Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:03:31 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Language Question Thread  (Read 151485 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE English Language Question Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 09, 2019, 07:22:35 pm »
+2
Hey! :)

I did eng lang without units 1&2 and found learning all of the metalanguage over the holidays to be really helpful. Aside from that I also read through some notes/books but learning metalanguage was the most useful part imo.

I didn't do any tutoring in my VCE so I can't comment too much on that

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2020, 01:53:38 pm »
Can someone please explain covert and overt prestige? Thanks!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2020, 02:18:19 pm »
+3
Can someone please explain covert and overt prestige? Thanks!

I find it useful to link back to  overt (obvious) and covert (concealed/subtle).

I consider it more obvious that you can gain prestige through displaying strong command of SAE. This is the type of thing you see where people might be more likely to agree with a comment - and view the author as having higher status - if the comment adheres to standard spelling and grammar. This is an example of how adhering to SAE conventions can grant overt prestige.

On the other hand, breaking the standards of SAE can also confer prestige. For example, using informal colloquialisms and non-standard in-group lexemes may signal identification with a particular group and raise status among the members of that group,
thus conferring covert prestige.

Hope these examples help!

interessant

• Forum Regular
« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2020, 05:46:54 pm »
Thank you!

In a (summer holiday) homework essay, is it okay to use examples from quite a few years back, or must they all be from this year? I've found a really good example from 2006 but it's quite dated clearly.

mod edit: merged double post
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:05:38 pm by Bri MT »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2020, 08:31:18 pm »
+2
In a (summer holiday) homework essay, is it okay to use examples from quite a few years back, or must they all be from this year? I've found a really good example from 2006 but it's quite dated clearly.

This comes down to teacher judgement so I can't really good you a good answer here.  If it was me,  I'd probably look for more recent examples but if I couldn't find one & had already planned for the 2006 one to be in my essay I'd use the 2006 one. Then when you receive feedback on your writing you might be more likely to learn from it than if you felt forced into a subpar situation.

Again,  I can't be sure how your teacher would react. Is it possible for you to email/ask them? 

interessant

• Forum Regular
« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2020, 10:06:42 pm »
Ohhh I see, that's a good idea! I'll email them as well :) Thank you

minmin114

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #276 on: January 29, 2020, 10:36:14 am »
+5
Hey guys :)

I feel like this may not be entirely relevant to this thread but I was wondering if someone could start a new resources/examples/articles topic in the eng lang board for 2020 just as a place to compile everything because all I could find was one called 2018 examples and the latest posts are from mid-2019 which is not going to be very useful for 2020.

I would do it myself but I have no idea how I would start or structure it so I thought someone on here might be able to.
I think it would be a good idea since eng lang resources are so hard to find so it would be good if it's all in one place and if lots of people contribute it then it would make finding examples easier.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #277 on: January 29, 2020, 10:43:32 am »
Hey guys :)

I feel like this may not be entirely relevant to this thread but I was wondering if someone could start a new resources/examples/articles topic in the eng lang board for 2020 just as a place to compile everything because all I could find was one called 2018 examples and the latest posts are from mid-2019 which is not going to be very useful for 2020.

I would do it myself but I have no idea how I would start or structure it so I thought someone on here might be able to.
I think it would be a good idea since eng lang resources are so hard to find so it would be good if it's all in one place and if lots of people contribute it then it would make finding examples easier.

Hey :)

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a great idea, I'll set one up now :)

interessant

• Forum Regular
« Reply #278 on: January 29, 2020, 06:55:07 pm »
I'm stuck on thinking of a third body paragraph for an essay, the topic saying that Australian identity is strongly related to informal language usage. I've already talked about it being a medium of expression and it reducing social distance and indicating the easy-going nature of Australians but I can't for the life of me think of the last one. Could someone help me out?

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2020, 07:20:00 pm »
+2
I'm stuck on thinking of a third body paragraph for an essay, the topic saying that Australian identity is strongly related to informal language usage. I've already talked about it being a medium of expression and it reducing social distance and indicating the easy-going nature of Australians but I can't for the life of me think of the last one. Could someone help me out?
This really all depends on your contention. You want it to be slightly more complex than a basic agreement with the prompt, otherwise you'll struggle to hit the higher marks.

I think I'd have my third and final paragraph about the interplay between formal settings (context) and informal Aussie lingo. This can be seen with something as simple as Scott Morrison's speech to the media today in relation to the Coronavirus, using the phrase 'Pacific Family', being idiomatic as they're technically not family, but it exemplifies the Australian value of mateship. Additionally, I'm sure you could find many other examples of those in formal positions (eg. businesspeople, politicians, white collar workers etc.) using Australian slang at various points. This is more subtle than the language just exemplifying the 'easy-going nature of Australians', but that it actually forms as a part of everyday Australian communication, even in more typically formal contexts.

You could also centre that 3rd paragraph around an 'appeal to the Australian public' (ie. they're laypeople, and due to a degree of tall poppy syndrome, they don't like people sounding better than them).
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

interessant

• Forum Regular
« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2020, 09:12:43 pm »
Thank you so much! That's a lot more in-depth than my previous two points so it will definitely boost those marks :)

minmin114

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2020, 05:27:57 pm »
Hey :)

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a great idea, I'll set one up now :)

thank youuu

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2020, 05:58:36 pm »
thank youuu

you're absolutely welcome!

If you haven't found it yet, it's here :)

emilyywoodss_

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2020, 12:50:11 pm »
Does anyone know what pet names are classified as on the Year 12 study design, or if it is there? I've found hypocorism as an option but its not on the study design from what i can see

MrVCEEnglishLanguageTeacher

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2020, 10:57:46 pm »
+3
Vocatives? Or if you want study design, proper nouns? E.g. "The proper noun "Maxy" which has undergone suffixation with the bound morpheme -y to reflect endearment in Emily's puppy's name?"