Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:44 pm

Author Topic: Is fairness limited to a fair trial?  (Read 6159 times)  Share 

hdxx

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Is fairness limited to a fair trial?
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:07:57 am »

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
Re: Is fairness limited to a fair trial?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:46:56 am »
+1
No, definitely not limited to a fair trial. Fairness should occur before and after a fair trial.

Example of before would be that the accused is aware of all the pre-trial procedures, their lawyer should help them and the accused should get a clear indication when they ask for a sentencing indication to the judge.

Examples of after would be that an accused (that has be sentenced to prison) should be imprisoned without unnecessary delay and that an offender who breaks their community corrections order should appear again in court to receive a different sanction for their original offence (sometimes imprisonment or rehabilitation - depending on the offender's circumstances)

This is just one interpretation on how to answer the question, but I still have to make sure I understand 'fairness' completely first, so I don't get it confused with equality. But things will get clear when school starts! :)

Hope this helps :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

BCBlol

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Is fairness limited to a fair trial?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 03:37:15 pm »
No, fairness shouldn't be limited to final trial or hearing, it should apply to all aspects of our legal system, such as interactions with the police and our right to understand allegations made against us.