Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:07 pm

Author Topic: Transfer from Arts to Science?  (Read 3288 times)  Share 

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
  • Respect: +1
Transfer from Arts to Science?
« on: September 30, 2010, 06:53:55 pm »
Looking at entering into Arts at UoM next year, but deeply considering transferring to science for post-graduate opportunities.
I do not have the pre-requisites for Science at UoM, so I will HAVE TO enter into Arts.

I really have no idea about transferring, and am finding the website confusing, so please refrain from laughing at my stupidity.

I have a few questions (keeping in mind I plan on doing a Psych major)

Is there any way I could complete the pre-requesites for the MD within an Arts degree?

What subjects/marks/process would i need to take/get/go through in order to be eligible for transfer?

If i was to do nothing but science subjects for breadth, as well as the psych major, how much credit/time would it subtract from the Science degree if i was to transfer?

What is the earliest time i can transfer?

Answers would be greatly appreciated!
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: Transfer from Arts to Science?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:10 pm »
Is there any way I could complete the pre-requesites for the MD within an Arts degree?

Mmmm, possible but I doubt it. I'll take a look at the site and check, but you only have six breadth options available and you need to do multiple 2nd year level subjects (+ their prereq subjects) in BSc to qualify for MD.

Okay, I just had a look and probably yes. Take two first year biology subjects + one first year chemistry subject...that qualifies you for physiology and anatomy second year subjects which meet the prereqs. I couldn't find the biochemistry subject on handbook, but it would probably require a semester of chemistry, which you'd already have. If it needed 2 semesters of chemistry, you'd have to overload or do summer semester.

Not an easy way to do it.

What subjects/marks/process would i need to take/get/go through in order to be eligible for transfer?

Complete a year of a BA, then apply. Not sure on the average but as high as possible basically...70+ for a good chance? Someone else will have to help you with that.

If i was to do nothing but science subjects for breadth, as well as the psych major, how much credit/time would it subtract from the Science degree if i was to transfer?

None. You'll be able to use them as prereq subjects for stuff like chemistry 201 but you'll still be at uni for the full 3 years/six semesters
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:24:07 pm by Russ »

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38:10 pm »
Russ pretty much answered you.  Great job.  I'll just a few details.

I have a few questions (keeping in mind I plan on doing a Psych major)

What is the earliest time i can transfer?

Answers would be greatly appreciated!

If you're doing a psych major through Arts, I'm sure you can get credit for the psych subjects if you transfer into science.  But the psych credits won't be credits for your breadth, they'll have to go towards your science degree.

If you can read this on time, Thursday 30th September is/was the last day for VTAC applications.  If you do miss the boat, don't worry.  You can apply for a transfer directly to UoM mid next year.  With regards to the marks, you'll need 70+ to be in a good position.

I'm not too sure about the MD.

Despite this, for the best answers, do is this:  Go to the Eastern Precinct Centre, and ask the staff there.  They are the professionals and know the degree back to front.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:53:53 pm »
If you can read this on time, Thursday 30th September is/was the last day for VTAC applications
Still time for late apps and if he's already submitted change of preference right

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »
Thankyou very much for your prompt answers.
I am still having trouble understanding though.

Okay, I just had a look and probably yes. Take two first year biology subjects + one first year chemistry subject...that qualifies you for physiology and anatomy second year subjects which meet the prereqs. I couldn't find the biochemistry subject on handbook, but it would probably require a semester of chemistry, which you'd already have. If it needed 2 semesters of chemistry, you'd have to overload or do summer semester.
Not an easy way to do it.

I'm pretty sure it only requires one semester of Chemistry.
How am I to do three first year Science subjects when I only have room in breadth for two?

This:
None. You'll be able to use them as prereq subjects for stuff like chemistry 201 but you'll still be at uni for the full 3 years/six semesters

Seems to be in discord with this:
If you're doing a psych major through Arts, I'm sure you can get credit for the psych subjects if you transfer into science.  But the psych credits won't be credits for your breadth, they'll have to go towards your science degree.

Would appreciate if someone could clear that up.

Despite this, for the best answers, do is this:  Go to the Eastern Precinct Centre, and ask the staff there.  They are the professionals and know the degree back to front.
Think i might just do that! :)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:50:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure it only requires one semester of Chemistry.
How am I to do three first year Science subjects when I only have room in breadth for two?

Make sure it does. If you're going to do it this way, you want to know beforehand rather than after you start.
First year subjects can be done at any time, they're just at a first year level for GPA/study purposes. So it would run something like: both 1st year biology subject in 2011, a first year chemistry and a second year anatomy in 2012 and a second year physiology/biochemistry in 2013.

Would appreciate if someone could clear that up.

When I said no reduction, I meant you won't be able to finish in 2 years or 5 semesters. If you get two subjects credited, you could use them as prerequisite subjects for taking others but it won't make your degree shorter. You might get a couple of lighter semesters (taking 3 subjects instead of 4) but you'll still graduate after the full 3 years.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 06:58:30 pm »
If you can read this on time, Thursday 30th September is/was the last day for VTAC applications
Still time for late apps and if he's already submitted change of preference right

Yes, that's very true.  I didn't think of that.  Thank you.

If you submit a late application, the fee will just be higher.

When I said no reduction, I meant you won't be able to finish in 2 years or 5 semesters. If you get two subjects credited, you could use them as prerequisite subjects for taking others but it won't make your degree shorter. You might get a couple of lighter semesters (taking 3 subjects instead of 4) but you'll still graduate after the full 3 years.

Yes, Russ is right there.  Because you didn't do the pre-requisites for the MD in your Arts degree, you'll need to do them in your science degree.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 12:36:59 pm »
The biochemistry subject requires 2 semesters of chemistry which means you might have to overload. This is the subject you will need https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2010/BCMB20002
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:39:20 pm by Edmund »
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 07:56:56 pm »
Yes I have not submitted any applications yet, I just registered with VTAC and will submit later on if I decide to.
If I make a sure decision, and am set on it, then the higher price won't seem like such a burden.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 09:24:03 pm »
First year subjects can be done at any time..

Ahh, thankyou!

So, just to clear it up, if i was to transfer, my university time would appear like so;
1 year of BA - transfer - 3 years of BSc. Total under-grad time= 4 years?

And, if i was to try to complete the MD pre-reqs in a BA, it would be something like this;
YEAR ONE -
SEM1-BIOL10004 (650-141) Biology of Cells and Organisms
SEM2-BIOL10005 (650-142) Genetics & The Evolution of Life

YEAR TWO -
SEM1-CHEM10003 (610-101) Chemistry 1
SEM2-CHEM10004 (610-102) Chemistry 2
       -PHYS20008 (536-234) Integrative Human Physiology (pre-reqs: 2 semesters of level 1 biol + 1 semester of any 1st year quantitative science subject [Psychology major covers this])

YEAR THREE -
SEM1-BCMB20002 (521-211) Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (pre-reqs: 2 semesters of level 1 chemistry)
SEM2-ANAT20006 (516-210) Principles of Human Structure (pre-reqs: 2 semesters of level 1 biol)

Much appreciated ;)

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 11:03:58 pm »
Yes I have not submitted any applications yet, I just registered with VTAC and will submit later on if I decide to.
If I make a sure decision, and am set on it, then the higher price won't seem like such a burden.

Just make sure it's not a "very late" application, otherwise the fee will be $108.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:24:21 am »
That study plan looks logical, but it requires you do to physiology over the summer break, when it's probably not offered. More likely to be a chemistry 2 option over summer, it has a high failure rate and is a big prereq for second year.

Just check that and be sure

Caspar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 09:14:10 pm »
You'd do an extra year just to apply for the MD? Really? You only get one interview for graduate medicine, so being able to apply for the MD won't necessarily advantage you. In medicine unless you plan on leaving aus, the uni you go to does not really matter. Why not apply for MBBS @ Monash/Deakin as a graduate? I'd expect the GAMSAT/GPA cutoffs for Deakin interviews to be lower than Melbourne even with the prereqs culling large numbers of applicants.
UMAT tuition (95/96%iles, 100%iles in S1/S3 between us): http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,33968.0.html

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 08:47:08 am »
The extra year really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things, he's still not going to finish everything this side of 2020. If it's worth it to him in order to study/do clinical in metro 1, then it's not a big deal.

(UoM's cutoffs are going up so much for 2012, which upsets me)