Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:26:20 am

Author Topic: Bianca3016's VCE Journal  (Read 31458 times)

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
Re: Bianca3016's VCE Journal
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 07:48:14 pm »
+2
Congrats for getting through Bio - that's great! :D Re: ranking, it seems unlikely to me to have too big an impact considering there were only 11 marks.

Really stoked you're enjoying EngLang. Hope you continue with it! #nobias #somebias

Thanks Joseph :)
I actually have no idea how ranking works... They don't talk about it so much in our school because they really just want us to perform at our best and then ace the exam ugh

Definitely continuing EngLang, mainstream seems incredibly monotonous and lit isn't my thing :D (EngLang is absolutely the best English subject #nobiasatall)
2017; Biology
2018; Accounting, Chemistry, Economics, English Language, Further Mathematics

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 08:10:59 pm »
+5
Pretty sure it's been a few days since I posted, but it's finally the end of the week eyy
I've been quite busy every afternoon, but having events on every day forces me to get home and be productive straight away, rather than wasting time on unnecessary things.
Today, I had tests in both maths and chem - maths was fine as per usual (except my cas went flat during the test whoops haha), but chemistry wasn't so great. I had been super confident about stoich (did chem olympiads two years in a row, basically 110% stoich) but when I sat the test, I went blank. Like, completely blank.
I'm not sure if I'm able to resit it or hand up alternative work to improve the grade, but I did very badly and I've been rather upset about it all afternoon.

Also;
-Eco has been fantastic this week, I have an amazing class and even better teacher and it's all very motivating
-EngLang was amazing (of course)
-Bio was Bio; it's prac exam time and content revision/repetition has me bored out of my brain, but surprisingly happy?!?
-I'll probably begin to get results back from comps/tests I sat earlier this year, which is my fave thing ever (I dub this time of the year "parents-are-finally-kind-of-proud-of-me month")
-Anxious to know whether PE will be running next year, because if it isn't I have no idea what I'm going to do
-Re:Uni Extension, I don't think I'll be doing it because my school is often hesitant to allow students to take time off of their school subjects (all about those 99.95s here) and so the selection criteria in my school alone will be hard to pass
-Leadership applications are in their midst and I've been told I should apply but I just don't know? This year's group has been so amazing and I don't know if I can live up to that/// Worth a shot, at least

Sorry for the longer post today, I'm in a rambly (?) mood hahaha
Have a lovely weekend, everybody :D
2017; Biology

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 10:43:15 pm »
+3
That sucks about the chem test, but then again it is Year 11, so use it as a learning experience for Year 12. it isn't worth beating yourself up about it :D.

Also apply for leadership positions if you can, one of the many things I wish I has done. As for living up to the high expectations set, don't worry about it, just do what you can do. There will be something you can do, they couldn't .
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 04:19:40 pm »
+4
That sucks about the chem test, but then again it is Year 11, so use it as a learning experience for Year 12. it isn't worth beating yourself up about it :D.

Also apply for leadership positions if you can, one of the many things I wish I has done. As for living up to the high expectations set, don't worry about it, just do what you can do. There will be something you can do, they couldn't .

Hm I guess so, but I was super confident about this test so it was a huge let down when I finished and knew I had failed. Oh well, better to make mistakes now rather than on the 3/4 exam, I guess.

I've decided to apply for house captain, because I think it suits me best, but there are a lot of strong contenders in my team so it'll be interesting to see how far I get.
Thanks for the motivation haha :)
2017; Biology

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 06:32:37 pm »
+2
Hm I guess so, but I was super confident about this test so it was a huge let down when I finished and knew I had failed. Oh well, better to make mistakes now rather than on the 3/4 exam, I guess.

I've decided to apply for house captain, because I think it suits me best, but there are a lot of strong contenders in my team so it'll be interesting to see how far I get.
Thanks for the motivation haha :)
What a coincidence, the position I considered going for was house captain as well due to the face no one in my house was applying for the male role. But I didn't do it in the end because I wasn't know for taking parts in sport and I assumed people would think why is "zofromuxo, house captain they don't do sport". (Which was really a bullshit excuse to be honest).

But nevertheless, I wish you all the best and even if you don't get in at least you know, as opposed to not all. It's a Win-Win for you :D

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 01:36:00 pm »
+2
What a coincidence, the position I considered going for was house captain as well due to the face no one in my house was applying for the male role. But I didn't do it in the end because I wasn't know for taking parts in sport and I assumed people would think why is "zofromuxo, house captain they don't do sport". (Which was really a bullshit excuse to be honest).

But nevertheless, I wish you all the best and even if you don't get in at least you know, as opposed to not all. It's a Win-Win for you :D

Oh no! You should've gone for it :(
Thank you so much :) I can't wait to see how it goes haha
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 09:25:57 pm »
+3
mmmmkay
Today I resat (is that even a word? who knows) my stoich test and I thought I got everything right until I left the room and realised that I'd written a formula as c/V rather than cV ahahahhaha oh god help me...
At least I passed it??? hahhaha

Then I got an email from the vice principal...
Spoiler
Hi Bianca,
Insufficient numbers of students have elected to study this subject next year and so we will, unfortunately, not be running it.
Would you like to replace it with 12PHY or another subject?
Can you please let me know by tomorrow as we need to plan our staffing for next year. You may like to come and talk to me about this.
Are. You. Kidding.
We have at least 9 students wanting PE 3/4, even more wanting 1/2, and 500 sports teachers who aren't busy because my school only has years 9-12, meaning very little sports classes... Surely we can spare one teacher???/ :(((((((((
So yeah... I have not got a clue what I'm going to do in lieu of PE... hmph

This week looks busy, but fun... I have lots of sports to keep me happy and a few frees here and there. Not many tests/assessments, and only 9 school days until holidays.
It's a bit of a shame Crows won because I won't get to see them play for a while :( Would've been the cherry on top of this week
2017; Biology

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 07:16:37 am »
+2
mmmmkay
Today I resat (is that even a word? who knows) my stoich test and I thought I got everything right until I left the room and realised that I'd written a formula as c/V rather than cV ahahahhaha oh god help me...
At least I passed it??? hahhaha

Then I got an email from the vice principal...
Spoiler
Hi Bianca,
Insufficient numbers of students have elected to study this subject next year and so we will, unfortunately, not be running it.
Would you like to replace it with 12PHY or another subject?
Can you please let me know by tomorrow as we need to plan our staffing for next year. You may like to come and talk to me about this.
Are. You. Kidding.
We have at least 9 students wanting PE 3/4, even more wanting 1/2, and 500 sports teachers who aren't busy because my school only has years 9-12, meaning very little sports classes... Surely we can spare one teacher???/ :(((((((((
So yeah... I have not got a clue what I'm going to do in lieu of PE... hmph

This week looks busy, but fun... I have lots of sports to keep me happy and a few frees here and there. Not many tests/assessments, and only 9 school days until holidays.
It's a bit of a shame Crows won because I won't get to see them play for a while :( Would've been the cherry on top of this week
I feel for you about not being able to do PE as your vice principal eluded to it isn't a staffing issues, but a class size issue. As much as you think 1/2 student numbers affect a 3/4 class for a subject, it doesn't which really sucks.
As for a replacement subject, I guess pick something that you remotely like at all at this point.

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 07:31:19 am »
+4
Bianca, if you're really set on studying P.E. in Year 12, I'd recommend having a look into Distance Education. I studied with them in Year 11, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

Applications for 2018 open on the 16th of October, so you have some time to think about it. You can find more information here: http://www.distance.vic.edu.au/

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:09 am »
+3
I feel for you about not being able to do PE as your vice principal eluded to it isn't a staffing issues, but a class size issue. As much as you think 1/2 student numbers affect a 3/4 class for a subject, it doesn't which really sucks.
As for a replacement subject, I guess pick something that you remotely like at all at this point.

