Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:11 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207518 times)  Share 

Kane.doran2002

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #735 on: April 24, 2020, 08:32:40 pm »
Just a quick question on Essays in English. How will you address this, in particular, how do you answer an explain question using cause and effect in English, like how do you do a thesis for an explain question

Explain how sound and cinematography have contributed to the representation of culture and identity in The Castle.

Cheers

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #736 on: April 25, 2020, 12:54:49 pm »
+3
Hi,

About the introduction of a multimodal, I am a little confused about the structure of the introduction: From what I have been doing is starting off with a conceptual statement, and then introducing the text (a sentence of how the text relates to the question), and then three sentences of the ideas/themes that show HOW they relate to the question and that they are going to be talked about in the following three body paragraphs.

I watched your lecture this morning and it was really fun and engaging, but I just wanted to ask about your example of an introduction for Module A, where you listed the themes (power, prejudice and ownership) but didn't explain how it relates to the question....unless I didn't read it properly.

I wasn't sure if I should list the themes, or explain them because I was told that you had to show how it relates to the question.

My question (statement) is : The Castle is more than just a comical film that serves to entertain the audiences. Discuss this statement.

Hey again!

There's no clear cut way to do introductions; for example, some teachers tell you that you must introduce the text in the thesis, whereas I and other teachers would disagree. If your teacher has instructed you to write in a certain way, do as they've told you since they'll be the ones marking your internal assessments. That being said, I think it's redundant to explain each and every theme in the introduction since you'll be exploring them in more depth in your actual body paragraphs. Let's take another look at that sample response I showed in the lecture yesterday!

One Night the Moon Sample Response
Language provides commentary on cultural issues that are relevant to contemporary society. Composers mold and manipulate language to reveal both shared and contrasting perspectives held by individuals and collectives, shaping our understanding and perceptions on identity. Rachel Perkins’ film One Night the Moon (2001) explores two Australian groups to represent the cultural conflicts that emerge from issues surrounding power, prejudice and ownership. Through examining these concerns raised in the film, audiences gain awareness of the impact they have on identity and are encouraged to empathise with others as a result.

I've listed the themes here but I've also provided a brief indicator that those themes are related to the "cultural issues" prescribed focus in the question. I'd almost see it as a waste of words, especially under exam conditions, to individually explain each theme when you can just place them there like that and save it for the body paragraphs. This goes with a multimodal as well  :) If you were to apply this to your statement, something along the lines of "Through exploring family, gender and class as significant aspects of individual and collective identity, The Castle extends beyond its comedic genre to deliver valuable insights into contemporary Australian culture." I've signposted here the themes I will be discussing but have also explained how they are all related to the question and my hypothetical thesis. Hopefully, that answers your question a little better!

Just a quick question on Essays in English. How will you address this, in particular, how do you answer an explain question using cause and effect in English, like how do you do a thesis for an explain question

Explain how sound and cinematography have contributed to the representation of culture and identity in The Castle.

Cheers

Hey, Kane.doran2002!

Great question! A thesis for an Explain question should have cause and effect within the structure of the sentence. Usually, this can be hinted from the way the question is divided itself. If we were to use the statement you've been provided, something like "Through the clever manipulation of sound and cinematography, the film medium serves as a platform for engaging representations of culture and identity to be projected before us." Here, the cause is in the way sound and cinematography has been manipulated, with the effect being that it allows for culture and identity to be represented in an immersive way. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

slothologist

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #737 on: April 26, 2020, 12:28:49 pm »
Hey again!

There's no clear cut way to do introductions; for example, some teachers tell you that you must introduce the text in the thesis, whereas I and other teachers would disagree. If your teacher has instructed you to write in a certain way, do as they've told you since they'll be the ones marking your internal assessments. That being said, I think it's redundant to explain each and every theme in the introduction since you'll be exploring them in more depth in your actual body paragraphs. Let's take another look at that sample response I showed in the lecture yesterday!

One Night the Moon Sample Response
Language provides commentary on cultural issues that are relevant to contemporary society. Composers mold and manipulate language to reveal both shared and contrasting perspectives held by individuals and collectives, shaping our understanding and perceptions on identity. Rachel Perkins’ film One Night the Moon (2001) explores two Australian groups to represent the cultural conflicts that emerge from issues surrounding power, prejudice and ownership. Through examining these concerns raised in the film, audiences gain awareness of the impact they have on identity and are encouraged to empathise with others as a result.

I've listed the themes here but I've also provided a brief indicator that those themes are related to the "cultural issues" prescribed focus in the question. I'd almost see it as a waste of words, especially under exam conditions, to individually explain each theme when you can just place them there like that and save it for the body paragraphs. This goes with a multimodal as well  :) If you were to apply this to your statement, something along the lines of "Through exploring family, gender and class as significant aspects of individual and collective identity, The Castle extends beyond its comedic genre to deliver valuable insights into contemporary Australian culture." I've signposted here the themes I will be discussing but have also explained how they are all related to the question and my hypothetical thesis. Hopefully, that answers your question a little better!

Thanks for helping!

Just one more questions... How do you link the themes together? I know the themes, but i don't know how to link them together. i was thinking of doing the importance of family,  justice, and egalitarian, but my paragraphs don't link up.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:34:47 pm by slothologist »
Thanks

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #738 on: April 27, 2020, 11:14:12 am »
+4
Thanks for helping!

Just one more questions... How do you link the themes together? I know the themes, but i don't know how to link them together. i was thinking of doing the importance of family,  justice, and egalitarian, but my paragraphs don't link up.

Thanks

Hey, slothologist!

The link is in the thesis itself. Your thesis is the basis of your essay, your judgement and core. Your themes are what determine your arguments and, if you remember the tree analogy I gave, those arguments extend from the thesis.

Ultimately, your themes don't need to be linked to one another; I would even say it's better to avoid that in case you muddle them all into one theme. I also included this in the slides with the example I gave for Pygmalion; those themes are technically not linked or similar but they are all connected to my main judgement. Your link will always exist since your themes are being derived from the thesis so if, for example, your thesis is looking at the way language reveals significant tensions that exists within society and how it shapes one's sense of self, your references to the thesis can be integrated throughout as you address those themes in your response. Family, justice and egalitarianism can work perfectly fine as long as they are branching off from your thesis; any further linking would be excessive.

Does that answer your question any better?

Angelina  ;D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:19:58 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #739 on: April 28, 2020, 09:06:12 pm »
Another question, how would i address this rubric point for Comm. Mod?
For example, could they ask me in trials specifically about anomalies or specificall about paradoxes?

Students explore how texts may give insight into the anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies in human behavior and motivations, inviting the responder to see the world differently, to challenge assumptions, ignite new ideas or reflect personally. 
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #740 on: April 29, 2020, 09:42:11 am »
+3
Another question, how would i address this rubric point for Comm. Mod?
For example, could they ask me in trials specifically about anomalies or specificall about paradoxes?

Students explore how texts may give insight into the anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies in human behavior and motivations, inviting the responder to see the world differently, to challenge assumptions, ignite new ideas or reflect personally.

Hey, LoneWolf!

They absolutely could ask you specifically on one of those but that doesn't mean you don't refer at all to the "human behaviours and motivations" part of the statement. Think of them as derived from the idea that human behaviours and motivations are complex in nature and that they are what make our human experiences unique. If you were to get a question, for example, solely on anomalies for Billy Elliot, you could address more broadly the way individual experiences are guided by personal desires and passions, those of which may result in anomalous behaviours and motivations (those which deviate from what is standard and/or expected). You would then look at three themes which enable you to explore those behaviours and motivations and how anomalous actions and activities are able to do one of these things: invite the responder to see the world differently/to challenge assumptions/ignite new ideas/reflect personally. Hope that makes sense!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #741 on: April 29, 2020, 01:27:49 pm »
Thats great.
I am studying I am malala.
Would it be to much to ask to ask you to make references/links to that to help me understand (that is if you know the text)!?

thank you
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #742 on: April 29, 2020, 11:19:28 pm »
+3
Thats great.
I am studying I am malala.
Would it be to much to ask to ask you to make references/links to that to help me understand (that is if you know the text)!?

thank you

Hey!

