Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:30:48 pm

Author Topic: Mid-year assistance thread  (Read 21525 times)  Share 

mypurpleundercracka

Re: Mid-year assistance thread
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2009, 05:54:07 pm »
OOOopps i meant for cones and rods
like if you enter a dark room, would the cones adapt quickly? and what about the rods?
sorry there
thanks =]

from my understanding cones adapt within 8-10 minutes whilst rods take 25-30 minutes or so

jess3254

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2009, 05:55:13 pm »
so compromise: the horizontal lines are equal, but bc we use closer, the feather ends is longer?
and apparent: the ends add depth -> each line has a different distance  -> feather ends further away, so we assume its longer?

thanks

Perceptual compromise:
-we receive conflicting information when viewing the Muller Lyer illusion. This is:
*both the lines are of equal length
*however the TOTAL LENGTH of the feather tail line is greater than the total length of the arrow head line.

*What we do is we end up using the Gestalt Principle of closure to perceptually fill in gaps and draw an imagined contour/line around both lines.
*Because the total area of the feather tail is greater than the arrow head, we perceive it to be larger.

Apparent distance:
Yeah, pretty much. The line with the feather tail APPEARS to be more distant (not actually is) because the attachments add depth to the lines.
Both lines produce the same sized image on the retina, but because we think the feather tail is more distant, we perceive it to be larger (remember that objects which are far away produce a smaller image on the retina). This is because we are incorrectly applying size constancy in a 2D setting.

jess3254

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2009, 05:58:17 pm »
OOOopps i meant for cones and rods
like if you enter a dark room, would the cones adapt quickly? and what about the rods?
sorry there
thanks =]

from my understanding cones adapt within 8-10 minutes whilst rods take 25-30 minutes or so

Sorry mate, I have no idea. I've looked through a couple of sources I have and they only refer to rods and dark adaptation, they don't specify with cones.

madi1234

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2009, 06:09:38 pm »
Hey jessie0... I keep getting all these multiply choice questions of GAS.. And I know decrease effectiveness of immune system starts in Stage 2..

-So most of the questions ask, when does Psychosomatic Illness start to occur.
I choose Resistance.... Correct..

-And then I've done another question of like when you get tonsillitis, what stage are you in?
And I choose Resistance again And its wrong... Its Exhaustion

I've done heaps where, some answers are Stage 2, and some answers are Stage 3.
I don't know which one to choose...  Do you base the answer on what type of illness it is, like major illnesses would be in stage 3.... (But then again, i dont get that either because wouldn't a major illness be a psychosomatic illness?)
2009:
Business Management
Psychology
Health and Human Development
Further Mathematics
English

d0minicz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2009, 06:15:32 pm »
The psychosomatic one, its where it STARTS to develop. thats when the cortisol is starting to deplete your immune system.

the tonsiilitis one i think means that you have developed it, which would be evident when your body is depleted of all resources; ie. during exhaustion.
Doctor of Medicine (UoM)

madi1234

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2009, 06:17:00 pm »
The psychosomatic one, its where it STARTS to develop. thats when the cortisol is starting to deplete your immune system.

the tonsiilitis one i think means that you have developed it, which would be evident when your body is depleted of all resources; ie. during exhaustion.

no it said it question Started to develop.... ?
2009:
Business Management
Psychology
Health and Human Development
Further Mathematics
English

jess3254

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:09 pm »
Hey jessie0... I keep getting all these multiply choice questions of GAS.. And I know decrease effectiveness of immune system starts in Stage 2..

-So most of the questions ask, when does Psychosomatic Illness start to occur.
I choose Resistance.... Correct..

-And then I've done another question of like when you get tonsillitis, what stage are you in?
And I choose Resistance again And its wrong... Its Exhaustion

I've done heaps where, some answers are Stage 2, and some answers are Stage 3.
I don't know which one to choose...  Do you base the answer on what type of illness it is, like major illnesses would be in stage 3.... (But then again, i dont get that either because wouldn't a major illness be a psychosomatic illness?)

I found the exact same problem last year! It really frustrated me (especially because I didn't agree with the theory at all :P). What exams were these on?

But as a general rule, if they ask "when does psychosomatic illness start to occur", definitely go for resistance. It STARTS to manifest itself during resistance, but becomes severe in exhaustion.

If it is a question like 'Madi gets an infection. What stage is she in?', look at the particular circumstances surrounding her illness. If she has become 'incredibly stressed and unable to cope', go for exhaustion. If she has, 'has found it increasingly difficult to cope', (implies it's a bit more mild) go for resistance. And yes, also take the severity of illness into account.

As a general rule:
Cold + flu + headaches + tummy aches + nausea = resistance
severe psychosomatic illness, or something like a heart attack or stroke = exhaustion.

Although it really isn't that clear unfortunately. It's a very airy fairy theory.

d0minicz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2009, 06:23:10 pm »
hey you know for the single-blind procedure, is this used for participants only or can it be used to eliminate experimenter effects?
Doctor of Medicine (UoM)

jess3254

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2009, 06:27:59 pm »
hey you know for the single-blind procedure, is this used for participants only or can it be used to eliminate experimenter effects?

It could technically be used to eliminate the experimenter effect. In some studies, it's impossible to not have participants informed of which group they are in (e.g. if one group has 9 hours sleep and the others have no sleep before completing a sequence of dance moves or something). But the person assessing the results could be blind to who had sleep and who did not. So yes.

Candy4Panda

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2009, 07:32:51 pm »
Is the Rat-Man experiment an example of context or past experience? Thanks.

jess3254

« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2009, 07:36:09 pm »
Is the Rat-Man experiment an example of context or past experience? Thanks.

Mostly context. Because it was the surroundings of the rat-man ambiguous figure which created the perceptual set (expectancy to perceive something in a particular way.)

Which text book do you have? There's an explanation of the rat man experiment in grivas I know for sure. I can't find a picture of it online, so just flip through your text book to see if it's under "perceptual set".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:38:12 pm by jessie0 »

Candy4Panda

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »
I have Grivas but I can't seem to find an explanation of Rat-man, only instructions on how to do an experiment on it yourself. My Thomson/Nelson Psych Notes book seems to give Rat-man as an example of past experience, and B-13 as an example of context, but I don't know what the difference is between the Rat-man and B-13 experiments and I was sure they were both context?

mypurpleundercracka

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2009, 08:27:21 pm »
I have Grivas but I can't seem to find an explanation of Rat-man, only instructions on how to do an experiment on it yourself. My Thomson/Nelson Psych Notes book seems to give Rat-man as an example of past experience, and B-13 as an example of context, but I don't know what the difference is between the Rat-man and B-13 experiments and I was sure they were both context?

the rat-man figure can be both past experience and context

context leads to the predisposition to perceive either a rat or a man if the figure was shown amidst either animal-drawings or facial drawings

it can also be past experience if the person is shown either images of animals or human faces then shown the figure

as for the B-13 experiments that is context, vertically viewing the image creates a context of of numbers whilst horizontally it gives a context of letters, checkpoints also said it can depend whether your in maths or in english class

samikk

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:38 pm »
omg im dead tomorrow

mypurpleundercracka

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:11 pm »
i really just wana get it all over and done with sick of studying