Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:36:27 pm

Author Topic: What happens if I meet the lowest ATAR but not selection rank?  (Read 2001 times)  Share 

cmati

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
What happens if I meet the lowest ATAR but not selection rank?
« on: January 18, 2021, 01:16:55 pm »
What happens if I meet the lowest ATAR of a course but not lowest selection rank?

Do universities see your ATAR on its own and your Selection Rank? Will I still get in?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: What happens if I meet the lowest ATAR but not selection rank?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 05:43:26 pm »
+8
I think (not 100% sure) that unis do see your ATAR, but they will automatically apply their adjustments when considering offers e.g. SEAS and subject bonuses, where applicable. As far as I know, the only real thing the institutes consider is your selection rank when ranking everyone for offers.

If you have received the lowest ATAR but miss out on the lowest selection rank for your cohort, then it becomes less likely that you’ll receive an offer as you’re deemed less competitive, but you might be considered in later rounds assuming you’ve got said course as a higher preference than you’ve been previously offered.

As for “will you still get in?”, it depends on how many spots are left, how many people are vying for it (still want that course according to preferences) and how competitive you are. Since this isn’t made public, you won’t know until you get offered (or are unsuccessful in all rounds) if you’ll get in or not.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

cmati

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 12:19:21 pm »
I think (not 100% sure) that unis do see your ATAR, but they will automatically apply their adjustments when considering offers e.g. SEAS and subject bonuses, where applicable. As far as I know, the only real thing the institutes consider is your selection rank when ranking everyone for offers.

If you have received the lowest ATAR but miss out on the lowest selection rank for your cohort, then it becomes less likely that you’ll receive an offer as you’re deemed less competitive, but you might be considered in later rounds assuming you’ve got said course as a higher preference than you’ve been previously offered.

As for “will you still get in?”, it depends on how many spots are left, how many people are vying for it (still want that course according to preferences) and how competitive you are. Since this isn’t made public, you won’t know until you get offered (or are unsuccessful in all rounds) if you’ll get in or not.

Thanks for you reply. I've done some digging and turns out the Lowest ATAR for courses are usually those that are receive the Lowest Selection Rank. Since Monash allows 10 SEAS/subject bonus points there is usually a 10 point difference between the two. So for Law the lowest ATAR they took was 87.05, which would've also been the same person who got the lowest selection rank of 97, meaning 9.95 aggregate points.

Do you think its possible that the lowest ATAR they take won't meet the lowest selection rank?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:59:03 pm by cmati »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 05:45:17 pm »
+3
Do you think its possible that the lowest ATAR they take won't meet the lowest selection rank?
Highly unlikely, but with the caveat of being potentially given an offer if someone’s selection rank was very close in Round 2 onwards (although, this is rare). AFAIK, the selection data usually lists the ATARs/ selection ranks from Round 1 unless stated otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 05:48:03 pm by AngelWings »
VTAC Info Thread

cmati

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 05:55:07 pm »
Highly unlikely, but with the caveat of being potentially given an offer if someone’s selection rank was very close in Round 2 onwards (although, this is rare). AFAIK, the selection data usually lists the ATARs/ selection ranks from Round 1 unless stated otherwise.

Legend, thank you. So it is possible that Monash has accepted lower ATARs & Selection Ranks (but high unlikely) after Round 1?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 07:37:39 pm »
+2
Legend, thank you. So it is possible that Monash has accepted lower ATARs & Selection Ranks (but high unlikely) after Round 1?
Yes, as far as I know.
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 07:58:21 pm »
+2
As AngelWings has said fairly sure all those stats they give out are round 1 and then it is possible for them to go lower for subsequent rounds. However, this is all dependent on that institution/course giving out round 2 offers and the selection ranks of anyone else wanting a round 2 offer.