Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 02:39:40 pm

Author Topic: What if it turns out that university isn't for me?  (Read 1205 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
What if it turns out that university isn't for me?
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:45:28 am »
+1
Throughout the university application process last year, the message my school sent to me (or to the VCE students) was that it's uni or nothing (or that's how I perceived it). I unconsciously felt pressured by the societal norm that what "naturally" comes after high school is university. I feel like the only reason I am at university is because, what else is there to do? So I chose what I thought was my favourite subject at the time (Psychology), found a bunch of degrees that relate to it, added it to my VTAC preferences, submitted and applied. Of course, nothing could have prepared anyone for the sudden changes of the past few months, but it has still left me with some questions (and plenty of time to research my options) Why aren't gap years and alternative pathways looked into further? Why is university seen as the norm? Clearly there are other options, I guess that especially for VCE/HSC students, university is marketed to be what logically comes next. And why is there such a stigma towards dropping out of university, even if it's for the right reasons?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: What if it turns out that university isn't for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 11:37:52 am »
+13
Throughout the university application process last year, the message my school sent to me (or to the VCE students) was that it's uni or nothing (or that's how I perceived it). I unconsciously felt pressured by the societal norm that what "naturally" comes after high school is university. I feel like the only reason I am at university is because, what else is there to do? So I chose what I thought was my favourite subject at the time (Psychology), found a bunch of degrees that relate to it, added it to my VTAC preferences, submitted and applied. Of course, nothing could have prepared anyone for the sudden changes of the past few months, but it has still left me with some questions (and plenty of time to research my options) Why aren't gap years and alternative pathways looked into further? Why is university seen as the norm? Clearly there are other options, I guess that especially for VCE/HSC students, university is marketed to be what logically comes next. And why is there such a stigma towards dropping out of university, even if it's for the right reasons?

Hey, JR_StudyEd!

Super long post ahead but thought I'd share my thoughts about some of the questions you raised here for your own, as well as others' benefits  :) I think the issue here is perhaps how you perceived the university application process because I would highly doubt that university is the only option your school advertised as a post-high school option. Perhaps I had a different experience going to a school where it was balanced and mixed in terms of who went off to study university and who went off to pursue alternative pathways but I never felt like the school under-promoted, or at worst invalidated, TAFE, college, gap years, overseas study, apprenticeships and so forth. There is no societal norm that dictates university being the most logical place to go after high school. It's an expectation, I feel, you've put on yourself because of what you have been exposed to as a student. A few of my friends who went to TAFE or took gap years told me that they had those options proposed to them by the career advisors at our school and were perfectly informed of what benefits it would have for them if they were taking different pathways that didn't require university study. My aim here isn't to criticise your mindset though; it's to just let you know that the right support networks have always been there for those that aren't considering university as a pathway. Basically, it's important to think of university as a pathway, rather than the only pathway. Those who see it as the norm have more than likely been surrounded by people who have told them it is but breaking out of that wave of thinking takes a lot of bravery which I know you have in you  :)

As for the stigma surrounding dropping out of university, it comes down to a lot of factors. I feel like it's easy to generalise it but there are a number of reasons that come into play and they are more nuanced than you may think. I'll speak from a cultural point of view since it's the one I'm most familiar with but a lot of Asian-immigrant children feel the pressure and need to get a university degree given all that their parents have sacrificed for them to pursue opportunities and education in a foreign country. The parents amongst themselves see university as a place for their children to get themselves into careers that won't require as much labour, struggle, potentially discrimination as well and other hardships that they had to encounter. Dropping out of university, to these parents, is seen essentially as everything they've worked hard for gone to nothing. Add in this ingrained perception that there's a hierarchy in degrees and having a child drop out of say 6 years of med school is a nightmare come true. It's hard to change these perceptions easily because the parents aren't aware that there are other pathways and directions their children can take to pursue the careers they want to. When my cousin wanted to drop out of uni to go to culinary school, her parents were devastated. Eventually though, they knew she was better off in the kitchen and making these amazing dishes to bring smiles to people's faces than she was in her degree really only because of them. For the stigma, in this circumstance, to be lifted, it requires communication, information and research, and bravery from all parties involved. I hope others can hop on this thread because this is only one example of why the stigma exists.