I'd apply the same logic with Malala as well. Her story is really centred around motivations; you look at her own motivations as a person seeking equality, rights and change which are all admirable qualities that we should all strive towards as we navigate through our own human experiences. If I were to look at her in relation to those rubric concepts, there are a few examples that could make strong arguments. Firstly, you could consider her an anomaly in that she deviated from expected behaviours and motivations for women in her country and chose to defy authority figures in name of her own empowerment. A paradox that you could see from this is the idea that it is in hardship and struggle that we truly rise to being the best versions of ourselves and find the rewards of life. Finally, it is because her motivations are inconsistent with the rest of her society's that she became an activist and found her own calling in advocating for women's rights and education. Hopefully this helps with grasping the concepts now that you have some more specific examples for your text!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

applesaregreat12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #743 on: April 29, 2020, 11:37:02 pm »
Hi !!
How would I approach this statement/question for module B?
"An engaging text will skilfully blend ideas, language features and form to generate a
considered response. Discuss this statement with close reference to 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime'"
I don't really understand it and am unsure of how to start my response ;;
Would I link themes and the texts features and talk about how they relate to form a considered response in the thesis?
Thank you

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #744 on: April 30, 2020, 09:31:41 am »
+1
Hey!

I'd apply the same logic with Malala as well. Her story is really centred around motivations; you look at her own motivations as a person seeking equality, rights and change which are all admirable qualities that we should all strive towards as we navigate through our own human experiences. If I were to look at her in relation to those rubric concepts, there are a few examples that could make strong arguments. Firstly, you could consider her an anomaly in that she deviated from expected behaviours and motivations for women in her country and chose to defy authority figures in name of her own empowerment. A paradox that you could see from this is the idea that it is in hardship and struggle that we truly rise to being the best versions of ourselves and find the rewards of life. Finally, it is because her motivations are inconsistent with the rest of her society's that she became an activist and found her own calling in advocating for women's rights and education. Hopefully this helps with grasping the concepts now that you have some more specific examples for your text!

Whooow... thats awesome!
thanks.
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #745 on: April 30, 2020, 03:00:43 pm »
+3
Hi !!
How would I approach this statement/question for module B?
"An engaging text will skilfully blend ideas, language features and form to generate a
considered response. Discuss this statement with close reference to 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime'"
I don't really understand it and am unsure of how to start my response ;;
Would I link themes and the texts features and talk about how they relate to form a considered response in the thesis?
Thank you

Hey, applesaregreat12!

Welcome to the forums  ;D The question is essentially just asking you "what makes this text a great text to study?" In your essay, you'll need to evaluate the effectiveness of Haddon's marriage of language forms and features to create meaning and explore ideas that have relevance to our own time.

The word that's probably throwing you off is "considered"; admittedly, it's a pretty strange one to use. It simply means that your text demonstrates an informed engagement with the intricacies and complexities that underly its major themes. For example, if we were to examine family in "Curious Incident", you could look at how Haddon represents not only the challenges that might affect character dynamics, but also the enriching and valuable aspects that give the individuals a sense of belonging. As you can see, it's not like he's choosing to just take one side and show all that is good or bad about family. He integrates a variety of perspectives and manipulates with the features of prose fiction to illustrate the theme in a way that has "considered" its nuances.

To respond to it, I would advise having three themes and having a variety of techniques in each paragraph (rather than basing your paragraphs solely on setting, narration etc.). By selecting to analyse a diverse range of language forms and features, you'll be able to show the "blend" of techniques in his craft successfully. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

livbochno

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #746 on: July 02, 2020, 08:06:12 pm »
Hi would like to know will we be assessed on our related text for the trial exam for English Standard? And is it also being assessed on in the HSC Exam?  :-[

Thanks,
Olivia

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #747 on: July 02, 2020, 08:10:20 pm »
+4
Hi would like to know will we be assessed on our related text for the trial exam for English Standard? And is it also being assessed on in the HSC Exam?  :-[

Thanks,
Olivia

Hey Olivia!

Great question! You will not be assessed on your related text for Texts and Human Experiences for both the Trials and HSC exams. The related text was only required for your internal assessments so in preparation for your exams, make sure you have enough content to work with for a full-length essay just on your prescribed text :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

sm2001

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #748 on: October 07, 2020, 04:49:50 pm »
Hi,

I am just confused for Module C craft of language, for standard, do they ask for a reflection or is that just for advanced?

because last years paper part B of the module c question it didnt really sound like they wanted you to reflect, they wanted you to 'explain'? or did they want us to reflect?

And also, do we always need to give reference to the texts we studied in module C? What if the question doesnt ask us to make reference to a prescribed text and just says "how has your sutdy of craft of creating helped so and so"?

Sorry i am just really confused!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #749 on: October 07, 2020, 10:23:45 pm »
+3
Hi,

I am just confused for Module C craft of language, for standard, do they ask for a reflection or is that just for advanced?

because last years paper part B of the module c question it didnt really sound like they wanted you to reflect, they wanted you to 'explain'? or did they want us to reflect?

And also, do we always need to give reference to the texts we studied in module C? What if the question doesnt ask us to make reference to a prescribed text and just says "how has your sutdy of craft of creating helped so and so"?

Sorry i am just really confused!

Hey, sm2001!

Great questions! In Module C for English Standard as well as English Advanced, they could either ask you a full 20 marks on a creative/discursive/persuasive/informative response or will split it up into a creative/discursive/persuasive/informative response and a reflection (the most logical mark allocations I would imagine they would work with would be 15-5, 12-8 or 10-10). I think it is highly unlikely, not impossible but highly unlikely, that they will ask solely for a 20 mark response this year because it would just be cruel on you all to throw that sort of a spanner in the works and almost every school has prepared their students to write reflections in Module C so it would make no sense to absolutely wreck a whole cohort like that. It's important to prepare for that possibility because it can happen but I would definitely invest time in being ready for writing a reflection.

Last year's reflection question uses the directive "Explain" but in explaining your creative choices, you will inevitably be reflecting upon them anyway and providing the marker reasons for why you wrote what you did for the response. After you explain what you crafted, it makes sense that you would also evaluate and reflect upon your intentions as a writer and how effectively you think you achieved it. Regardless of what directive is being used, you will still engage as always in reflective analysis using quotes and techniques from your response to justify how your response satisfies the requirements of Part A  :)

I would also advise as a habit to refer to the prescribed texts you studied in Module C in the reflection even if the question doesn't require you to make references to it. It not only allows you to give direct examples of how you're engaging with the language forms, features and styles of your prescribed texts, but it also enhances your reflection by showing the marker that you were consciously thinking about the craft of writing itself and how those texts in particular influenced your writing decisions. These references don't have to be extensive; you don't have to provide quotes from those prescribed texts or anything like that. You could frame it quickly before diving into the main bulk of your analysis like this; "The development of setting is intrinsic with effective characterisation. Bradbury's The Pedestrian demonstrates how the protagonist functions in the short story as a reflection of the conditions of the dystopic society he resides in. My creative response similarly..." This provides some context for the marker on where your creative ideas originated from and how they are both connected to and expand upon the prescribed texts from your study.

Hope this helps and clarifies your questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-