Yeah I guess so, but I've seen other classes run with 1/2 and 3/4 students in one class, and plenty of classes running with less than 15 (the minimum) so it was just disappointing to see it not run for another year.
In the end, it's just a subject - and whilst it's one that I was really interested in doing, I may even enjoy another class more.

Bianca, if you're really set on studying P.E. in Year 12, I'd recommend having a look into Distance Education. I studied with them in Year 11, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

Applications for 2018 open on the 16th of October, so you have some time to think about it. You can find more information here: http://www.distance.vic.edu.au/

Ah that's a good idea! I'm not sure if my school will allow me to (especially as I've only done 1 3/4 this year, which means I have 5 next year + PE if I do it through Distance Ed), but I guess it's worth a shot.
Thank you for the idea :D
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »
+4
Hmm.. Not a lot has really happened this week - I'm only checking in because I'm waiting for my tennis sesh and I have to do something to avoid freezing to death ahaha

Bio: all content is finished so we're working through the VCAA 2017 practise exam, which seems ~~fairly easy~~ so far
Chem: we're starting titrations and I'm wondering why we need an entire unit for it? Seems pretty basic? Will this change??
Eco: looooooove it so much, honestly one of the subjects I'm really going to miss when I graduate - teacher's amazing too
EngLang: love it but we spent the last two lessons watching a documentary about the effects of language on cognitive development/the brain in general, it was simultaneously fascinating and boring so idk I was falling asleep in the second lesson... ooops
Further: 'Twas all fun and games until the teacher introduced us to great circles haha I don't think it's hard, it's just taking me a while to get my head around it - anyway, I finished that test last Friday and I think we're getting the results tomorrow
HHD: we have a test thing next week and I don't really care about my grade at this point, I just want to pass and leave the subject (my brain doesn't function properly when it's cold so I accidentally wrote "leave the country" ahaha thank goodness vce exams are in the warmth of late spring)

PE3/4: There is a group of girls that wanted to do PE that are trying everything to make it run. I was all on board, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered anymore? My friend suggested that I do accounting next year and we're pretty alike so I changed my preference to that (from Physics) and honestly, I'm happy to just settle for it at this point...

Usually the end of term 3 is the hardest on me, mentally, intellectually, and physically, but I'm in a really good state right now. I'm really loving school right now, like, really loving it. I think this is mainly attributed to the sports I'm involved in - even though I have to wake up and stay up at ridiculous times of the morning/night, they're the driving force getting me out of bed everyday. If I had one tip for anyone reading this, struggling to stay motivated, find an extracurricular activity/ies to get involved in. Whether it be sports, leadership, or clubs, they'll be the additional push to go to school when you're tired. I travel 2.5hrs morning and night just to get to school and sometimes it's really hard to convince myself it is worth it, particularly in the morning, so these activities do the persuasion for me. Find your passions and use them to do well in other areas of life.
I also applied for house captain and I'm really excited about it (although I'm up against amazing people, so my chances of making it far are slim). I'm fine if I don't get it, or anywhere close to it, I applied and I'm so happy with myself for doing at least that.

It's time for tennis now ehhhh so cold, but have a fabulous Friday everyone!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:58:02 am by bianca3016 »
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 09:27:46 pm »
+4
15/09/2017
Today was a busy but wonderful day. I was late to school, missing biology, but I still had maths, economics, and chemistry.
Maths - ordinary, except we got our tests back (did well - really need to stop treating it as a bludge haha)
Economics - looked at the relationship between efficiency and equity and I'm quite confident in it, which is good. I was talking to my father the other day about how eco is taught and how we're not tested very often (2 tests all year) which works surprisingly well because we remember more content for longer periods of time
Chemistry - started actual titrations... fun to do, but as I asked yesterday, is it really worth spending so long on them?

PE3/4: There is a group of girls that wanted to do PE that are trying everything to make it run. I was all on board, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered anymore? My friend suggested that I do accounting next year and we're pretty alike so I changed my preference to that (from Physics) and honestly, I'm happy to just settle for it at this point...
Following up; I think the biggest issue with how this situation was handled was the way in which we were all informed. Fortunately, the principal set up a meeting with us to explain that it wouldn't be running because of a number of reasons (and actually went through them, rather than making up crap to get out of it). We were all given extra time to choose subjects, options to study through distance ed (but heavily discouraged because a student had done this in previous years and not performed as well as had hoped), and offered the opportunity to meet with the head of whichever department we wanted to go into (in lieu of PE) every week to catch up on the content missed in the 1/2 counterpart. I thought they handled this really well and I'm so glad that it was cleared up - accounting doesn't seem so daunting anymore.

Ended up staying at school until 5, got home fairly late because the city was packed with footy-goers, and now I'm finally relaxing after an exciting week. This weekend is filled with birthdays, studying, and sleeping. Lots and lots of sleeping.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:58:14 am by bianca3016 »
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2017, 06:27:39 pm »
+4
Finally nearing the end of term. I sent in my application for house captain but apparently there were heaps of girls applying so my app (written at 5am on a bus, mind you) wasn't what they were looking for. I don't mind, because I'm still a huge participant in house events, I just thought it'd be really cool to lead the house.
Today marked the last day I'd ever wear my winter uniform to school, and it kind of scared me. I mean, time has just flown so fast... I feel like I was in prep 2 seconds ago. Wow.
I'm sad that this term is ending tomorrow, though. Term four is scheduled to be fast paced and stressful, and I was finally waking up excited to be going to school. I owe my enthusiasm to the sports and extra curricular activities I'm involved in, my friends, and economics + chemistry. I've decided against applying for UMEP Chem subject because my number one focus for 12 years of education has been to do well in school, and I'm prepared to give up everything to get the best score I can achieve.

Biology - finished the course, we're spending classtime revising with the teacher and my holidays are filled with revision lectures
Chemistry - titrations still, I'm looking at chem tutors over the summer holidays to make sure that I'm 110% confident with the 1/2 content because I completely slacked off for the first semester
Economics - efficiency vs equity, started an assessment task today which looks interesting
English Language - so as it turns out, I submitted the wrong document for my essay, it was the copy before my final... Insanely average mark that I'm super disappointed about but I'm going to ask my teacher to mark my real copy just to see where I'm really at (legit will never submit something without checking it ever again)
Further - we. are. learning. how. to. find. the. area. of. triangles. how. is. this. even. year. 11. standard. why. did. i. drop. methods ahahah
HHD - ughhhhh we had a test beginning of this week which was so boring but eh I only have a term of this left... I'm dropping this for accounting in 2018

In other news, Crows are playing Geelong tomorrow night which has me very, very scared... Our home ground, at least? But they keep putting our games on weekdays so I can't fly to Adelaide :(
I currently have a job as a tutor and they've asked me to come back next term, but I've got other commitments in the time slot we had term3. The thing is, I don't want to quit because the girl I'm tutoring has improved so, so much and I love it when she comes back to me and says "I was happy in class today because I knew what I was doing". Her school knows that she's behind the standard but isn't doing anything to help her and it makes me so mad, because I was in her position but on the other end of the spectrum. How unfair is it that this girl has so much potential to do exceptionally well, but the school won't spend all of two seconds assisting her with that? Education means a lot to me because it has literally moulded my entire life, so it's hard for me to watch her dislike school some days just because she's behind her friends. idk...
Also, I WAS UP CRYING ABOUT GREYS ANATOMY S11 FINAL EPISODES UNTIL MIDNIGHT AND COULDnT SEE BECAUSE OF IT THIS MORNING OH MY GOD HELP
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 08:45:57 pm »
+5
Ah boy, it's been ages since I last wrote something on here.
The holidays have been fantastic, in terms of catching up on sleep at least. Unfortunately, I haven't done as much homework and it's starting to bite me in the ass. I don't have all that much left to do, I guess, but I am beginning to get stressed out by the fast-approaching biology exam (which will be the first 3/4 exam for me). My SAC marks have been decent, but our school won't let us know our cohort-rankings so I'm not relying on them for backup.

The past two weeks have been quite fun, nevertheless. My existential crises (what an odd word) have been riveting, Grey's Anatomy catch-ups emotional, and birthday very confusing (am I happy that I have made it to the age of 17, still too lazy to get my Ls, or am I sad to see Crows play so goddamn badly? Who knows? Not me.)
Oh yeah, my boys finished their 2017 season with a bang. Played so well for the entire year and then blew it against the Tigers, of all teams. Now we've lost Lever and Charlie. Ughhh

Ranting/complaining needs to be a VCE subject.

Some VCE-related points to conclude, because it seems I always forget that this journal is a VCE journal;
-I'm really looking forward to starting accounting in 2018 - it's nice to have such a large spread of VCE subjects
-EngLang is the greatest thing on this planet but oh boy I got a terrible mark on my last essay because I submitted the wrong document (the draft was missing a paragraph... shit) (tbh I think she should have let me re-submit seeming as she "lost" my first essay whilst flying because the "airline lost her baggage" -- funny how they only misplaced our essays that she took 2 months to mark... I'm salty about this situation, but she's still a good teacher so I'm happy for that, better than a bad teacher who marks your essays on time)
-I seem to have developed amnesia with this oversleeping, because apparently I have to write up some water-purification experiment for chemistry and I completely forgot about it
-Maths ahhaha what a joke
-Sometimes I miss the challenges of methods, but then I remember that all I did in that class was graph and boy was that depressing
-Bio... I'm starting to get the love for it that I had in term one back (which is really good -- anyone who is reading this and about to go into 3/4 bio please never lose the passion for it, you can do really well as long as the passion is there), but there's a practise exam tomorrow and I can't go because babysitting duties
-I think I've spoken about why I enjoy Economics in another post (tldr; teacher doesn't set many tests and spends the entirety of every period teaching us, meaning we are learning heaps and studying because we want to know more, not because we want a good grade - this kind of thing is hard to come by in a school that manufactures 99.95s by the dozen).

As much as I do complain in this journal thingy, I have to reiterate how important VCE and school is to me. My entire life has been about being at the top of my cohort, and still reaching further, so that I can comfortably sit in a position where whatever I want, academically, I can get easily. I've worked my ass off since a young age to get into the school I'm in now, and I've made a lot of sacrifices in all aspects of life so that I can pursue my decade-old dream of practicing paediatric cardiothoracic surgery. I always make jokes about how I don't care about my study scores, or some subjects, but I really do. They mean the entire world to me. There are a lot of stereotypes about race and its correlation to academic performance at my school, a lot that are not in my favour, and I play along with my peers' jokes but I think sometimes they forget that I've worked just as hard as them to get myself in this position, so its disheartening to see them and other people treat me less seriously.
Anyyywayy... writing on here isn't going to get me into med school so ciao ciao :D
2017; Biology

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 09:05:47 pm »
+1
Ahhh, passion for subjects. +1 on that idea, if you can keep up it alive no matter what you'll do well. I recall going to Economics 3/4 and losing it till a month before the exam, it really lifts you up when you have and bring you down when you don't. But then again, most of us in VCE had stuff we didn't like and look forward to doing stuff we cared about or what someone else cares about :P.

Also I doubt your peers forget you defying the stereotypes at all, they could just be use it to blow off steam and may even be threatened by you defying it. But indulging them doesn't help your case either. I also think that many people in Year 12 maintain this image/facade they project to others, but deep down are going through the same struggles as you in worrying about study scores, subjects, what to do after VCE, what are my passions, the future, etc. So do keep that in mind, that someone somewhere can be fighting something inside that doesn't mainfest on the outside.

I can say that because I did that for up till Year 12, pretending everything was fine on the outside, joking about my marks, saying ATARs was meaningless to me. But when I was alone. I would worry excessively over my ATAR, study score, do I do a gap year or university, what are my pathways, what do I want in life, etc. 

But if anything, use their jokes to motivate you to prove them wrong and reach your goals. I wish you the best on achieving your dream and good luck for the Biology exams.