Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:19:47 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596317 times)  Share 

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2400 on: November 14, 2018, 11:54:56 am »
REALLY QUICKLY WHEN RAPE IN MARRIAGE WAS MADE ILLEGAL WAS IT DONE THROUGH THE COURTS OR DID THE COURTS UPHOLD THE PRECEDENT AND PARLIAMENT abrogated it, I have two different versions in my notes for some reason.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2401 on: November 14, 2018, 12:00:27 pm »
+2
REALLY QUICKLY WHEN RAPE IN MARRIAGE WAS MADE ILLEGAL WAS IT DONE THROUGH THE COURTS OR DID THE COURTS UPHOLD THE PRECEDENT AND PARLIAMENT abrogated it, I have two different versions in my notes for some reason.
I heard that rape in marriage was carried on in the courts through the doctrine of precedent, and then this ruling was abrogated by the parliament. Pretty sure they absolutely slammed the judge who made the conservative decision.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

rayaalandrito

• Fresh Poster
  • i just live in typical boredom
« Reply #2402 on: December 23, 2018, 11:28:18 pm »
hello people!

in class i've learnt about the 3 principles of justice and it's confusing for me to distinguish fairness and equality, because both words are so similar in terms of concepts. so what is the difference between the two principles?

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2403 on: December 25, 2018, 03:54:15 pm »
+5
hello people!

in class i've learnt about the 3 principles of justice and it's confusing for me to distinguish fairness and equality, because both words are so similar in terms of concepts. so what is the difference between the two principles?
Hey there!
It can be a bit confusing, definitely.
So, let's think of fairness as giving everyone the same opportunities. This is often seen as similar, if not exactly the same as equality, but in law fairness is where people should be able to have a fair hearing and trial, with a fair opportunity to present their case and a competent understanding of court processes. On the other hand, equality is just giving everyone equal footing within the legal system, where no party has an advantage over the other where it can be helped.
Here's a little image that explains it:

Thus, equality and fairness are similar, but very separate ideas.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

serahasanoglu

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2404 on: January 09, 2019, 10:40:03 am »
Need help with holiday homework!!
Cannot find the answer to this:
Identify four persons or organisations that are able to prosecute a case in court.

lst1103

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2405 on: January 09, 2019, 10:48:12 am »
DPP
Victoria Police
VicRoads

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2406 on: January 09, 2019, 02:24:08 pm »
+1
And, just for fun, list yourself. Private prosecutions by private individuals are permitted by law.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2005/s1521173.htm
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

andreag

• Adventurer
« Reply #2407 on: January 21, 2019, 05:52:42 pm »
Does anyone know when the 2018 exam will be published in the VCAA website? Do they usually publish at the start, middle or end of the next year the exam was taken? (this year 2019)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #2408 on: January 21, 2019, 06:03:35 pm »
+1
Does anyone know when the 2018 exam will be published in the VCAA website? Do they usually publish at the start, middle or end of the next year the exam was taken? (this year 2019)

There's no set date, but I'd say it will be rather soon considering exams from other subjects are being uploaded. They are always generally uploaded during term 1 (or just before).
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

tmgacutan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2409 on: January 25, 2019, 02:27:37 pm »
On the study design it says we have to know "fines, community corrections orders and imprisonment, and their specific purposes". How in-depth should we know something like, say, imprisonment? Is it necessary to know concurrent, cumulative, aggregate and indefinite sentences inside and out or should we just know the basics and how they relate to imprisonment's purposes?
will i ever understand how forums work? stay tuned, folks 😎

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2410 on: January 25, 2019, 03:09:07 pm »
+3
On the study design it says we have to know "fines, community corrections orders and imprisonment, and their specific purposes". How in-depth should we know something like, say, imprisonment? Is it necessary to know concurrent, cumulative, aggregate and indefinite sentences inside and out or should we just know the basics and how they relate to imprisonment's purposes?

I'm always of the viewpoint that the more you know about a specific topic, the better. Whilst a question will never ask you to list the different types of prison sentences, you can get a question that requires you to explain the sanction of imprisonment. You can add depth to your answer by referencing these different types. So, my advice is, learn them :) You never do know when you can utilise that knowledge, but when you can, your answer will definitely stand out, and you'll be rewarded.
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

vanrossen.h

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2411 on: February 07, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »
So I'm kinda new here so there's that I guess.

In the notes I bought at the 3-4 lectures this year, it said we needed to know the specific types of committal procceedings; however, I looked over the study design (I made sure I'm looking at the current one hehe), and all it says is the 'purposes of committal proceedings'.

Also does anyone have an ideas about where to get sample ten mark questions from? I'm really going for that 50 this year, but oof the stress.
2019 - Legal Studies (47) and Further Mathematics (45)
2020 - English Language, Mathematical Methods, Physics, Deakin Accelerate (Law)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2412 on: February 07, 2019, 02:39:45 pm »
+2
So I'm kinda new here so there's that I guess.

In the notes I bought at the 3-4 lectures this year, it said we needed to know the specific types of committal procceedings; however, I looked over the study design (I made sure I'm looking at the current one hehe), and all it says is the 'purposes of committal proceedings'.

Also does anyone have an ideas about where to get sample ten mark questions from? I'm really going for that 50 this year, but oof the stress.

Hey! Welcome to the forums  :)

Yes, you're correct. The study design states that you will be required to "explain the purposes of committal proceedings". So what I recommend (and what I did), is to simply have a basic understanding on what committal proceedings are and when they are used (a pre-trial procedure that takes place in the Magistrates' Court for an accused charged with an indictable offence and the accused is pleading not guilty). The purposes of Committal Proceedings are outlined under Section 97 of the Criminal Procedure Act 2009 (Vic) (you don't need to know this statute, but it really adds depth to your answer if you include it!) So, in short, no, you don't need to know the specific types of committal proceedings (still not sure what this means.. do you mean the parts of a committal proceeding?)

As for ten mark questions, take a look at past VCAA papers! Although the questions on pre 2018 exams may no longer be applicable (as they are based on the old study design), parts/all of some of these questions still will be. If you are unsure on whether it is still relevant, take a look at the 2018+ study design/ask here/ask your teacher!

It's nice to see your aiming for that 50! With sustained and consistent effort and work, you'll be setting yourself up for a nice mark for legal studies. Any future questions, feel free to post them here :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:47:48 pm by Jigsaw »

vanrossen.h

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2413 on: February 07, 2019, 06:27:35 pm »
+1
Hey! Welcome to the forums  :)

Yes, you're correct. The study design states that you will be required to "explain the purposes of committal proceedings". So what I recommend (and what I did), is to simply have a basic understanding on what committal proceedings are and when they are used (a pre-trial procedure that takes place in the Magistrates' Court for an accused charged with an indictable offence and the accused is pleading not guilty). The purposes of Committal Proceedings are outlined under Section 97 of the Criminal Procedure Act 2009 (Vic) (you don't need to know this statute, but it really adds depth to your answer if you include it!) So, in short, no, you don't need to know the specific types of committal proceedings (still not sure what this means.. do you mean the parts of a committal proceeding?)

As for ten mark questions, take a look at past VCAA papers! Although the questions on pre 2018 exams may no longer be applicable (as they are based on the old study design), parts/all of some of these questions still will be. If you are unsure on whether it is still relevant, take a look at the 2018+ study design/ask here/ask your teacher!

It's nice to see your aiming for that 50! With sustained and consistent effort and work, you'll be setting yourself up for a nice mark for legal studies. Any future questions, feel free to post them here :)

thank you so much!!! It's going to be my first VCE exam and I gotta admit that I'm kinda stressed about doing it in year 11, but hey.

Have to start somewhere right?
2019 - Legal Studies (47) and Further Mathematics (45)
2020 - English Language, Mathematical Methods, Physics, Deakin Accelerate (Law)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #2414 on: February 14, 2019, 04:48:33 pm »
Whats a recent criminal case heard by the Victorian Magistrates Court???
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP