Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:30:28 am

Author Topic: Creative Writing  (Read 3611 times)  Share 

hatshepsut007

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Creative Writing
« on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:59 am »
Hi can someone please read my creative writing and see how it is.
Thanks!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Creative Writing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:15:38 am »
Hi can someone please read my creative writing and see how it is.
Thanks!!

Hey hatshepsut007! Welcome to the forums! ;D

We certainly can, we have a creative marking thread here where you can post your creative for feedback! We do have a post requirement though, just so the markers can keep up, you need 15 ATAR Notes Forum posts for every piece you'd like marked. Hang around the site for a bit and you'll build that up really quickly ;D

Full essay marking policies here.

Thanks in advance!

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 06:11:01 pm »
what kind of stories do the markers do not want to hear ??

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 06:16:46 pm »
+1
1. Non-fiction, especially fantasy etc.
2. Teenage angst

Those are mostly it. And it's because they become easy ways out. Anything else is absolutely fine so as it incorporates the rubric really well.

(Although don't write a story that makes the exam marker feel depressed over his/her job. Be nice to your marker.)

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 09:18:15 am »

Anything to do with school too apparently

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:02:05 am »
+1

Also cliche refugee stories and sensitive topics like abortion shouldn't be tackled unless you have a fresh perspective, otherwise it can become really superficial. Science fiction/fantasy can be hard to do in such little time. However usually a great writer can ignore all of these warnings. And Rui is right, if you are connecting with discovery effectively then it mostly won't matter.  :) :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

Linah.Afridi

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Macarthur Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 12:08:59 pm »
Hi ! just needed heaps of feedback on my creative would really appreciate it :)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uf47klOonLtywPktiAuEeVlx-ax7uaDzl60XbchavLo/edit?usp=sharing

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 12:56:58 pm »
Hi ! just needed heaps of feedback on my creative would really appreciate it :)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uf47klOonLtywPktiAuEeVlx-ax7uaDzl60XbchavLo/edit?usp=sharing

Hi again Linah.Afridi! I'm afraid we have the same policy for creative pieces ie. 30 posts here on ATAR Notes in exchange for each creative piece marked, so none of our amazing markers will be able to have a look at your piece until you've hit that 30 post mark  :)  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

mm_145678

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Newcastle High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 08:49:32 pm »
Hey guys, I did my discovery creative last term and got a 10/15 which I was pretty happy with! However, the marker said I had a cliched idea, I don't understand how it is cliched? My story was about a nurse who got attacked by a patient at work, coming back to work she rediscovers her love for her job through helping the different patients. When she calls the next patient it turns out to be the guy who attacked her, whilst treating him she begins to make small talk and get to know him. Whilst talking to him she discovers that he is deeply remorseful for what he did and that he really is not such a bad person.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 12:11:47 am »
Hey guys, I did my discovery creative last term and got a 10/15 which I was pretty happy with! However, the marker said I had a cliched idea, I don't understand how it is cliched? My story was about a nurse who got attacked by a patient at work, coming back to work she rediscovers her love for her job through helping the different patients. When she calls the next patient it turns out to be the guy who attacked her, whilst treating him she begins to make small talk and get to know him. Whilst talking to him she discovers that he is deeply remorseful for what he did and that he really is not such a bad person.

Hey there!! Welcome to the forums!! ;D

Well done on that mark!! Definitely a great result, especially for the start of the game, with work you'll be able to push your mark higher and higher! It can be hard to decide whether something is cliched, because your story specifics (the setting, characters, etc) aren't. What I would say is cliche is the idea of:

- Someone does something bad to the protagonist
- Protagonist then gives that person a chance
- That person redeems themselves in some way

This is the basis for a lot of stories and films - The Beauty and the Beast remake is out soon, the very core of your story is similar to that if you think about it? :)

It's the fact that your protagonist ends up interacting and treating the person that attacked them at the start of the piece, that is what feels cliched to me. It is a little predictable in that sense. It's not as cliched as some other things I've seen, but I do agree with the teachers comments. What do you think? :)

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 07:48:11 am »
Creative writing is pretty much my worst fear in english!!!
How do I 'move my story along'?? It always seems to be very 'static'...and really doesn't end up going anywhere...

Any tips would be appreciated!!
thx :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 10:25:37 am »
Creative writing is pretty much my worst fear in english!!!
How do I 'move my story along'?? It always seems to be very 'static'...and really doesn't end up going anywhere...

Any tips would be appreciated!!
thx :)

Hey JD! I think there is a few things that could be keeping your stories a little stagnant - You should have a read of our Ultimate Creative Writing Guide! It has a heap of tips on making sure you've got a good story, how to develop characters, respond to the stimulus properly, and heaps more :)

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 11:42:07 am »
+1
Wow! Thanks for that!
I'll definitely be using this, and will show it to the rest of my class as I know there are others who also struggle with this!

Thanks again!