Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:07:15 am

Author Topic: Career options  (Read 9177 times)  Share 

appianway

Re: Career options
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 03:14:21 pm »
That was always the dream, but I'm questioning whether science is even my thing, as physics is the only pure science I enjoy (I dislike chemistry, biology and mathematics at this stage). I was always pretty into humanities at high school as well as science, so I'm super confused at the moment. Thanks for all of your help guys! I'd still appreciate any suggestions, and I'm going to spend the next period of time contemplating what I'm actually doing :)

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 05:50:18 pm »
Don't base your dislike of maths on 1115 (which is a very boring subject). See if you last til 2320/2322 and then make up your mind.
Of course, I may be quite biased...
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

appianway

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 09:32:44 pm »
humph, I seriously cannot stand 1115. I'm also not great at it - the calculus proofs seem to 'click' more frequently than the linear algebra (for some strange reason... it turns out basically everyone finds the linear algebra proofs much more straightforward). In any case, I don't see myself as a mathsy person... do you think it's worth transferring to 1014 next semester? Also, does 1115 scale?

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 09:39:25 pm »
how about health economics? that has problem solving and its health related... lols and its rising atm coz more advances in medication... u dont have interact with patients that much... theres not much physics tho... unfortunately... if u wanted physics probably engineerin is betta for it

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 09:49:53 pm »
humph, I seriously cannot stand 1115. I'm also not great at it - the calculus proofs seem to 'click' more frequently than the linear algebra (for some strange reason... it turns out basically everyone finds the linear algebra proofs much more straightforward). In any case, I don't see myself as a mathsy person... do you think it's worth transferring to 1014 next semester? Also, does 1115 scale?
Eh, most people dislike 1115 - 1116 is much more "proof"y, whereas 1115 is just applying a couple of methods to solve variants of the same problem over and over again. 1014 is quite different to 1116, much more like 1115 in that it's reasonably boring (nevertheless, quite important for physicists...). Then again, it is much easier than 1116...
And 1115 can scale, depending on how everyone does in the exams. Based on your marks so far though (and yes, I did just go check them on Wattle :P), I wouldn't be too worried about it.
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

appianway

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 10:23:31 pm »
^ How can you check marks on wattle? Are exam marks out? I'm not sure where to check - the grade book doesn't seem to work...

Is 1116 worth it? I find that the workload for 1115 is quite large, as there's always an assignment which needs to be completed... and my mind doesn't work in a mathematical way. That said, chemistry doesn't excite me either (and I basically forgot about my last physics assignment, so that drew down my average a LOT).

My problem with engineering is that it's not very elegant - to me, lots of things seem like gross approximations.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 12:18:33 am »
^ How can you check marks on wattle? Are exam marks out? I'm not sure where to check - the grade book doesn't seem to work...
Um. I just looked in the gradebook. Not sure if it should be any different for students (though obviously I can see everyone's grades). Exams are being marked this week - we're marking the calculus part tomorrow and the linear algebra part on Thursday.

Is 1116 worth it? I find that the workload for 1115 is quite large, as there's always an assignment which needs to be completed... and my mind doesn't work in a mathematical way. That said, chemistry doesn't excite me either (and I basically forgot about my last physics assignment, so that drew down my average a LOT).
If you don't think that your mind works in a mathematical way, then 1116 might not be worth it, as it's all about thinking in a mathematical way: being rigorous and careful and not taking anything for granted. If you just want to learn something useful that'll turn up occasionally in applications in physics, then just take 1014.

My problem with engineering is that it's not very elegant - to me, lots of things seem like gross approximations.
This is my problem with physics, let alone engineering...
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 02:12:19 am »
Geology/Geophysics would mostly be in mining i'd imagine.

Epidemiology would be a fine career but it would involve math and i'm just basing this on my very limited knowledge of it, it seems it would be very methodical which isn't what you're aiming for.

Maybe just try out a bunch of subjects and see what you like? I mean sure you might "waste" one year of uni but uni is for exploring and having fun learning, well i think so anyway. Some people see it purely as a tool to get a job which is fine for them but i don't share their view. You really have plenty of time.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 10:17:53 pm »
Have you thought about politics? The world needs intelligent leaders..

appianway

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 10:32:48 pm »
I've got more options now that I'll be having a liberal arts education xD Funny you should say that though - politics or political advising has always been something that's intrigued me...

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 05:22:59 pm »
Please, please, pleaseeee enter politics for the sake of all mankind and pleaseee elevate the level of intelligence in Parliament. There's too many smart minds in the world that aren't making a difference in it.

:) I will vote for you if you run for PM.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:29:49 pm by Chromeo33 »

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 08:32:26 pm »
I've got more options now that I'll be having a liberal arts education xD Funny you should say that though - politics or political advising has always been something that's intrigued me...
So, youre switching to an art degree? Where at?

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

appianway

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »
+1
Yale.