Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:57:43 am

Author Topic: How to prepare for trials (for Phys and Chem)?  (Read 3116 times)  Share 

rem199

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to prepare for trials (for Phys and Chem)?
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:11:19 am »
Hi guys, I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this, please do tell me if I'm in the wrong section!

My trials are in 4.5 weeks, and I was wondering at this stage what my preparation should be as every time I study, I feel as if it is so redundant/not studying smart. I don't have my own notes (I used to type them but found it way too time consuming and found it did not stick in my head anymore than just reading it over once or twice), should I be memorising other peoples notes (and do you have a recommendation as to which set to use?)? or making short summaries of each dot point/notes/textbook? And in terms of past papers, how often and how many?

Did any of you struggle with memorising earlier learnt things? I'm terrified of trials because we actually had 2 prac tasks which you did not need to know theory too in depth for, so I am worried about relearning the entire syllabus in this next month :( Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!
A concerned student :/

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How to prepare for trials (for Phys and Chem)?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 01:39:27 am »
Hey rem199!! Welcome to the forums! This is definitely in the right spot :)

So pretty much, you need to do two things to prepare for Trials:

- Learn the content
- Practice applying the content

Learning the content can be done in an unlimited number of ways. Brainstorming knowledge under syllabus dot points, then cross checking with notes, was my preferred method and works really well! You could use palm cards, make worksheets for yourself - Whatever works. Here's a guide on memorising content!

The practice is, as you say, practice exams. As many as is sensible given your study schedule, and as often as is sensible given your study schedule. There is no golden threshold to meet to do well, everyone is different. But certainly, you want to make sure you've had a decent amount of experience answering exam style questions under pressure.

Be sure to stay organised and get into a routine. I talk a bit about study timetables here. You might aim to spend the rest of the holidays studying from notes/writing summaries, then start doing a practice paper every third day once school goes back. Or something like that! ;D

As a bonus, here are 18 creative ways to study!

I hope this is helpful, best of luck! Keen to see you around the forums ;D