Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:49:56 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3608354 times)  Share 

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #13125 on: October 22, 2020, 03:54:22 pm »
Hello
If someone could give feedback on my response for this question and I am not sure how to draw a diagram
The mammalian heart is a double pump. Explain this statement using a diagram. Use the following terms oxygenated, deoxygenated, left side, right side, pulmonary circulation, systemic circulation, septum.

The heart is a double pump as it drives two circulations. The pulmonary circulation and the systemic circulation. The Pulmonary circulation pumps blood to the lungs and back and systemic circulation pumps blood to the body and back. Pulmonary circulation transports deoxygenated blood to the lungs where gas exchange occurs. The right side of the heart is responsible for pulmonary circulation. The right side of the heart is less muscular than the left because it only has to send blood to the lungs where gas exchange occurs in the alveoli. Oxygenated blood is transported by the left side of the heart back to the body cells in the systemic circulation. The septum separates the right and left side of the heart and prevents the mixing of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood.

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #13126 on: October 22, 2020, 06:18:25 pm »
+3
The mammalian heart is a double pump. Explain this statement using a diagram. Use the following terms oxygenated, deoxygenated, left side, right side, pulmonary circulation, systemic circulation, septum.

The heart is a double pump as it drives two circulations. The pulmonary circulation and the systemic circulation. The Pulmonary circulation pumps deoxygenated blood to the lungs and back  and returns oxygenated blood to the heart systemic circulation pumps oxygenated blood from the heart to the bodybody and back and returns deoxygenated blood from the body to the heart . Pulmonary circulation transports deoxygenated blood to the lungs where gas exchange occurs. The right side of the heart is responsible for pulmonary circulation. The right side of the heart is less muscular than the left because it only has to send deoxygenated blood to the lungs where gas exchange occurs in the alveoli, in contrast to the left side that delivers oxygenated blood to the body. Oxygenated blood is transported by the left side of the heart back to the body cells in the systemic circulation. The septum separates the right and left side of the heart and prevents the mixing of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood.
I have made some appropriate edits
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

xx-slAsh-xX

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13127 on: October 22, 2020, 09:26:38 pm »
what is a niche, in terms of VCE biology

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13128 on: October 22, 2020, 10:04:59 pm »
+7
A niche is an organisms role in an ecosystem

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #13129 on: October 22, 2020, 10:14:56 pm »
+7
what is a niche, in terms of VCE biology

Edit: I'm beaten
But to explain it further it can refer to a range of things like for animals: what it eats, what it's eaten by, it's habitat, how it interacts with other organisms, where it nests, when it's active, etc.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #13130 on: October 23, 2020, 10:15:24 am »
1. How exactly does allergen immunity therapy work? How come introducing small doses of allergen reduces immune system reaction but a vaccine leads to a great production of antibodies making it worse?

2. Is it better to day “structural morphocology” as is written on the study design or “comparative anatomy”. I put the former but debated whether to put the latter which was VCAA’s answer. Should I put both and one in brackets?

3. Also for question 7c in 15’ VCAA exam it’s asking how production of different proteins can happen despite it being the same hormone. VCAA said factors expressed by regulatory genes could lead to production of different proteins. I don’t understand this at all! I said it could activate different signal transduction pathways which my teacher said it’s correct!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 10:37:06 am by Coolgalbornin03Lo »
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #13131 on: October 23, 2020, 11:04:47 am »
+5
1. How exactly does allergen immunity therapy work? How come introducing small doses of allergen reduces immune system reaction but a vaccine leads to a great production of antibodies making it worse?

2. Is it better to day “structural morphocology” as is written on the study design or “comparative anatomy”. I put the former but debated whether to put the latter which was VCAA’s answer. Should I put both and one in brackets?

3. Also for question 7c in 15’ VCAA exam it’s asking how production of different proteins can happen despite it being the same hormone. VCAA said factors expressed by regulatory genes could lead to production of different proteins. I don’t understand this at all! I said it could activate different signal transduction pathways which my teacher said it’s correct!

Responses:

1. Allergen immunity therapy works by desensitising the body to allergens by periodically exposing a person to larger amounts of allergens. This reduces the immune reaction as the person is unlikely to come into contact with large doses of allergen naturally (hence the person is densitised). An allergic reaction is different from a immune response produced by a person, an allergic reaction is stimulated by the presence of an allergen --> which is harmless in the majority of other people, whereas a pathogen that causes an immune response is potentially harmful to all and most may not have immunity against a specific pathogen. Hence, this is where vaccines come in, before a pathogen has a chance to infect you, you are injected with a vaccine to build immunity (memory B cells, antibodies, etc) so that in the future if you are ever exposed your body will be able to react in time to prevent an infection.

2. I reckon both works as both describes the same idea, btw "morphology" spelling.

3. For this question, GC is a hormone that binds to an intracellular receptor to act as a transcription factor. Different signal transduction pathways usually refer to when a hydrophilic molecule binds to an extracellular receptor and different secondary messenger molecules and different cascade of events occur. So their answer does make sense, the factors expressed by regulatory genes are repressor proteins that controls which genes are switched on and off. Imo when they say "given that the genetic sequence is identical" you must refer to this, hence why answers related to post-transcriptional and post-translational modifications were not accepted or different signal transduction pathways. Btw: the average for this question was 0.1 for a 2 mark question
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:08:17 am by SmartWorker »
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13132 on: October 24, 2020, 07:08:45 pm »
+1
For this question
A patient is found to have large proteins present in their urine. Which part of their kidney nephrons are most likely to be damaged and why?
A the glomerular filters, because they are failing to reabsorb large proteins
B the proximal convoluted tubules because they are failing to reabsorb large proteins
C the proximal convoluted tubules, because they are allowing large proteins into the nephron tubule
D the glomerular filters, because they are allowing large proteins into the nephron tubules

Would it be d

-Lilac-

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #13133 on: October 24, 2020, 08:35:02 pm »
+5
For this question
A patient is found to have large proteins present in their urine. Which part of their kidney nephrons are most likely to be damaged and why?
A the glomerular filters, because they are failing to reabsorb large proteins
B the proximal convoluted tubules because they are failing to reabsorb large proteins
C the proximal convoluted tubules, because they are allowing large proteins into the nephron tubule
D the glomerular filters, because they are allowing large proteins into the nephron tubules

Would it be d

Yep! Bit of extra explanation here (mostly cause renal was my fav part of phys): the glomerular capillaries filter material into bowman’s capsule where it can then enter the proximal tubule and pass through the nephron. Usually, only small material can fit through but there can be problems with structures called the 'podocytes' that cause the filtration slits to get bigger, allowing large proteins such as albumin to pass through (and then end up in the urine).
Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry and Immunology)
Honours (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13134 on: October 24, 2020, 09:07:46 pm »
Hi guys!

I was wondering if in your opinion question 19 in MC of 2015 exam seems relevant to current study design? I think not but since I didn’t do bio 1/2 I have no idea what anaphase and prophase is, so I could be wrong!

Thanks very much 😊
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #13135 on: October 24, 2020, 09:16:28 pm »
+6
Hi guys!

I was wondering if in your opinion question 19 in MC of 2015 exam seems relevant to current study design? I think not but since I didn’t do bio 1/2 I have no idea what anaphase and prophase is, so I could be wrong!

Thanks very much 😊
I just looked at Q19 on 2015 exam and it's about autoimmune diseases and would be relevent. Have you got the right year/question number?
Mitosis/meiosis and the prophase/anaphase stuff is definitely not needed for year 12 bio though!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

tiredandstressed

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13136 on: October 25, 2020, 12:36:35 am »
+3
Hi guys!

Thanks very much 😊
I suspect you meant the 2016 exam, and yes MC Q16 2016 exam is not examinable in 3/4 bio
VCE '17-'18
My guides:
HHD sample questions

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13137 on: October 25, 2020, 10:47:54 am »
Oh yes I’m so sorry! I meant the 2016!
My avatar sums up life.

Moonblossom

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13138 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50:44 am »
Hey, I had a question about the specific wording when it came to defining pandemic. My teacher said the best word to use was wide spread but another person said to say uncontrolled spread not wide spread. Will it be wrong to use both of their advice and wrutr uncontrolled wide spread infection or will this also be wrong?
Thanks!

tiredandstressed

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13139 on: October 28, 2020, 10:16:16 am »
+4
Hey, I had a question about the specific wording when it came to defining pandemic. My teacher said the best word to use was wide spread but another person said to say uncontrolled spread not wide spread. Will it be wrong to use both of their advice and wrutr uncontrolled wide spread infection or will this also be wrong?
Thanks!
I dont't see any issue with either terms you could easily say "uncontrolled and widespread" personally I would use widespread, since pandemics cross borders and reaches multiple continents. Hope that helps
VCE '17-'18
My guides:
HHD sample questions