At the end of the day, if you aren't happy with your degree, know that it is perfectly fine to try out as many things as you want and find what's right for you, university or otherwise. I know someone who's been through three degrees and has just found his calling in carpentry (he's currently doing an apprenticeship now). Beyond high school, there's so much out there to explore and sift through to locate where your interests and skills can be best used and where you can thrive the most  :D

Angelina  ;D

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:01:11 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:23:42 pm »
+2
There is no societal norm that dictates university being the most logical place to go after high school. It's an expectation, I feel, you've put on yourself because of what you have been exposed to as a student. Basically, it's important to think of university as a pathway, rather than the only pathway.

For me, I found university to be the safest pathway. It would allow me to be productive whilst also giving me an education. I don't think TAFE is at all inferior to university in any way, it's just that I don't want to lock myself into a career just yet. I didn't want to take a gap year because I would probably just waste the year.

Perhaps what I said in the opening post was an expression of how upset I was that university didn't meet my expectations. I thought I would be enjoying it by now. Plus, it turns out that I didn't put nearly as enough research as I should have into the courses that were right for me. I had such a narrow mind going into university. I only went to two open days, and even then I didn't really plan out what I was going to do for those days. I just went with the flow. And I didn't even end up at either of those universities.

I do want to transfer to a new course, but a) I have found that I just don't learn well with remote learning (nothing I can do about that though), b) I believe I made the wrong subject choice, c) My uni doesn't offer the subjects I want to study and d) I don't feel academically adequate enough for university in general. So I need to somehow hope that the rest of first year has interesting enough units so that I can get a good enough grade to be accepted on the basis of my university results (because my final Year 12 results were rather disappointing, to say the least).
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 07:30:38 pm »
+3
For me, I found university to be the safest pathway. It would allow me to be productive whilst also giving me an education. I don't think TAFE is at all inferior to university in any way, it's just that I don't want to lock myself into a career just yet. I didn't want to take a gap year because I would probably just waste the year.

Perhaps what I said in the opening post was an expression of how upset I was that university didn't meet my expectations. I thought I would be enjoying it by now. Plus, it turns out that I didn't put nearly as enough research as I should have into the courses that were right for me. I had such a narrow mind going into university. I only went to two open days, and even then I didn't really plan out what I was going to do for those days. I just went with the flow. And I didn't even end up at either of those universities.

I do want to transfer to a new course, but a) I have found that I just don't learn well with remote learning (nothing I can do about that though), b) I believe I made the wrong subject choice, c) My uni doesn't offer the subjects I want to study and d) I don't feel academically adequate enough for university in general. So I need to somehow hope that the rest of first year has interesting enough units so that I can get a good enough grade to be accepted on the basis of my university results (because my final Year 12 results were rather disappointing, to say the least).

My Analysis:

You want to be at university but you find yourself to not be academically adequate enough for it. This leads you to continuously lose interest in whatever units you decide to do in your current degree. You regret your decision for attending the university you're attending now because you realised your mistake in just going with the only university option you had left at the end of year 12. The pandemic has made coping with university harder for you and you expected better from going to university.

My Advice:

Year 12 was a tough year for you and your final results caused you to slowly lose interest in studying. Due to this, your motivation for studying at university has also fallen.

You still don't know exactly what you want to do and that's okay.

I'd recommend taking some time off after leaving your current university degree.

Do your research, find a path for yourself and then follow that path. This is the simplest route you can take. Never rush any of your decisions.

Here are some websites that I think you'd find useful:

https://www.courseseeker.edu.au/ - Course Seeker helps you make informed decisions about your future study by allowing you to access clear, meaningful and transparent information on ATARs/OPs, prerequisites and enrolment policies. Information has been sourced from across Australia and presented in a nationally consistent and comparable format to improve the transparency across the higher education sector.

https://www.compared.edu.au/ - The ComparED website provides prospective students with relevant and transparent information about Australian higher education institutions from the perspective of current students and recent graduates.

https://myfuture.edu.au/ - This website helps you understand what your interests are and then it recommends the types of jobs you might be interested in. It also recommends the courses you might be interested in doing.

Good luck JR :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:37:44 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie