Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:54:25 pm

Author Topic: Plays  (Read 1109 times)  Share 

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Plays
« on: November 08, 2016, 08:35:20 pm »
Hey!

I'm doing a play Away by Michael Gow for my prescribed text for AoS- Discovery; how would you all suggest going about analysing plays in general (I only have the script for Away)? I really struggle with it.

Thanks for the help guys!

You are all doing really great!!!!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Plays
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:40:44 pm »
Hey!

I'm doing a play Away by Michael Gow for my prescribed text for AoS- Discovery; how would you all suggest going about analysing plays in general (I only have the script for Away)? I really struggle with it.

Thanks for the help guys!

You are all doing really great!!!!

I definitely recommend actually watching the play! If anywhere around you is presenting it (I doubt it, but worth a shot at googling) then it would be great to see in person, if not I'm sure you can watch it somewhere online. Plays are visual, and it allows you to see the words on the page really as they are intended! If you aren't a drama/theatre person, plays can seem quite inaccessible at first, so visually enhancing it all can be important.

Then, look into syntax closely. Stichomythia, high modality, low modality, interjections...all of these things relate to speech, spoken word. So plays have to use the words on the page to actually reflect how things should be spoken. So, you're actually looking at "vocal" techniques, in the language, a lot of the time :) Of course, symbolism, metaphors, all of that will likely still exist. But the aforementioned is what makes plays different! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

morning Glory

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Plays
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:21:09 pm »
+2
Late reply but, if you're in Sydney, they're showing a production of Away at the Opera House.
Link here:
https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/whatson/stc-2017-away.aspx