Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 10:18:55 pm

Author Topic: SAC marks  (Read 9984 times)  Share 

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
SAC marks
« on: June 08, 2020, 07:46:57 pm »
Hi everyone!
I'm a Cory student and I was wondering if failing one sac can harm my aim of a 45+ study score? For my previous sac I did get one of the top marks in the cohort but I'm scared that if I get a really bad mark now it will ruin any headstart I had. We haven't exactly gotten our marks back but I'm trying to lower my expectations on my results.
Thank you!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: SAC marks
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 11:16:26 am »
+9
Hi homeworkisapotato!
This is a really hard question to answer as its very very dependent on the specifics of your situation - things I don't really know. Firstly it depends on what you classify as a 'failure' - is this hypothetical really bad mark a 90%? 50%? 10%? It also is highly dependent on how others in your class perform. Perhaps you considered it a 'failure' when in reality it might have just been a particularly hard SAC where the rest of the cohort also 'struggled'. In this case, your mark might still put you in the top few in your class and might not be much to worry about.
Regardless of what mark you get, if getting this 45+ study score (or as close to) is important to you, then the best way to do so is not to worry about what mark you might get or to try and calculate your potential study scores, the best thing you can do is to work on improving what you struggled with in the SAC. Reflect honestly and identify your weak areas (this is a hard habit to get into but a very useful skill) so you can smash the next SAC. Worrying about if this last SAC performance is going to ruin your study score is not going to help you improve those skills - it is likely just going to stress you out.

Hopefully you are making out your performance on this last SAC as worse than it actually is and I hope that you are happy with it, but even if its not that OK and I wish you luck in improving for the next one!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 11:37:08 am »
+9
Considering how strong Cory is at bio, I think you should be fine. One of my Cory friends got below 60% in one SAC and still got a mid-40s score.

Regardless of what mark you get, if getting this 45+ study score (or as close to) is important to you, then the best way to do so is not to worry about what mark you might get or to try and calculate your potential study scores, the best thing you can do is to work on improving what you struggled with in the SAC.
Absolutely!

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 08:09:59 pm »
Thank you so much guys! Seriously, I feel so much better! By fail I mean get less than 80% on a pretty easy Bio sac.. especially when unit 3 sacs are weighted more heavily this year due to covid...
Thank you again guys!

b123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 08:20:32 pm »
Hey guys I am new too, and I am struggling to cope with the stress of whether I will be able to get into what I want after the exams, because of my results, I did pretty well last year but this year it was just went down hill.Are my results even capable of atar of at least 85 cause it seems pretty impossible? Do I still have time to improve?

my results are:
Further maths: 53, 73- only done 2 sacs
Legal studies:81, 73,58
Business:60, 65, 77

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 09:40:54 pm »
Hey guys I am new too, and I am struggling to cope with the stress of whether I will be able to get into what I want after the exams, because of my results, I did pretty well last year but this year it was just went down hill.Are my results even capable of atar of at least 85 cause it seems pretty impossible? Do I still have time to improve?

my results are:
Further maths: 53, 73- only done 2 sacs
Legal studies:81, 73,58
Business:60, 65, 77
You can still get a good atar, but that depends on how your cohort goes. If your cohort does well then you might get scaled up, if they do bad then you get scaled down a lot. For further/business I would try to push it up a bit, apparently to get a good study score for those subjects you need in the 80%-90% ish.

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 01:58:44 pm »
Thank you so much guys! Seriously, I feel so much better! By fail I mean get less than 80% on a pretty easy Bio sac.. especially when unit 3 sacs are weighted more heavily this year due to covid...
Thank you again guys!
Oh my gosh hahah nah you'll be fine!

My school was ranked very similar to Cory, I had like a 60-70% average for unit 3 bio and it got moderated up to an A. :)

b123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 07:02:14 pm »
You can still get a good atar, but that depends on how your cohort goes. If your cohort does well then you might get scaled up, if they do bad then you get scaled down a lot. For further/business I would try to push it up a bit, apparently to get a good study score for those subjects you need in the 80%-90% ish.

Thank you so much it actually helped a lot.But yeah for further and business I do need to push a lot but I think I can do it because the next few sacs the topics in the study design are something we covered a lot in unit 1 and 2.Thank you again, and hopefully next time I will get a 90  :)

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 08:09:40 pm »
Hey guys thank you so much for your helpful replies! I got 90% on that sac and only lost a few marks because of a few silly mistakes... I think I dropped a few ranks down to top 5-10 out of like 70-100 people though. I looked at the VCE honour roll for suzanne cory in the past few years and only about 5-6 people get above a 43 study score every year from my school.. does that mean that I cannot get a 45 study score anymore?
Thank you!

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 11:07:04 am »
+3
Hey guys thank you so much for your helpful replies! I got 90% on that sac and only lost a few marks because of a few silly mistakes... I think I dropped a few ranks down to top 5-10 out of like 70-100 people though. I looked at the VCE honour roll for suzanne cory in the past few years and only about 5-6 people get above a 43 study score every year from my school.. does that mean that I cannot get a 45 study score anymore?
Thank you!
Definitely not! Not everyone gives permission for the honour roll to publish their name. I personally know 2 people from Cory who scored 40+ in bio but aren't on the honour roll, and there are undoubtedly more.

You also still have more than 4 months to keep improving your chances at a mid/high 40. Your marks aren't set in stone yet, so just keep working on solidifying your knowledge and doing practice exams. You can still definitely get a 45 (or even higher). :)

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 09:51:18 pm »
Definitely not! Not everyone gives permission for the honour roll to publish their name. I personally know 2 people from Cory who scored 40+ in bio but aren't on the honour roll, and there are undoubtedly more.

You also still have more than 4 months to keep improving your chances at a mid/high 40. Your marks aren't set in stone yet, so just keep working on solidifying your knowledge and doing practice exams. You can still definitely get a 45 (or even higher). :)

Thank you for replying! Is it possible for people who are not in the top 10 SAC ranks to get above 45?
I was looking at the study design and it seems that the unit 3 sacs are weighted more than the unit 4 sacs, and that the unit 4 aos 1 sac is worth 40 marks instead of 30. How does all of that affect how the averages are calculated?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 09:55:34 pm »
+1
Thank you for replying! Is it possible for people who are not in the top 10 SAC ranks to get above 45?
I was looking at the study design and it seems that the unit 3 sacs are weighted more than the unit 4 sacs, and that the unit 4 aos 1 sac is worth 40 marks instead of 30. How does all of that affect how the averages are calculated?
Hmm depends on how far out of the top 10 they are. Obviously further away from the top 10 makes it harder. If they are not jsut on the fringes of the top 10 they would likely need an exam score equivalent to high 40's/50 to yield a 45+ study score.

It doesn't really change how averages are calculated. Unit 3 and Unit 4 are still calculated separately so you will get two ranks.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:01:24 pm by Sine »

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 10:20:14 pm »
Hmm depends on how far out of the top 10 they are. Obviously further away from the top 10 makes it harder. If they are not jsut on the fringes of the top 10 they would likely need an exam score equivalent to high 40's/50 to yield a 45+ study score.

It doesn't really change how averages are calculated. Unit 3 and Unit 4 are still calculated separately so you will get two ranks.
So does unit 4 aos 1 sacs being worth 40 marks rather than 30 like the other unit 4 sacs make it weighted higher? Sorry for the continuous questions! I'm just really confused and whenever I ask people at school they just tell me to trust fate  :o

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 10:25:55 pm »
+2
So does unit 4 aos 1 sacs being worth 40 marks rather than 30 like the other unit 4 sacs make it weighted higher? Sorry for the continuous questions! I'm just really confused and whenever I ask people at school they just tell me to trust fate  :o
no, in the updated study design both unit 3 and unit 4 are worth 20% each with the exam worth 60%.

I think it is 40 vs 30 marks because before the study design update unit 4 was worth more than unit 3.

https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/adjustedSD2020/2020BiologySD.pdf

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 08:48:51 am »
no, in the updated study design both unit 3 and unit 4 are worth 20% each with the exam worth 60%.

I think it is 40 vs 30 marks because before the study design update unit 4 was worth more than unit 3.

https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/adjustedSD2020/2020BiologySD.pdf
but individually unit 4 sacs are worth less right? because now unit three sacs are worth 10% each and unit 4 sacs are worth like 6-ish% each.