Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:38 pm

Author Topic: New Student? Read this.  (Read 127764 times)  Share 

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: New Student? Read this.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 08:37:34 pm »
+1
Erm, what? You're thinking of applying for the MD, in which case breadth definitely counts towards your GPA.

Some programs like Honours will only consider your marks in your major or related subjects.

mikee65

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »
Aha, anyway nevetheless would you happen to know which breadth are examless?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 08:56:51 pm »
Anything wishy washy usually is. Philosophy, creative writing etc.

Search for breadth subjects on the handbook and check the assessment there

mikee65

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 09:21:29 pm »

Mmm, all the philo subjects ive looked at have exams(still not discouraging) the creative writing looks good (film scripts), Russ did you do 25% breadth or just the minimum?

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 11:56:46 pm »

Mmm, all the philo subjects ive looked at have exams(still not discouraging) the creative writing looks good (film scripts), Russ did you do 25% breadth or just the minimum?

I'd love to do creative writing and philosophy amongst other similar subject types. However, I'd be too afraid to ruin my GPA this way :( If only breadth didn't have to count for Medicine entry! Ah well..
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

mikee65

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 12:24:55 am »

I'd love to do creative writing and philosophy amongst other similar subject types. However, I'd be too afraid to ruin my GPA this way :( If only breadth didn't have to count for Medicine entry! Ah well..
oh man, tell me about it

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 01:29:50 am »

oh man, tell me about it

Well you could find out you are actually good at it, and then it could aid your GPA. First year isn't weighted as much as others anyway if it doesn't work out.. I'm personally just not as willing to take a risk yet :P
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 10:24:13 am »
+1

Did 2 creative writing, one philosophy and one uni breadth (genetics and ethics). Probably going to do two more breadth this year, both about population health/control

Don't worry about your GPA when picking subjects, that's a great way to screw yourself over. Why should the advice "do what you enjoy" be any different at uni than at VCE?

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 01:49:39 pm »
+1
Russ,

amazing post.

ily babezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 02:35:12 pm »

Did 2 creative writing, one philosophy and one uni breadth (genetics and ethics). Probably going to do two more breadth this year, both about population health/control

Don't worry about your GPA when picking subjects, that's a great way to screw yourself over. Why should the advice "do what you enjoy" be any different at uni than at VCE?

How did you find creative writing? & How did the majority go - did it seem to most that it was difficult to get an HD - is it possible for an average writer to get this?
Unfortunately I will worry about GPA, since I'll try to transfer to UNSW after first year, so I really need perfect grades for this over the year to raise my ATAR to be competitive.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:38 pm »
+1
Depends on how you treat the subject. To get an H1 your writing really does need to be edited to the extreme. Your tutor's comments absolutely must be followed exactly, because it's completely subjective and if they don't like it when they mark it...bad luck

mikee65

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 03:37:08 pm »
Depends on how you treat the subject. To get an H1 your writing really does need to be edited to the extreme. Your tutor's comments absolutely must be followed exactly, because it's completely subjective and if they don't like it when they mark it...bad luck
Yea the subjective nature of those subjects poses a risk, did you do film scripting? you do ok?

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »

Ah, that's no fun. hmmm may just learn a language over February and then do it as breadth.

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 03:53:42 pm »

How did you find creative writing? & How did the majority go - did it seem to most that it was difficult to get an HD - is it possible for an average writer to get this?
Unfortunately I will worry about GPA, since I'll try to transfer to UNSW after first year, so I really need perfect grades for this over the year to raise my ATAR to be competitive.

A few of my friends got H3-H2Bs in creative writing. I had a look at some of their stuff and, to be honest...it was shithouse. lol

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 06:50:03 pm »

An article about upfront CSP payments... I've noticed a few have you have been asking whether you should pay upfront to get the 20% discount and such.

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=100209
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||