Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 09:40:46 pm

Author Topic: ATAR/Scaling Questions  (Read 143234 times)  Share 

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Re: ATAR/Scaling Questions
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2018, 07:25:35 pm »
Following on from mxrylyn, I'm in a class with only one other student, so how does that impact scaling and marks and stuff? Unrelated note, can't wait to be the only two people sitting in our school hall during the HSC exam lmao

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58:26 pm »
+1
If I'm the only person in a class, does that mean that my HSC raw mark will be just the average of my internal score and my score in the HSC? 

It means (unless there is another process for classes of one I'm not aware of) that your HSC mark will be the same as your aligned mark in the exam. In other words, your HSC exam alone will determine your mark, I believe :)

Following on from mxrylyn, I'm in a class with only one other student, so how does that impact scaling and marks and stuff? Unrelated note, can't wait to be the only two people sitting in our school hall during the HSC exam lmao

Two possible scenarios!

- If ranked 1st gets the highest mark in the exam, then both HSC marks will be the same as the aligned exam scores. It will be like the other didn't exist.
- If ranked 2nd gets the highest mark in the exam, then the two students get the same mark, namely the average of the two HSC exam marks!

What these examples should show is that internal marks are meaningless in isolation, it is the ranks that matter ;D

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2018, 12:14:21 pm »
I know this is very unlikely and I have never heard before... but lets say the circumstances look like this
internal marks:
A-86
B-82
C-74
D-70
E-68
F-65
G-60
H-55
I-50
J-48
K-44
L-40
M-39
N-35
O-30
P-25

In this case, person N has suffered from 3 mental disorders and have been hospitalised before which impact assessments remendously, but when the externals come, it looks like this:
A-98
B-96
C-88
D-82
E-78
F-77
G-75
K-72
L-68
M-66
N-93
O-50
P-44

What will happen to person N if he have had disruptions in exams and was granted special provisions during the HSC (I am currently in similar situation as this for physics except I don't know my marks and ranks because I have to get my results through the principal, apparently for my own safety in case I have a meltdown over my marks)....
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2018, 06:48:55 pm »
Hey! So N's special provisions may affect how their mark is aligned, but it won't change the moderation process. Their aligned mark of 93 in the exam will be averaged with their moderated mark, which is likely to be reasonably close to the bottom of the aligned mark range, but it's impossible to say exactly where that could sit so I'm not going to hazard it :)

Analysing situations like this won't benefit you my friend. You need to abstract from it and focus on the work :)

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2018, 06:52:21 pm »
Hey,

What happens if I am ranked 1st in a class of two with a mark of 83 and the other person, who has a mark of 48 beats me in the HSC. With the 50-50 rule, will it change our ranks?

Edit:
Follow up question. Do state ranks consider the internal assessment Mark, or are they only based on the performance in the actual HSC exam?

Edit 2:
Follow up, follow up question.
If "The top assessment mark is immediately changed to equal the top examination mark in the cohort", which one copies which one. What happens if the top assessment Mark is greater than the top examination Mark. Or if the examination Mark is greater than the top assessment Mark. Which one becomes the mark question mark

:)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:07:37 pm by mxrylyn »

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2018, 07:36:13 pm »
Hey! So N's special provisions may affect how their mark is aligned, but it won't change the moderation process. Their aligned mark of 93 in the exam will be averaged with their moderated mark, which is likely to be reasonably close to the bottom of the aligned mark range, but it's impossible to say exactly where that could sit so I'm not going to hazard it :)

Analysing situations like this won't benefit you my friend. You need to abstract from it and focus on the work :)
Than that is extremely disheartening...  At least I am working consistently after trials despite the shitty feelings of bombing internals very very badly because of panic attacks etc...
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2018, 08:50:01 pm »
+2
What happens if I am ranked 1st in a class of two with a mark of 83 and the other person, who has a mark of 48 beats me in the HSC. With the 50-50 rule, will it change our ranks?

So in that situation, your marks would both be the same - The average of your HSC exam marks. Because your internal mark would moderate to the highest exam mark (theirs), and their internal mark would moderate to the lowest exam mark (yours). Provided you are happy with your performance in the HSC, this shouldn't worry you at all! :)

Follow up question. Do state ranks consider the internal assessment Mark, or are they only based on the performance in the actual HSC exam?

HSC marks, so moderated internals as well! If there is a tie, there are other procedures:

Other Procedures (Taken From NESA Website)
If students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course, then the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):

1. take an average of each student's exam mark and assessment mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place

2. take an average of each student's exam mark and assessment mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places

3. if an extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area.

Follow up, follow up question.
If "The top assessment mark is immediately changed to equal the top examination mark in the cohort", which one copies which one. What happens if the top assessment Mark is greater than the top examination Mark. Or if the examination Mark is greater than the top assessment Mark. Which one becomes the mark question mark

The assessment mark becomes the exam mark no matter what. So if the HSC marks are lower than the internal marks, you still get the HSC marks sliding in instead. This is to discourage schools giving higher internal marks to advantage their students - The system bases it all off the exam itself :)

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2018, 11:30:55 am »
What happens if

Internal :
B= 95
A = 94.3

External: situation 1
A = 95
B = 85

External Situation 2
A = 95
B = 93

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2018, 07:00:22 pm »
+2
Hi! So...

External: situation 1
A = 95
B = 85

A: Internal = 85, External = 95, HSC Mark = 90
B: Internal = 95, External = 85, HSC Mark = 90

External Situation 2
A = 95
B = 93

A: Internal = 93, External = 95, HSC Mark = 94
B: Internal = 95, External = 93, HSC Mark = 94

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2018, 07:11:50 pm »
Hi! So...

A: Internal = 85, External = 95, HSC Mark = 90
B: Internal = 95, External = 85, HSC Mark = 90

A: Internal = 93, External = 95, HSC Mark = 94
B: Internal = 95, External = 93, HSC Mark = 94

Thank you so much!
I am person A. I was far ahead in English and just got the worst trial marl ever for my discovery essay as my head teacher didnt like me doing a kids movie for my related text 😬. So im worried about how bieng 2nd will effect the moderation process, even if its only by 0.7

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2018, 12:00:43 am »
+1
Thank you so much!
I am person A. I was far ahead in English and just got the worst trial marl ever for my discovery essay as my head teacher didnt like me doing a kids movie for my related text 😬. So im worried about how bieng 2nd will effect the moderation process, even if its only by 0.7

Cool! Don't stress about Trials, it happens! In a class of two, you have to work together, so just make sure you are giving your peer a hand and that they do the same for you. It is in your best interests to work together ;D

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2018, 04:35:27 pm »
hi jamon, one more question.
for extension 2, im coming equal first out of 15 or so people. ive heard that this means our final external mark wil be the average of both our individual external marks. so does this mean im negatively affected if the other person (or vic versa) gets a really low external mark (which is scarily possible due to the subjectivity of the course)

thank you!!  :D ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:32:13 pm by ilovemycat »

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2018, 06:12:48 pm »

HSC marks, so moderated internals as well! If there is a tie, there are other procedures:

hi jamon - does ^^^ that mean that state ranks are dependant on internals?? idk but i remember someone saying its purely based on the hsc exam unless there is a tie (very likely considering hsc tests the whole state) in which case internals are considered also.

thank youuu :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2018, 06:36:47 pm »
+1

hi jamon, one more question.
for extension 2, im coming equal first out of 15 or so people. ive heard that this means our final external mark wil be the average of both our individual external marks. so does this mean im negatively affected if the other person (or vic versa) gets a really low external mark (which is possible merely due to

thank you!!  :D ;D

My understanding is that you both get the highest exam mark! You definitely don’t get the average of your exam marks, 1st place is guaranteed highest mark in the room as their internal mark (so for two of you, I assume that means you both get that!)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2018, 06:38:35 pm »
+1

hi jamon - does ^^^ that mean that state ranks are dependant on internals?? idk but i remember someone saying its purely based on the hsc exam unless there is a tie (very likely considering hsc tests the whole state) in which case internals are considered also.

thank youuu :)

That someone is incorrect but it’s a common misconception! It is the HSC mark for the course, see the section at the top of the Top Achiever’s List:

http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/11-12/hsc/results-certificates/merit-lists/top-achievers-in-course