Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:57 pm

Author Topic: BIO SE feedback  (Read 3582 times)

dpate68

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
BIO SE feedback
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:52:51 am »
Hey Bri its me again, could please give me some feedback on my biology student experiment. So for that we went out at the QUT SERF facility conducted stratified sampling. So then I chose to investigate the effect of  soil moisture on the percentage shrub cover this specific species. I mainly need help with my rationale, trends patterns and relationships and limitations of evidence. Thank you in advance.  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:52:11 pm by dpate68 »

dpate68

• Adventurer
Re: BIO SE feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 09:28:13 am »
Hey, Bri (or anyone else) would you be able to give me some feedback on this asap, as i need to submit a checkpoint for school.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 09:34:16 am »
+1
Hey, Bri (or anyone else) would you be able to give me some feedback on this asap, as i need to submit a checkpoint for school.

Hey, yep. Missed this earlier but happy to give feedback today :)

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:18:41 am »
Ohk, Thank you  :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 10:37:34 am »
+4
Ohk, Thank you  :)

Here's your feedback!

I actually thought this was a pretty good write up in some ways so please try not to take it too much to heart that my comments are focused on things to improve - that's just because I want to spend my time helping you get better! :) You've probably noticed this in my other feedback I give but since I've now completed all the requirements for a bachelor of science majoring in ecology and conservation biology (I'm now doing ecological/conservation biology research as my final/honours year) sometimes I'm especially hard on bio assessments. Again, it's just because I want to help people improve so I focus my comments on that.

I think for you the main things to focus on are:
- reworking the rationale to be focused more on the rationale and less on the methods ( I recommend a rewrite)
- editing the methods, making sure to include enough information that someone at a different school who doesn't know you could repeat what you did
- looking at your processed/raw data table  (unfortunately you may need to redo the stats but your formulas are right)
- make sure you're clear/specific enough with your language and are very comfortable with the differences between precision, reliability & validity. Some of your points are great but there is a bit of change needed

With SE, that's used to create a confidence interval around the sample mean, where it is highly likely that the true mean is somewhere in that interval. If the true mean falls within that interval then your data is accurate. (Accuracy is not about how big/small the SE is)

I hope this helps & please feel free to ask follow up questions etc. :)

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 11:16:39 am »
Regarding the data, I can't really compare the two variables if I put the mean, SD and SE for each transect number, and originally i had the distance along the transect before the factor, but my teacher told me to remove it as it's not relevant.

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 11:20:34 am »
Oh and I wasn't sure on what to write in the safety and ethical considerations section.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 11:48:49 am »
+5
Hey dpate68,
I've gone through and made some comments. Overall, it was pretty good and you're on the right track.
Hope it helps - give us a shout if you have any questions :)
Katelyn
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 12:45:46 pm »
+1
Regarding the data, I can't really compare the two variables if I put the mean, SD and SE for each transect number, and originally i had the distance along the transect before the factor, but my teacher told me to remove it as it's not relevant.

I may be misunderstanding your method here (hence the differences in approaches) can you clarify what your strata were?

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 12:55:21 pm »
Percentage cover and soil moisture, is that what your asking?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 01:14:01 pm »
+3
Percentage cover and soil moisture, is that what your asking?

Nah.

What I'm talking about is this:
When you conduct stratified sampling, you sampling from particular strata / characteristics.

E.g. if I was surveying people I might select strata (e.g. based on age) and then randomly sample people from each strata to ask them about their health and political views. If I was investigating if health can be used to predict political views my dependent variable would be political views, my independent variable would be health, and the strata would be the age classes I sampled from.

Maybe another way I can clear things up is by showing this potential image for a results table:

This way of looking at the data would highlight differences between transects, and is useful if you are trying to see the differences between your transects. The way you have analysed your data is suited for if you are trying to obscure the differences between transects.

Does this help at all?

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 02:04:15 pm »
Ohhhhk, that helps so much I will try doing that. Thanks Bri

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 04:30:34 pm »
Hey so i've made most of the changes, however i need help with limitations and conclusion. I also need help with reducing my word count. feedback would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:14:09 pm by dpate68 »

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 10:47:04 am »
Heya, your limitations and conclusion look pretty good. Is there anything in particular you are struggling with? I have gone through and read over it again - hope it helps :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 05:33:26 pm »
oh yea regarding the analysis do i have to mention that an outlier is present, because there are two points of equal distance from the trendline.