Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:52:04 am

Author Topic: Katie’s journey back to the classroom (music education)!!  (Read 40070 times)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: Katie’s journey back to the classroom (music education)!!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 08:42:24 pm »
+4
OMG thats so good! hopefully you use it wisley  ;)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 10:46:52 pm »
+11
19/2/18:
UNSW O-week!!:
- A lot of people
- Heaps of societies (signed up to Edsoc, History society and Artssoc)
- Lots of freebies (pens/highlighters, sausage sizzle, cupcakes)
- Timetable tours with Rui-even though I’ll still probably get heaps lost.
- Max Brenner (chocolate pizza, and accidentally spilling half my drink).

Had an amazing time seeing the NSW AN crew again!! Was heaps of fun! :D

Thinking about going into the uni tomorrow to go to the education/music lectures so I can meet more people from my course. Really excited but kinda a little nervous because I am really shy around new people/people I don’t know.

I also need to go in on Thursday for a peer mentoring kickoff session. My mentor sounds pretty cool (she’s a 3rd year music/science student) so hopefully that will be fun! :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:11:00 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 10:09:14 pm »
+10
20/2/18
O-week day 2:

Bumped into Fantasticbeasts this morning and went to an essay lecture with them which was really boring (cool seeing her though)!!

As part of my course (for per lab 1) you need to be a part of the uni’s ensembles. I signed up to Wind Symphony which is on Tuesdays from 4-6. It should be really fun and looks cool! It’s a little annoying though because it’s on the same night as Girl’s Brigade (a Christian youth group) and I lead the year 3 group with a few of my friends so I’ll be late for that each week.

I then went to an education and music lecture! After the education lecture they had free food and some games by the education society. I got to talk to some other education students and they seemed pretty nice. There is also another Caitlin doing exactly the same course as me!!

I’m also thinking of doing volunteering at the uni. I need to do volunteering as part of my Queens Award for Girls Brigade (2hrs a week for 6-10 months) and some of the ones at uni seem fun! I’m not exactly too sure what ones I want to do yet though.

I just did the uni libraries compulsory ELISE quiz and got 100% which is good!

I’m finding the travel into uni really exhausting-at the moment it’s been 1 1/2-2 hours each way (a train and then a bus)!
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 10:27:18 pm »
+1
I then went to an education and music lecture! After the education lecture they had free food and some games by the education society. I got to talk to some other education students and they seemed pretty nice. There is also another Caitlin doing exactly the same course as me!!

That's actually pretty awesome! Most importantly, do your timetables meet-up?
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 10:29:36 pm »
+3
Bumped into Fantasticbeasts this morning and went to an essay lecture with them which was really boring (cool seeing her though)!!

Boring lecture? Clearly not run by us ;)

As part of my course (for per lab 1) you need to be a part of the uni’s ensembles. I signed up to Wind Symphony which is on Tuesdays from 4-6. It should be really fun and looks cool! It’s a little annoying though because it’s on the same night as Girl’s Brigade (a Christian youth group) and I lead the year 3 group with a few of my friends so I’ll be late for that each week.

I’m also thinking of doing volunteering at the uni. I need to do volunteering as part of my Queens Award for Girls Brigade (2hrs a week for 6-10 months) and some of the ones at uni seem fun! I’m not exactly too sure what ones I want to do yet though.

I just did the uni libraries compulsory ELISE quiz and got 100% which is good!

I’m finding the travel into uni really exhausting-at the moment it’s been 1 1/2-2 hours each way (a train and then a bus)!

So glad you are enjoying yourself!! You'll adjust to the commute, it takes a bit but eventually you'll find it really useful time for some catch up work! Or sleep ;)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 10:35:49 pm »
+1
O-week day 2:

so proud that we stayed for almost an hour in that lecture, i don't know we did it. good to see you again today!

that's so cool!

there was one pretty good one closer to the beginning of the main walkway, but i can't remember what it's called hahaha

HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 11:55:38 pm »
+4
That's actually pretty awesome! Most importantly, do your timetables meet-up?
I'm pretty sure we are doing exactly the same units! Not too sure about studio/tute times though. (I've had a Caitlin in my class since primary) :)

Boring lecture? Clearly not run by us ;)

So glad you are enjoying yourself!! You'll adjust to the commute, it takes a bit but eventually you'll find it really useful time for some catch up work! Or sleep ;)
Definitely wasn't Atar Notes quality  ;)
Just been listening to music on the train at the moment but will try to use it for work when uni starts.

so proud that we stayed for almost an hour in that lecture, i don't know we did it. good to see you again today!

that's so cool!

there was one pretty good one closer to the beginning of the main walkway, but i can't remember what it's called hahaha

Great to see you today!! Felt bad for being on my phone during the lecture but it just wasn't interesting/engaging!

I went to the arc volunteering stall and got a booklet of all the volunteering (theres over 30). At the moment I'm thinking of doing Shack Tutoring (1hr tutoring on an afternoon for disadvantaged high schoolers) and Phil (help fundraising for Sydney Children's hospital and music therapy) but not entirely sure yet.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 05:30:43 pm »
+11
26/2/18
I was both really nervous and excited going into uni this morning. I went to the station 2 hours before my lecture started because I wasn’t really sure where my building was and if there would be a huge line for the bus. As I got to the station, my train to Central was leaving (luckily there was one 10min later). There was no line up for the bus which was great so I ended up at uni around 30min before the lecture started.

MUSC1101 (Music reinvented):
I actually have a friend in this class from band (she is doing it as a gen ed unit). Before the lecture started we made a big circle outside the room and went around saying our names and instruments. The lecture wasn’t as large as I was expecting (probably only 40ish people) and the lecturer himself was quite interesting. We were looking at the history of music and it was great to be getting back into history! We also listened to a lot of different excerpts of pieces as we learnt more about the composer’s/time periods. The lecture was 2 hours long and because I haven’t been in a class for a while it seemed like a huge amount of time. I still haven’t really decided if I’m going to write or type my notes. I found it confusing to know what to write down in this lecture as the PowerPoints will be on Moodle and we have no exams on the entire course.

I had a one-hour break in between this lecture and my next one. I went to get lunch with one of my friends who is in my peer mentoring group and we ate it in the study area of the music building.

MUSC1601: M&S1
We started by going through the course outline- we need to buy an online aural program and a textbook (it was $200 from the shop :(, going to try to get it second-hand). Then the lecturer gave us a quiz to begin. The first page was stuff that I was completely fine with but I couldn’t do the last question. Me and my friend also realised that we were enrolled in the wrong tutorial. The one we are enrolled in is for arts/gen ed students (the harmony tute) while we should be in one on a Friday (aural tute). It’s really annoying because that means I will need to be in uni for all 5 days (with 2 only being for 1 hr tutes). I really didn’t want to go to uni on my birthday. The lecturer said that he will look at our test results and the BMus students and then see if we need to change and send emails.

I also have a music locker which is really good because I can put my clarinet and stuff in it. Tomorrow, I need to be at uni from 9-6 (2 lectures and an ensemble) and I’m not really looking forward to the early start or the long day. Overall, uni's been pretty exciting/interesting though!! :D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:32 pm »
+12
Week Two:
I brought a ticket to the Arts society orientation camp last Friday, which is on the 23rd-25th of March. I’m pretty excited to go to the camp, and hopefully make heaps of friends, but I’m also nervous that I’ll be with 125 other first years who I don’t know very well (and this camps going to be heaps different to my school camps as well).

At the moment I’m finding my education lectures and tutes seem really boring and slow which was not what I was expecting seeing I was really excited for my education unit. It’s different from music where I am enjoying all of my classes (except for some of the theory).

I’m finding wind symphony really fun at the moment, theres heaps of clarinets and it sounds amazing being around great musicians. The pieces are a bit difficult though so I’m going to have to practise seeing I get assessed on it.

I’m definitely getting sick of ice breakers, speed friending and introductions, but I am starting to get familiar with everyone in music (even if I don’t know a huge amount of names yet). I’ve also bumped into a few people from AN at uni, which has been great! :D

8/3/18:
We began an aural studio today for M&S1. In this studio, we have to sing and work on our pitch. This was something that I was really nervous about, mainly because I don’t sing at all. However, the teacher was really good and it turned out to be a fun class, although I still felt a little weird singing (hopefully that goes away soon). We mainly just went through some scales and warm up stuff today but we’ll do more next week.

We also Performance Lab this afternoon. My studio only has around 15 people so it’s pretty small compared to everything else. Today, we went through general stuff on musician’s health (like posture, warming up,etc.). However, for our next studio we need to each play a 3 minute piece to the class. We need to do it formally (with walking on from the side, & bowing and stuff). It should be good but I still need to pick a piece for it (the one’s i’m working on at the moment are around 4-6 minutes).

I didn’t have to move the music tute to Friday so I have the day off tomorrow, which is going to be great. My little brother wants me to come in to watch his item at school. :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 02:12:34 pm »
+11
17/3/18
Week Three
I was going to try to do a vlog this week but didn’t get around to it (will definitely be next week!!).

Monday
I began with my music reinvented lecture and tute which was on Impressionism and the composers Debussy and Ravel. I have an assessment for this due on Wednesday which is a 400-500 word definition of either modernism, impressionism or nationalism using three specific sources. However, I’m still unsure what topic to pick as they follow on for each assessment, finishing in a 2000 word essay.
I then had the M&S theory lecture which I found really boring and a bit hard as my theory isn’t really up to the right standard yet. I have a test next week on the stuff that we have covered (cadences, triads, inversions, chords, passing/neighbor/anticipating tones) and I’m a bit stressed that I won’t go well.

Tuesday
Was another long 10-6 day! It began with the education societies PASS workshop for my upcoming assessment (next week). It was pretty helpful as it went over everything that we needed to do in order to get a good mark. For our assessment, we need to do an article analysis, about the ‘educational imagination’, which was actually really difficult to read. I’m about halfway through the assessment now. I then had the education lecture which was extremely boring. I find that because we have only just come out of school we understand the environment/inequity’s, and teenagers. The lecture was on the role and influence the family and peers. I always find that these 2 hour lectures seem to drag on and are really slow.

Afterwards, I booked a music practice room (you need to swipe your card to get in which is pretty cool), and practiced some of my pieces. For my performance exam, I need to play a 5 minute study and another 15 minutes of pieces, so I need to perfect those in around 12 weeks. I also got my first ever perf Lab critique back and went better than expected, but had heaps of feedback on my referencing. I then had wind symphony which is sounding really good! I’m finding that I can pick up more of the pieces as the weeks are progressing, however I still need to practice some parts. They have a social bowling event next Monday, but I can't go because I have clarinet lessons.

Wednesday
Going all the way (1hr 30min) into uni for a 1hr tute is really annoying. For the first half of the tute we went over the assessment and then we went over the ‘hidden curriculum’ and different teaching styles.

Thursday
We began with the aural (singing) tute. I still find this a little weird but it was a fun class. We were spilt into four different parts and started doing some harmony stuff. I then had the theory tute where we went over stuff for the test. I also brought the theory textbook today secondhand! Feeling slightly more confident for the test but am still nervous and need to study.

I also got an email today rejecting me for the volunteering that I had applied for (because I couldn’t attend the 4-hour training day at uni), which was annoying. I need to do 2 hours of volunteering a week for 6-10months for my award so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!!

I had my birthday yesterday and turned 18 and we went out for dinner at a buffet place in Wollongong!! I also have Ed Sheeran tonight which I’m really excited about (but the transport homes going to be crazy)!! I hope everyone’s had a great week!!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 06:57:03 pm »
+4
RE: volunteering - depends what's near you and whether you're interested, but is it possible to help out at a school? I feel like the fact that you're an education student might help you with that. One of my housemates is an education student (doing primary, granted) and volunteers at a local primary school with their literacy program.

Otherwise, try a local sporting club or a hospital (these can be really good because you can often organise to volunteer in a certain shift, so you have that same period of time allotted each week). Or, if you live near a beach (and don't mind a bit of gardening stuff), there's quite often volunteer groups that run to help revitalise the foreshore - keeping it clean, planting new plants, etc.
Otherwise I'd see if the local council has any helpful suggestions on their website! :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 09:15:05 pm »
+10
31/3/18
Weeks 4 & 5

Decided to try the vlog format today!!
My First Ever Vlog!!

More on Arts society camp!
I went to camp feeling really nervous as I didn’t really know too many people who were going and what the camp was going to be like. There were 125 other first years, around 20 leaders and other executive members there. Everybody was doing a subject under the faculty of arts and social sciences so it was very varied (e.g media, education, music, criminology, arts). Therefore, there were only three other people doing a music degree there.

The camp was sport themed for this year, and we also had a sports themed Saturday night party where everyone dressed up. We were split into 10 different groups, and did majority of the activities in our teams, (mine was the Beasty Bears). Each team made up a war cry and at the end of the camp there was a competition for 1st, 2nd and 3rd with prizes (We actually got 1st).

The camp mostly consisted of group games and activities in your teams. Some of them were really messy (like sock wrestling on soapy mats, or water fights), while others were based on communication within your teams. We also had a camp dance that we would do whenever we heard the song (‘forget you’). During the camp, we had pale blue camp shirts that we would wear for the majority of the time.

On the Saturday morning, they woke us up at 7am to do a sports themed bootcamp!  :(  On the Friday night, we had a trivia night in our groups with games in between the questions. Then, on the Saturday night, we had a sports themed party. I’m not a party person (& don’t drink much) so I didn’t really like the party as it was mainly alcohol and dancing and seen by some people as an excuse to get drunk. However, I did talk to a few friends afterwards which was really nice, and helped another friend who was drunk. We ended up going to bed really late both nights and were exhausted by the Sunday.

The camp food (especially the dinners and breakfasts) wasn’t actually really good though, so it was good to go home to nicer food :) .

Overall, I made quite a few friends at camp which was really good!!  :D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 09:44:58 pm »
+2
31/3/18
Weeks 4 & 5

My First Ever Vlog!!

For some reason the video didn't work :(( Was so looking forward to watch your vlog!

I went to camp feeling really nervous as I didn’t really know too many people who were going and what the camp was going to be like. There were 125 other first years, around 20 leaders and other executive members there. Everybody was doing a subject under the faculty of arts and social sciences so it was very varied (e.g media, education, music, criminology, arts). Therefore, there were only three other people doing a music degree there.

The camp was sport themed for this year, and we also had a sports themed Saturday night party where everyone dressed up. We were split into 10 different groups, and did majority of the activities in our teams, (mine was the Beasty Bears). Each team made up a war cry and at the end of the camp there was a competition for 1st, 2nd and 3rd with prizes (We actually got 1st).

The camp mostly consisted of group games and activities in your teams. Some of them were really messy (like sock wrestling on soapy mats, or water fights), while others were based on communication within your teams. We also had a camp dance that we would do whenever we heard the song (‘forget you’). During the camp, we had pale blue camp shirts that we would wear for the majority of the time.

On the Saturday morning, they woke us up at 7am to do a sports themed bootcamp!  :(  On the Friday night, we had a trivia night in our groups with games in between the questions. Then, on the Saturday night, we had a sports themed party. I’m not a party person (& don’t drink much) so I didn’t really like the party as it was mainly alcohol and dancing and seen by some people as an excuse to get drunk. However, I did talk to a few friends afterwards which was really nice, and helped another friend who was drunk. We ended up going to bed really late both nights and were exhausted by the Sunday.

The camp food (especially the dinners and breakfasts) wasn’t actually really good though, so it was good to go home to nicer food :) .

Omg you went to the Arts Camp? One of my friends went there as well! (well, I'm assuming this because her shirt said Arts Camp 2018 lol) Judging from her snapchat stories, it looked really fun. I think part of the experience in camps in general is how bad the food is xD (never been to a camp where the food was amazing).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:17:39 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 10:07:09 pm »
For some reason the video didn't work :(( Was so looking forward to watch your blog!
First time using YouTube!! I think I had it on private (where only I could view it) -should be working now!! :D

Omg you went to the Arts Camp? One of my friends went there as well! (well, I'm assuming this because her shirt said Arts Camp 2018 lol) Judging from her snapchat stories, it looked really fun. I think part of the experience in camps in general is how bad the good is xD (never been to a camp where the food was amazing).
Wow! :) What was your friend's name?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 10:18:09 pm »
+2
31/3/18
Weeks 4 & 5

My First Ever Vlog!!

Love the phone going off at 4:22 Katie. Pls add it to more of the vlogs