the Butter Gloss range were either too pink or too brown so I would spend 30 minutes trying to pick a shade, whereas a lot of the Lip Lingerie shades had a lot more nudes.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2019, 09:41:17 pm »
+1
y'all my lips crack really easy any tips?
I used to carry around a chap stick but i kept losing it and eventually it went through the washing machine and I keep forgetting to buy a new one.
Is there anything else I can use or am i gonna have to like tape a chap stick to myself

I use the Dermal lip balm (both the normal one and the SPF 50+ one) and it does WONDERS for my dry lips. I also like to use a lip scrub (any should be fine- I personally use the Lush one) before then putting the lip balm on top. Though, hydration is definitely key from avoiding having chapped lips.

As for the Nyx eyeshadow, I was actually tossing up between this one and the Maybelline Lemonade Craze palette but I figured that I would get the Nyx one because I don't really use yellows or pinks so I feel like if I were to get that palette, it would kinda be a waste since I wouldn't be using those shades. (I will say, I'm not usually a fan of Maybelline shadows but they were pigmented, especially the shade 'Sugar Coated'). I've played with a few shades from the Nyx palette and I like how it's buildable on the lid. I'm still a beginner with shadows so I don't think I'm too comfortable in playing with extremely pigmented shadows (sorry Jeffree Star!) but it has enough pigment for me to work with. I swatched a few of the shimmer shades and they're definitely pigmented. I do notice a bit of kickback in the pan but I'm not too fussed about it. And I know that the palette I chose is a generic warm neutral colour story but I feel like it's a nice palette where I could wear one of the shades on the whole lid and that would be my everyday look.

Think it was a good idea to get the NYX palette instead of the Maybelline Lemonade Craze one- I've heard bad reviews about it lol. NYX is better quality for eyeshadow anyways. I've got the NYX ultimate shadow palette in the Bright edition (the colourful one). I'm a big fan of using yellow, orange and pink on my eyelids aha (my favourite eyeshadow look!)

Good to hear that the warm neutral palette has great quality as well :)