Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:41 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Business (Monash Caulfield)  (Read 22135 times)  Share 

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
Re: Bachelor of Business (Monash Caulfield)
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 05:19:52 pm »
Once you gain experience your degree IMO becomes less of a priority to employers

Your not wrong there. Experience plays a big role

costargh

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 07:49:43 pm »
Aside from that, if you like some of the subjects @ Clayton that aren't @ Caulfield, u can jst take the shuttle bus that runs between Caulfield and Clayton every 25 mins 2g2 classes @ Clayton.

How does that work? So could I do some of the BCom subjects in first semester? =S

mand3e

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Year 12 makes me emo.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 11:19:59 pm »
The BEco is at Clayton (which I would prefer to do actually) but once again my shitness @ methods has made me ineligible for selection =(

25 in methods or spesh and 25 in English... unless this years VTAC guide changes that (OMG WOOD BE THE HAPPIEST PERSON EVER!!!)
Thanks btw
dude, im totally in the same boat as you. i dropped methods as well... and REALLY REALLY wanted to get into clayton, but alas can't get into a business course in clayton unless your doing at least methods :(  not cool, not cool at all.
2007: International Studies (38)
2008: Accounting, Economics, English, Further Maths, Psychology.

If we're doing similar subjects, feel free to befriend me.
"You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours!" LOL

droodles

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 11:23:47 pm »
rofl BL methods is like cake and vanilla milkshakes

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 11:30:27 pm »
The BEco is at Clayton (which I would prefer to do actually) but once again my shitness @ methods has made me ineligible for selection =(

25 in methods or spesh and 25 in English... unless this years VTAC guide changes that (OMG WOOD BE THE HAPPIEST PERSON EVER!!!)
Thanks btw
dude, im totally in the same boat as you. i dropped methods as well... and REALLY REALLY wanted to get into clayton, but alas can't get into a business course in clayton unless your doing at least methods :(  not cool, not cool at all.

You could always do a diploma at Monash College? You'll be paying more though.

costargh - they are equivalent units. MGC1010 = MGF1010 for example. They are simply named differently (I believe MGC1010 is Managing People and Organisations as is Business Law = Commerical Law).

There will be subtle differences, but the general gist of the subjects will be similar.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 11:42:49 pm »

Thanks btw

If you dropped methods, I don't think doing commerce is good sign. Commerce is math in every sense (yes, even in management!), and it can get complicated at times. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do commerce, but without having a sound mathematical background (especially to read, interpret and create graphs and other forms of statistics) is a definite necessity, most importantly in finance (Financial Services).

My A$0.02.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

costargh

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 11:52:46 pm »
I completely disagree with you Applexy. Not boasting here, but the fact that I get all A's/A+'s in my commerce/ey subjects (legal, business management, accounting and economics) says more about my ability to perform well in Commerce than methods does. Maths methods isn't the only indicator of mathematical ability and one should not be judged on how well they can perform in a commerce degree purely on the fact that the aren't good with integrals.

Btw- thanks excalibur. do you know though say, If I would be able to do 1 or 2 subjects @ clayton towards my degree? (with the intention being to transfer to BCom after I pass (hopefully) the maths methods equivilant subject @ Uni after 1st year?
does anyone know what subject that is called?

mande- I didnt drop methods, I did it last year and got 24 cause im retarded

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 12:39:42 am »
I completely disagree with you Applexy. Not boasting here, but the fact that I get all A's/A+'s in my commerce/ey subjects (legal, business management, accounting and economics) says more about my ability to perform well in Commerce than methods does. Maths methods isn't the only indicator of mathematical ability and one should not be judged on how well they can perform in a commerce degree purely on the fact that the aren't good with integrals.

