Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:28:36 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 208593 times)  Share 

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2017, 09:15:08 am »
+1
Hi i would love some quick feedback on my essay for module B by Wilfred Owen essay before i handed it today thank.

Hey :) Sorry to say but you need 15 posts to get an essay marked. It should also be posted in advance in the essay marking thread because the markers need some time to read over it.

Some quick points.

You need to adapt your introductions to the question given. You've gone straight into the technical analysis without establishing your position.
I haven't read it all but your analysis seems good enough, the transitions between your paragraphs I would change. To continue, In conclusion. Be more creative!
Is this for discovery? You haven't made much reference from what I've seen. You need to integrate the ideas in the syllabus and question. Try fix that up.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:30:00 am by jamonwindeyer »
Heavy Things :(

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2017, 03:40:41 pm »
Hey! I can't help too much here, but one thing to consider would be movie posters/advertisements!! Often they can be quite conceptually rich, and picking the right one could give you something good to analyse ;D
Ok cool thanks...
Is anyone able to upload an image of what they believe to be an inner journey?? Im finding it a bit hard to find one that i can write an entire essay on... I was kind of thinking of one that had a room full of doors but ive been searching for ages now and nothing of the sort comes up :(
Thanks heaps in advance very kind....

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2017, 06:19:13 pm »
Ok cool thanks...
Is anyone able to upload an image of what they believe to be an inner journey?? Im finding it a bit hard to find one that i can write an entire essay on... I was kind of thinking of one that had a room full of doors but ive been searching for ages now and nothing of the sort comes up :(

I'm not sure if this is the direction you want to go in: but do you think it's worth looking into mental health depictions in art? I can imagine this kind of thing would have lots of layers and no doubt has been creatively depicted before. Particularly the healing process, coming to terms with conditions, and rehabilitating.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #258 on: June 18, 2017, 02:54:42 pm »
Hey, so I've got to write a study guide in the form of a visual speech on the relevance of Maus (my ORT) to Module A: Experience through Language - Distinctively Visual. I'm not very creative and was wondering if firstly you had any suggestions on how to engage my audience (English teachers). I'm also looking for a creative motif that I can use throughout my whole speech that relates to this module and/or Maus. I personally think something that gradually gets easier to visualise would work as I want my audience to also continue to see that Maus is a perfect example for distinctively visual and The Shoe-horn Sonata (my prescribed text).  I'll attach my task below if you didn't understand my explanation or want any further details. Thanks in advance :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #259 on: June 18, 2017, 08:19:57 pm »
Hey, so I've got to write a study guide in the form of a visual speech on the relevance of Maus (my ORT) to Module A: Experience through Language - Distinctively Visual. I'm not very creative and was wondering if firstly you had any suggestions on how to engage my audience (English teachers). I'm also looking for a creative motif that I can use throughout my whole speech that relates to this module and/or Maus. I personally think something that gradually gets easier to visualise would work as I want my audience to also continue to see that Maus is a perfect example for distinctively visual and The Shoe-horn Sonata (my prescribed text).  I'll attach my task below if you didn't understand my explanation or want any further details. Thanks in advance :)

Hey 12070, there's a few possibilities here :)

Firstly, my sister did a speech on the concept of family in her English texts. She put some black and white images of family on the screen, and over the course of her 12 minute speech the pictures slowly came to colour as her argument was that each composer colours in "family" in a different way, and upon initial reading you'd hardly recognise it.
In Ext 1, I did a speech on texts and whenever I used quotes from the text, I'd put them up on the board behind me as well so that they could really resonate with my audience.

Do you think you want to engage both the language, like I did, and images, like my sister did? Or are you more keen on balancing it out so that the speech is completely dependent on the presentation behind you? Both work. My sister and I did our presentations in a way that the material supported our speech, rather than MADE the speech. But there's nothing wrong with doing this otherwise, unless your teacher has said not to. What do you think?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

• Trendsetter
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2017, 09:07:25 pm »
Hey 12070, there's a few possibilities here :)

Firstly, my sister did a speech on the concept of family in her English texts. She put some black and white images of family on the screen, and over the course of her 12 minute speech the pictures slowly came to colour as her argument was that each composer colours in "family" in a different way, and upon initial reading you'd hardly recognise it.
In Ext 1, I did a speech on texts and whenever I used quotes from the text, I'd put them up on the board behind me as well so that they could really resonate with my audience.

Do you think you want to engage both the language, like I did, and images, like my sister did? Or are you more keen on balancing it out so that the speech is completely dependent on the presentation behind you? Both work. My sister and I did our presentations in a way that the material supported our speech, rather than MADE the speech. But there's nothing wrong with doing this otherwise, unless your teacher has said not to. What do you think?

Hey, Elyse, I think I'm going to make my material support the speech. I was thinking of doing something like what your sister did so that the full image isn't revealed until the end. A rough idea I have is to gradually create the Star of David using barbed wire to represent how the Jews were trapped wherever they tried to go reflecting the power that the Nazis had over them. This will be supported by the techniques of Zoomorphism, schematic diagrams and finally a visual metaphor of several roads that form a swastika which is where the star will be revealed. Should I only do parts of the star at first or should I make the image really blurred and gradually put it in focus. How would you do this or is this a bad idea altogether? Also, do you have any tips or guides for speech writing as I usually write them like an essay which teachers hate?

ProfLayton2000

• Trailblazer
  • School: Baulkham Hills High
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2017, 09:10:18 pm »
Any tips on how to structure a speech? (ive got a mod c speech to write)

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2017, 09:13:57 pm »
Any tips on how to structure a speech? (ive got a mod c speech to write)

Can you provide any details? Were you given a specific question?

https://atarnotes.com/speech-tips-for-assessments/

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171348.0

There's some advice that helps with the speech giving part but are you asking about the content and structure? You want to be speaking TO the audience not AT. What differentiates a speech from essay is the way you present it.

Sorry if the advice is a bit vague but I can't really help without any topics or specific detail :(

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »
Hey guys! I have a question about using an artwork in AOS discovery.
Considering that there is no characters in most artworks, how do we write about it?

Do we base it off on our own experience of discovery (basis to what is considered "Responders") and write about it?

Caus I think it would be an interesting point to make in a response to any question that discoveries can occur within and out of text.

And also, would it be a good idea to pre-write an essay for Discovery, since the questions can be so broad... I'm comfortable with doing it with the other modules but not so much for AOS.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:58:34 pm by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

Blazeee

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2017, 07:01:42 pm »
+1
Ok cool thanks...

Hay did you find one? I've got a couple of good ones if u need...LMK if you still want one!

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2017, 06:41:21 pm »
+1
Hey guys! I have a question about using an artwork in AOS discovery.
Considering that there is no characters in most artworks, how do we write about it?

Do we base it off on our own experience of discovery (basis to what is considered "Responders") and write about it?

Caus I think it would be an interesting point to make in a response to any question that discoveries can occur within and out of text.

And also, would it be a good idea to pre-write an essay for Discovery, since the questions can be so broad... I'm comfortable with doing it with the other modules but not so much for AOS.

Pre-writing in general isn't the best idea if you're going to depend on it. I would definitely have an essay in mind when sitting the paper but you can't just regurgitate an essay and get a good mark, answering the questions is important.

That said, definitely have an essay drafted with all your quotes and concepts. It'll help your understanding of the texts.

• Trendsetter
« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2017, 07:43:18 pm »
Distinctively visual technique 1
•   Describe and reveal distinctively visual element
•   Outline composer’s point of view created through the distinctively visual
•   Analyse language forms and features

Spiegelman’s Maus depicts the power and control that the Germans held over the Jews during WWII. This is reflected by a visual metaphor of a swastika illustrated on page 125 which develops a confronting image for the audience as they visualise the irony in ‘We walked in the direction of Sosnowiec- but where to go’ demonstrating that the Jews were inevitably trapped.

Okay, so I'm trying to write a speech that has all of the essential information without digressing into writing an essay (applicable above). How do you reconstruct the key information into the form of a speech?

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2017, 06:12:56 pm »
+1
Distinctively visual technique 1
•   Describe and reveal distinctively visual element
•   Outline composer’s point of view created through the distinctively visual
•   Analyse language forms and features

Spiegelman’s Maus depicts the power and control that the Germans held over the Jews during WWII. This is reflected by a visual metaphor of a swastika illustrated on page 125 which develops a confronting image for the audience as they visualise the irony in ‘We walked in the direction of Sosnowiec- but where to go’ demonstrating that the Jews were inevitably trapped.

Okay, so I'm trying to write a speech that has all of the essential information without digressing into writing an essay (applicable above). How do you reconstruct the key information into the form of a speech?

Writing a speech mainly is comprised of you talking to an audience. You want to give them quotes/evidence but not seem like you're just reading.

Have a read of the threads I posted regarding speeches. Those are some helpful links I would say.

https://atarnotes.com/speech-tips-for-assessments/

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171348.0

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
« Reply #268 on: June 24, 2017, 04:58:06 pm »
Hey, i'm having trouble interpreting our set question - "Distinctive images offer a variety of perspectives on the world and our relationships within it. Compare..." My texts are 'Run Lola Run' by Tom Tykwer and 'Rules of Summer' by Shaun Tan.

I'm kinda lost in regards to the 'central ideas' of worldly perspectives and relationships.
Thank you

yasminehrr

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2017, 11:56:25 am »
Hi guys
I'm really struggling to study for paper one, does anyone have any exam techniques on what to do first? On creative, the essay or short answers?