Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:48:56 am

Author Topic: Best courses for people interested in maths?  (Read 729 times)  Share 

randomnobody69420

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Best courses for people interested in maths?
« on: February 26, 2019, 09:22:37 pm »
I was thinking of doing actuarial studies earlier this year but then I discovered how hard it is to graduate and decided against it. I know engineering is a good one, are there any others that pay decently and aren’t super hard to graduate/find work for?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Best courses for people interested in maths?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:46:54 pm »
+1
I was thinking of doing actuarial studies earlier this year but then I discovered how hard it is to graduate and decided against it. I know engineering is a good one, are there any others that pay decently and aren’t super hard to graduate/find work for?

Maybe something along the lines of bioinformatics? It's in the mathsy kind of ream.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 09:52:16 pm »
+2
Depends on what you like about maths (and perhaps besides maths) and what types of jobs you feel would suit you the best. I can lead you to this link for a little guidance. You'll be looking at the outermost ring for Bachelor or higher level jobs. Job Outlook (government site) might also be something to look into - there's a career quiz and quite a few more resources available.     
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 11:16:40 pm »
Nice bump, and I might wanna chime in for some advice about actuarial studies if you're looking for a stable job. Hope you haven't made your decision yet hahaha.

I've seen quite a few actuarial students (dropouts as well) and the main reason for the high dropout rate isn't due to the fact that the maths is hard. It's new and it might be dull to a lot of people, which is not what they and their rose-coloured glasses may perceive as a deterrent from the field. We do a lot of work in financial mathematics and statistics (the best part for a maths nerd I guess?), and learn a lot about rules and regulation regarding money and insurance. It's hella exciting if you're a bit insane, but can be quite boring as well, if you've grown to like the applied part of high school maths. Another honest note is that a LOT of people graduate with their bachelor's in actuarial science, but most don't get the full exemption requirements for the professional cert to become an actuary professionally, so some may just continue with writing exams for a few years, or switch to another role. If you're not confident with your ability to not LIKE the content (reading stuff like the financial times is a good indicator) then it's gonna be hard to do well in this field.
Close alternatives would be finance, econometrics, data science and business analytics. Some might even say that they are superior, but personally I wouldn't be too big to judge, if you're concentrating on earnings they earn really well if you reach honours/grad school level.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching