Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:22:46 am

Author Topic: How to find part time work  (Read 1890 times)  Share 

Senpai8

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to find part time work
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:52:03 pm »
+1
Hi,

i am currently a full time student (18y.o. no work experience besides 1 week at a chemist + 1 month volunteer work at uni as an exam supporter)  looking for work, but unfortunately after applying for over 100 jobs in the last 8 months i still dont have a job :-\ :'(. i am not picky as i am applying for any hospitality and retail job and my availability is pretty good. i dont know why i am not getting any jobs :(. i feel like giving up.

Any tips in regards too job hunting will be appreciated!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: How to find part time work
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:12:57 pm »
+3
Hey!

I recommend checking if your uni has a resume checking service (e.g. at Monash you can get career connect to give you feedback) & if there's a job for students portal or program. Getting a job w/o special qualifications can be hard at this age because younger people are cheaper but it's definitely worth getting a second pair of eyes to look over an application you've done to get another perspective.

Good luck :)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 09:21:30 pm »
+1
Also you could become a tutor. I'm 18 as well and my first 'job' ever is tutoring Physics. You might want to become a tutor, it's really fun teaching something your passionate about!

Senpai8

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:46:48 pm »
Also you could become a tutor. I'm 18 as well and my first 'job' ever is tutoring Physics. You might want to become a tutor, it's really fun teaching something your passionate about!

i have considered in becoming a math tutor at one point, but i feel like im too introverted to become one and i am not sure if i am able to teach students properly. Furthermore, if i apply for a tutoring company will they provide training?

Daweiii

• Adventurer
  • JMSS Grad!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 10:07:45 pm »
+2
i have considered in becoming a math tutor at one point, but i feel like im too introverted to become one and i am not sure if i am able to teach students properly. Furthermore, if i apply for a tutoring company will they provide training?
It really depends on which tutoring company you go to.

2 years ago, I applied for a tutoring company to teach VCE level science and Uni biomedicine. I wasn't really provided much training besides the first day where I was taught the basics, then they kinda left me on my own. I'm also introverted, but my classes were quite small (around 6-7 people) so it wasn't extremely nerve-wracking.

Maybe you can start somewhere small, like say if you have a young neighbour, you could probably teach them a thing or two about maths - really gets the momentum going.
Medicine, Monash University

sara.vce

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 04:17:18 pm »

I tutor students (without a company) and I find that it's really flexible and high-paying. If you're comfortable with tutoring anyone, you can put up posters around your neighbourhood and in schools but otherwise you can send out an email to people you know. I did the latter originally and didn't get any replies but soon after heard back from some of those people and now I have many students.
Hope that helps!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 05:59:56 pm »
+3
Any tips in regards too job hunting will be appreciated!
Here’s a few misconceptions I find with people who are trying to get their first job:
1. Often people tend to write too little on their soft skills. Soft skills and volunteering are things you can play up, especially when you have little to no work experience.
2. Similarly, people often put their ATAR and academic grades on every job application, regardless of relevance to the job. Generally I’d say, unless the job advertisement mentions grades, the job is related to academia e.g. tutoring, or the subject you got the grade for is specifically related to the job you’re applying for e.g. HD in Food Tech when you’re applying to be a cook, then leave grades out of the picture.
3. Some people don’t alter their job application to suit the job. They give the same generic one to every place they apply for. This is a bad idea because it doesn’t make you seem genuinely interested at all, which the employer will pick up on and thus reject your application.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:06:39 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread