Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:09:50 am

Author Topic: Standing desks in schools  (Read 1114 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Standing desks in schools
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:25:24 pm »
+1
I’ve kind of been debating whether to even post this or not.

Personally, I think it’s too progressive an idea to be implemented right now. But most likely in the future. The arguments that come to mind in support of standing desks at schools are:

- The growing obesity epidemic (standing up burns more energy)
- Adolescent’s shrinking attention span (standing up increases focus)
- Improves posture

The thing is though, it would have to be either everyone switches to standing desks, or it stays the same. Interested to know other people’s thoughts!
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Standing desks in schools
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:42:07 pm »
+5
I can see many positives to standing desks like the ones you outlined but I think that ultimately (at least at the current time), they would create more problems than they solve. For one, they may make it more difficult for teachers to manage loud and rambunctious classes and put a stop to mucking around. When a class is misbehaving, generally teachers many tell them to sit down and do some work as while they are standing up they are mucking around. Even with standing desks, there is no guarantee that the mucking around would stop.

However, I do think it is important to address issues like obesity and poor posture, however, I believe that at present there are other alternatives. I think that perhaps having more sport in schools as well as generally better access to healthy foods and less junk (I know our canteen is mostly chips, chocolate and cake.) may help to address this. Our school has also introduced ergonomic chairs that really help with posture.

Another aspect to consider would be the cost of replacing current desks if this was to be immediately implemented and the waste that replacing so much perfectly good equipment would generate.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Standing desks in schools
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:44:14 pm »
+4
My school had a couple of standing desks in some classrooms for a while. Hardly anyone used them.

I would really, really hate being forced to stand up all day. No issues walking around all day, but very much dislike just standing somewhat motionless.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra