Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:28:21 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Law/Biomedicine at Monash  (Read 1296 times)  Share 

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
Bachelor of Law/Biomedicine at Monash
« on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:33 pm »
hi everyone!

I'm looking into doing a Law/ Biomed or Law/ Science degree at monash, but I'm kinda struggling because I don't know if it's all that beneficial. I'm struggling because I don't know what exactly I want to do when I'm older. I've always seen science as being in my future career, but law looks just as interesting too. But i'm wondering if there is any real benefit to doing both degrees, or if it would just be a waste of time :( So please, would any one be able to give me some pros/ and cons of doing this double degree?

thanks in advance ! <3
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:31:56 pm by emonerd »
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
Re: Bachelor of Law/Biomedicine at Monash
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:44:17 pm »
+6
Funnily enough, I was in a similar position to you!
(However, I was interested in law but could not see myself doing a career in law)
The main advantage of doing the double degree is your giving urself more options since you don't know what you want to do I would say a double degree can help you find your way.
You can always choose to drop the other degree or transfer to a single degree if you find it too challenging.
However, you will be doing quite a challenging degree/s and will need to work very hard to maintain a competitive WAM / GPA for when it comes to med/law applications :)

VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Skittles99

• Adventurer
  • Love to help out where I can.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 09:10:15 pm »
+8
Hey there! I was in a similar boat to you a few years ago and couldn't decide between Law and Commerce, I couldn't see what I'd be doing for work after uni also, so I decided to do both and see where it could take me. I'm currently in second year :)

I think doing both Laws/Science or Laws/Biomed is a really great idea if both of them are of interest to you. I'll list some *potential* pros or cons of studying Law + Science/Biomed for you.

Pros
• You'll get to study two degrees in fields that are of your interest
• You'll come out with two very highly regarded degrees
• Limitless career opportunities with a Law degree (you don't necessarily have to go on to be a lawyer or work in a law firm)
• Opportunity to get into Doctor of Medicine @ Monash - which is exclusive to those who studied their under-grad at Monash (75% of places reserved for Biomed students)
• You can drop either of the degrees if they are not to your liking

Cons
• More Law units than Science/Biomed units (could be a pro, depends on what you rather)
• You will most likely finish your Science/Biomed units before your Law units, meaning you will have a time in Uni where you are studying just Law on its on (could also be a pro again?)
• Law tacks on an extra two years of studying, where as Science or Biomed will take three years to do alone
• Typically two of the most challenging degrees
• I hear Biomed is really competitive as many students studying it want to get into Med

Feel free to correct me on any of those points :)

And there is most certainly benefits to doing both degrees, personally I wouldn't say either are a waste of time. However Biomed is generally studied by students who are hoping to pursue careers in the Medical field. I'm not too familiar with graduate career opportunities for Biomed apart from going into Doctor of Medicine (or another type of post-grad med) or Scientific research, but I do know graduate career opportunities with a Law degree are limitless!

I hope this helped, feel free to ask me any questions! Best of luck with your studies :)
2019-2023: Monash University

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 11:04:04 pm »
+3
thank you so much guys !! You have most definitely helped me, I really apprecitate it :)))
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

Skittles99

• Adventurer
  • Love to help out where I can.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:53:47 pm »
thank you so much guys !! You have most definitely helped me, I really apprecitate it :)))

No worries at all!  ;)
Feel free to PM me any questions if you have any, especially about Law @ Monash!
2019-2023: Monash University