Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 12:47:31 am

Author Topic: Should I do physics?  (Read 11917 times)  Share 

el8

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Should I do physics?
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:46:10 pm »
Hey guys I'm indecisive about doing physics next year and would really appreciate some advice/opinions on the subject.
I got an A and A+ for physics in year ten and I found all the formula equations on speed, acceleration, energy etc. fairly easy and newtons laws weren't too challenging either. I'm good at maths too.
The only thing I'm worried about is that vce is obviously way harder than year ten and I feel doing physics is a bit of a risk!
Any opinions on the subject in general and in comparison to year ten is valued. Thanks in advance!!

el8

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
Re: Should I do physics?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:57:11 pm »
Do it, it's certainly not that hard if you find maths easy. The maths required for year 12 Physics is about a year 10 or 11 level in my opinion.

Okay thanks!! What do you do aside from the maths involved?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »
+1

el8

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:20:37 pm »
You can always Google "VCE Physics units 1/2 syllabus" or "VCE Physics units 3/4 syllabus" and click on the links with beginning with "http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au"

But in year 11 you do crap like radioactivity and flight which isn't close to anything you do in year 12. But you also do motion and electricity which builds upon your basics for year 12 (not much, but you can benefit from listening in year 11 unlike me).

In year 12 there are four main units and one case study.
- Motion
- Electricity
- Electric power (you won't touch this in year 11)
- Light & matter (also not touched in year 11)
- And one case study your school/physics teacher has chosen (e.g. Structures and materials, Relativity, Sound and more) but this is a small percentage of the overall course compared to the other four units.

The maths itself isn't hard, it's more so the concepts behind each equation; how to apply them, etc. But trust me, it's not hard especially since you bring an A3 cheat sheet with you into the exam (yep, A3... I basically wrote out the entire course on mine lol)

The guy I'm tutoring at the moment isn't even doing methods this year (did unit 1/2 methods but thought it was too hard) but he's acing it so far.

Okay thank you! It's not so much the maths side of it I'm worried about I guess. It's just that I think  motion and electricity would be really boring to learn theory on! Cos some tell me physics is just plotting numbers into formulas and others say otherwise haha

el8

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:53 pm »

I'm a strong advocate of physics as a "high study score" subject, but if you wanna do something that challenges you a bit more and makes your time in class actually worth it (I went to class for the worksheets - my teacher didn't really teach it all that well), then don't choose physics
[/quote]

By that do you mean it's easy to do well in?

Edward Elric

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 08:45:45 pm »
Dont do it, i and many others can agree that this is perhaps one of the worst subjects in vce. Save yourself the anguish of having to put up with the  endless hours of
Equation mashing and dry boring theory. Go for something more interesting like bio or chem if you have not already decided to do them.

el8

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:53:39 pm »
Dont do it, i and many others can agree that this is perhaps one of the worst subjects in vce. Save yourself the anguish of having to put up with the  endless hours of
Equation mashing and dry boring theory. Go for something more interesting like bio or chem if you have not already decided to do them.

Didn't do too well in chemistry this year. Thanks for your reply. What don't you and others like about it?

Inside Out

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 08:55:23 pm »
+1
Hey guys I'm indecisive about doing physics next year and would really appreciate some advice/opinions on the subject.
I got an A and A+ for physics in year ten and I found all the formula equations on speed, acceleration, energy etc. fairly easy and newtons laws weren't too challenging either. I'm good at maths too.
The only thing I'm worried about is that vce is obviously way harder than year ten and I feel doing physics is a bit of a risk!
Any opinions on the subject in general and in comparison to year ten is valued. Thanks in advance!!
definitely do it. If you are good at physics in year 10, you will be good at physics no matter which level you are at as it is basically the same thing.. know formulas and how to apply them intelligently. From my experience, vce physics is more about working hard and not falling behind. Although i will admit that the exam is killer. Physics is defiantly not just plotting formulas into numbers, year 11 and 12 is more applicational than previous years. You have to be good at visualizing stuff and it's about working out which formula to use not what numbers to put in and how to solve that formula (that would be maths not physics)
Bio is definitely the boring one not physics. Bio=memory or what i like to call reading comprehension, physics=application and chem=that hardest subyou'll ever come across.. but of course this only my opinion:)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:02:34 pm by Inside Out »

Edward Elric

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 09:03:59 pm »
+1
Didn't do too well in chemistry this year. Thanks for your reply. What don't you and others like about it?

Everything you need to know is covered comprehensively in pis physics review that he linked earlier in the comments. Definitely check it out :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 11:09:53 pm »
+1
YES DO PHYSICS

2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 11:42:53 pm »
+2
You'll love it if you love math and reasoning.
I dropped it because I lost interest so beware!  8)
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University