Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:18 am

Author Topic: Results  (Read 1021 times)

finnellaoleary

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Results
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:53:59 pm »
+1
Hey guys!

IDK if this is just around where I live/just with the people I know, but it seems to be a bit of an issue. Heaps of people seem to be getting insanely low marks, myself included. I know there's usually a one grade drop from Year 10 to Year 11, but some of the highest achievers last year (I'm talking straight A/A+ kids, subject award kids) are now getting low Cs and even Ds. Many people I've spoken to are saying that their whole class is failing or coming very close to. Is this normal? Is this happening for you guys? Why has there been such a dramatic drop?
QCE 2020: english~essential maths~
legal studies~philosophy and reason~modern history~ancient history~

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Results
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 08:50:14 pm »
+4
Hey!

As you've said,  usually there is a drop between year 10 and year 11 but you wouldn't expect it to be this big. My guess is that the jump is bigger this year is due to the QCE system changing (which has created a bit more uncertainty for everyone and meant that students and teachers can't use old resources so much).

I can't say whether this is consistently happening across the state, but I will say this:
- year 11 is a great time to be figuring out how to work through these issues & getting practice at adjusting to the new system
- the lower grades often come not just from harder content, but from not knowing how to communicate your understanding.
- the gap between A+ and C often isn't as high as you think it is - don't give up on reaching across the gap :)

Have you found that the difference in grades is the same across subjects? 

Welcome to the forums and best of luck :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Results
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:45:41 am »
+1
Hey guys!

IDK if this is just around where I live/just with the people I know, but it seems to be a bit of an issue. Heaps of people seem to be getting insanely low marks, myself included. I know there's usually a one grade drop from Year 10 to Year 11, but some of the highest achievers last year (I'm talking straight A/A+ kids, subject award kids) are now getting low Cs and even Ds. Many people I've spoken to are saying that their whole class is failing or coming very close to. Is this normal? Is this happening for you guys? Why has there been such a dramatic drop?

Hey. :) Overall, what would you say you're losing marks on? Incorrect content? The way you answer questions?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.