Btw- thanks excalibur. do you know though say, If I would be able to do 1 or 2 subjects @ clayton towards my degree? (with the intention being to transfer to BCom after I pass (hopefully) the maths methods equivilant subject @ Uni after 1st year?
does anyone know what subject that is called?

mande- I didnt drop methods, I did it last year and got 24 cause im retarded

Being bad with integrals would cost you less than 20% on the exams, and you could have done well in Methods still. That said, however, calculus is probably one of the more important parts of Methods with regards to its relevance to a commerce degree.

It's a pre-requisite for a reason. And I can say that quite confidently because those pre-requisites aren't arbitrarily assigned by some government agency -- they are assigned by the universities themselves, the ones that actually have an interest to filter out the crap from the good.

I wouldn't really use VCE subjects as an indicator. Universities don't. They don't use it as a pre-requisite, and I don't think they use it in middle-band considerations.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:41:48 am by coblin »

costargh

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 01:02:25 am »
The integrals thing was just a reference to methods, I really don't know what's in the methods course to be honest. I know a person who got <50 as her ENTER and is studying BCom. Didn't get straight in through VTAC obviously

ANU doesn't have methods as pre-req for Com. That doens't make the degree harder or the subjects harder. If Monash was keen on filtering out the crap from their uni then they would put methods as a pre-req for all their commerce/ey degrees; Business and Commerce @ Berwick and Business @ Caulfield because they are basically the same/equivalent subjects.

Methods is a pre-req (VCE subject) so I don't knwo why they would be using it as an indicator and not using the similar VCE subjects as an indicator. Eg. Science degrees usually need English + 1 or 2 VCE science subjects right?
Meh- I know methods isnt a good indicator for com but it is of no importance to me anymore cause im gonna get where i wanna be by doing the uni subject that is equivalent and transfering. Just some stupid rule that I have to live with
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:04:51 am by costargh »

pepsi

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 01:29:34 am »
I have the same problem as Costargh last year and have posted on the 'other vce forum' regarding the exact same concern. I did further maths (the easier option) not knowing that methods was a prerequisite for Clayton until it was too late. Now im doing really well on my BCommerce degree at Deakin Burwood.

Would I still need to do a method equivalent uni subject to be able to transfer to Clayton next year? :( I really wanna finish my degree at Clayton since i can get there by car very easily. Deakin's study environment is apparently quite good though.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:12:01 am by pepsi »

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 02:01:33 am »
I meant the VCE commerce subjects, as an indicator for entry into commerce.

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 08:12:40 am »
I was just saying, If you can't do methods, then uni math subjects would be difficult.

Eg. Quantitative Methods 1,2.
NPVs (Net Present Value) for Accounting
Brownian Motion for Finance
Advanced Productivity and production measures in management.
Calculus (finding the rate of increase of an asset etc)

I know, you could say, I could use a scientific calc blah... but it's really useful to know them.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:11 am »
Note that the first two units (or their equivalents) that AppleXY listed are compulsory in the BCom at Melbourne.

Quantitative Methods 1 and 2.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:06 am »

TBH... I don't think u need that much mathematical knowledge.

McTaggart, D., Findlay, C. & Parkin, M., Economics 5th edition, Pearson Education Australia, 2007 = my micro and macro eco txtbook.

It has an appendix to chapter one that explains how to understand a linear equation >.>
Year 8 stuff.

As long as you can stumble through the compulsory core units that require maths, I don't think the emphasis is on maths *that* much in majors like Business Law, Management, Marketing, Asian Development and Transition, Human Resource Management, or... there's a new major that's done cross-faculty with IT... don't know much about that one tho.

It's easy to say "Oh, Commerce needs maths".
But BCom covers such a broad area of topics, and I don't think it's fair to say that they ALL involve maths.
I think u'll do fine in a BCom degree, so long as u're particularly careful about wot units, majors and minors u do.
And it's not like u and maths r totally incompatible - u did only miss out by a single point after all.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 08:19:44 pm »
Still early days Jess...just wait until you get into your econometrics (ETC1100 I think?) stuff :P
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator