Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:00 pm

Author Topic: A General Guide For Psychology.  (Read 23114 times)  Share 

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: A General Guide For Psychology.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:32:15 pm »
im doing psych this year and im having trouble finishing the learning activities quickly. like it takes me around 1.5 hours to do one LA. does anyone have any tips on how to finish the LAs quickly but accurately?
thankyouu  :D

Do you read the text thoroughly/take effective notes? If you know the information inside out you'll find it a lot easier to complete learning activities :) After a while they become really quick, and I can usually finish them in around 20 minutes with full sentences and whatnot.
Good luck :)
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

icecream

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 12:43:23 pm »
im doing psych this year and im having trouble finishing the learning activities quickly. like it takes me around 1.5 hours to do one LA. does anyone have any tips on how to finish the LAs quickly but accurately?

Do you read the text thoroughly/take effective notes? If you know the information inside out you'll find it a lot easier to complete learning activities :) After a while they become really quick, and I can usually finish them in around 20 minutes with full sentences and whatnot.

how long are your responses to the questions? coz like idk if im trying to do mine too detailed or not. it always seems like im still lacking information. and is it better to copy answers out of the textbook? as in using their wording? or is it better to reword it?

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:49 pm »

how long are your responses to the questions? coz like idk if im trying to do mine too detailed or not. it always seems like im still lacking information. and is it better to copy answers out of the textbook? as in using their wording? or is it better to reword it?

Well it depends on the question, a straightforward question like "Define..." might only be one or two sentences, but analysis questions may be quite a large paragraph. Detail is good - it's what distinguishes your answers from others.
And DEFINITELY reword it. It'll help you remember the information and understand it better.
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

prelyudia

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »
I was going through the Study Design and was wondering whether I should just trust VCAA and stick to the information listed there. I'm currently using the Oxford Psych textbook and in the research methods chapter, it seems to mention information that aren't on the study design so now I'm starting to feel that the SD is a little vague.

My number one concern is the reliability and validity. The SD states: Validity including construct and external, and Reliability including internal consistency.

Now it doesn't seem to mention inter-rater reliability, test-retest reliability and parallel form reliability (actually my textbook doesn't have 'internal consistency' but I'm assuming 'internal reliability' is the same thing), so should I not study them?

Same goes with the validity construct and external. It just seems a bit vague to me to be honest. It says external validity, but does that also include criterion-related validity (which seems to go under it)?

I know VCAA can't be specific with everything, but it just seems that in some areas they're quite broad and general and others seem to be really specific. Have there been any cases where examiners or whoever that writes it (for any subject) haven't stuck to the study design??

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 06:19:19 pm »
I was going through the Study Design and was wondering whether I should just trust VCAA and stick to the information listed there. I'm currently using the Oxford Psych textbook and in the research methods chapter, it seems to mention information that aren't on the study design so now I'm starting to feel that the SD is a little vague.

My number one concern is the reliability and validity. The SD states: Validity including construct and external, and Reliability including internal consistency.

Now it doesn't seem to mention inter-rater reliability, test-retest reliability and parallel form reliability (actually my textbook doesn't have 'internal consistency' but I'm assuming 'internal reliability' is the same thing), so should I not study them?

Same goes with the validity construct and external. It just seems a bit vague to me to be honest. It says external validity, but does that also include criterion-related validity (which seems to go under it)?

I know VCAA can't be specific with everything, but it just seems that in some areas they're quite broad and general and others seem to be really specific. Have there been any cases where examiners or whoever that writes it (for any subject) haven't stuck to the study design??

Your probably best to use a variety of textbooks and guides as to approach psych. Examiners don't often go outside the study design but they can surprise you.
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

prelyudia

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 06:29:17 pm »

Ravit

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Shah Rukh is my son.
  • Respect: +8
  • School: Werribee Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 06:29:51 pm »
yes thats the one^
2012: Psych [44]
2013: Science at UOM
2016: Hopefully MD

Ravit

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Shah Rukh is my son.
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 06:30:22 pm »
hey do you where the answers are for the oxford psychology text unit 3 and 4, are they on the CD or the website?

prelyudia

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 06:31:24 pm »
hey do you where the answers are for the oxford psychology text unit 3 and 4, are they on the CD or the website?

I actually don't know whether they have the answers. I've gone through the CD and textbook constantly, but I wasn't aware of the website though.

Ravit

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Shah Rukh is my son.
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 06:33:25 pm »
there is a mention of the answers being located on this website http://www.oup.com.au/psych12, in the introduction of the book, but there are none there.
But it states later that only teachers have access to them!

prelyudia

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:11 pm »
+1
there is a mention of the answers being located on this website http://www.oup.com.au/psych12, in the introduction of the book, but there are none there.
But it states later that only teachers have access to them!

Well that's stupid. How am I suppose to know whether I'm doing the questions right. It'll be too weird for me to ask for ALL the answers from my teacher :S

Ravit

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Shah Rukh is my son.
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:00 pm »
is it possible if you could ask to teacher and ask her to link you answers to particular chapters when you require them, i don't think there would be anything wrong for her to provide answers to chapter questions..... hopefully :D

prelyudia

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:49 am »
+1
Could someone please explain the difference between confounding variables and extraneous variables? I've read that a confounding variable is a type of extraneous variable (not sure if that's true), but other than that, I really don't understand the differences :S

is it possible if you could ask to teacher and ask her to link you answers to particular chapters when you require them, i don't think there would be anything wrong for her to provide answers to chapter questions..... hopefully :D

Yeah when I get back to school I'll ask if he can send them and I'll post it here :)

playsimme

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 01:48:59 pm »
I'm a little rusty lol but an extraeneous variable is one that has a potential effect on the DV but has not yet (which can be eliminated), whereas a confounding variable is a variable that has a systematic effect on the DV (already happened and can't be separated from the results). They are both unwanted :) I hope that's correct lmao.

prelyudia

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 04:53:40 pm »
I'm a little rusty lol but an extraeneous variable is one that has a potential effect on the DV but has not yet (which can be eliminated), whereas a confounding variable is a variable that has a systematic effect on the DV (already happened and can't be separated from the results). They are both unwanted :) I hope that's correct lmao.

Thanks for the reply! But just wondering, when you say "which can be eliminated" do you mean that extraneous variables can still be eliminated even when results are obtained? Or can they only be eliminated BEFORE the study/experiment is conducted?