Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:55:01 am

Author Topic: 'Doing VCE' - the good, the bad, and the future  (Read 32759 times)  Share 

NAT0003

Re: 'Doing VCE' - the good, the bad, and the future
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2017, 09:08:38 pm »
To be honest, I can't even remember now, although I think it was advertised on Facebook and I thought it'd be cool and so on.
It is a hard thing to get away from, especially if all your study is done on the computer! Have you checked out different ways to get off your computer/distracting sites? If not, I hear this and this, give some amazing little pointers*. :)

*they mainly deal with procrastination though

Edit: I obviously cannot type today, fixed the BBCode!
The computer is definitely hard to get away from, just need to stop being addicted or otherwise it's going to ruin my vce :(

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2019, 10:28:53 am »
+4
Bump so that the Class of 2018 (and others) can contribute! ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2019, 12:45:45 pm »
+5
Things I'm glad I did during VCE:
-Make not burning out a priority
-Keeping my notes/ flashcards
-Doing my hobbies so I felt sane
-Asked my teachers for help (and when I say I asked for help, I asked for HELP)

Things I wish I did during VCE:
-START STUDYING FOR EXAMS IN SEPTEMBER. ngl, my atar would be so much better off...
-Cut down work hours (it was too much for me)

Things I did but probably shouldn't have done during VCE:
- sleep late (Sleeping is so CRUCIAL! Having that extra sleep makes a world of difference)
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2019, 01:08:32 am »
Things I'm glad I did
  • Stuck to a consistent study schedule and spent my study time (mostly) productively (assisted by choosing an effective study space and time)... as a result I was able to get regular decent study breaks after dinner and rarely was up late studying
  • Used cue cards for learning definitions/theory rather than typing/rereading notes
  • Asked questions and made extra efforts to approach teachers for clarification when I wasn't 100% sure on a concept/method
  • Studied a 3/4 in year 11 (was a really useful learning experience)

Things I wish I did
  • Researched uni courses and their entry requirements in more depth/earlier on (including UMAT prep!!!!)
  • Have more confidence in myself and my preparation before assessments... last minute stressing/cramming is so unnecessary!
  • Paced myself a little better in exams - should've gone into them more aware of the time I had for each question/section, not over-written in the opening sections and left more time for proof reading!!

Things I did that I probably shouldn't have
  • Worried too much about SACs; exams mean so much more and rankings throughout the year easily change!
  • Worried about other students buying prep material/ using tutoring services. They don't guarantee success :)

Could add plenty more but off the top of my head this will do :)
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2020, 11:24:58 am »
Bumping for others to share their thoughts - even if exams haven't yet finished. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2020, 11:36:26 am »
+3
Glad I did:
- A 3/4 last year - even though my study score... left a lot to be desired (only two in my family did HHD, and the other one heids got a 50) I had more of an idea how things worked and how, if you don't work at the subject, you don't do well (thinking about it now I'm surprised I got the mark I did, given how little work I put into it); as a mark it was a waste of time, as experience it was useful.
- Practise essays in English - also practise full exams, since I found doing the third essay really hard at first - whereas in the real exam it actually wasn't a problem with brain exhaustion, I reckon I did just as well/badly as I had the other ones.
- Spent study time mostly somewhat productively
- Read through textbooks and notes and things in the leadup to exams rather than making my own - reduced mental tiredness and also reduced procrastination, as I was able to say to myself, just read the book, you don't need to do anything, and it really helped me.

Things I wish I did:
- ...Studied in the first half of the year? (I had some issues so I couldn't study so much, but I could've studied more effectively during that time.)
- Not as much cramming
- Not worry so much about results!

Things I did and probably shouldn't've:
- Procrastinated (like writing this right now).
- Get too little sleep at times.
- Get distracted too easily.
- Worry about ATAR/study score... like right now....  :-\
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.