Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:37 pm

Author Topic: How to make study notes from 2+ textbooks??  (Read 1041 times)  Share 

thenuttyprofessor

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How to make study notes from 2+ textbooks??
« on: July 01, 2019, 04:44:32 pm »
How would one make study notes from multiple textbooks? Could someone give an example of their layout and how they did that layout?

Any help would really be appreciated

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: How to make study notes from 2+ textbooks??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:41:37 pm »
+3
Hey!

I'd get a copy of the study design and use the dot points to make headings. Then go through one of your textbooks and write out all the relevant information (textbooks have a lot of useless info) in a way that makes sense to you. I'd then go through another textbook and make sure it doesn't contradict anything you've already written, and add anything else that you think is necessary or anything that helps you to understand it.

With multiple textbooks you're going to have heaps and heaps of unnecessary info, so regardless of how you choose to make your notes, make sure that you're following the study design and not wasting time learning things that you don't need to know.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

thenuttyprofessor

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:51:11 pm »
Cool!

Another thing, did you take notes on paper or laptop? If paper did you use looseleaf so you could add pages or did you leave space?

Thanks!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 09:59:32 pm »
+1
Cool!

Another thing, did you take notes on paper or laptop? If paper did you use looseleaf so you could add pages or did you leave space?

Thanks!
I did mine on paper, and not on looseleaf, but it's also worth noting that I didn't actually have any textbooks haha. Given it's already July, you're probably better off doing it on your laptop because it'll be much faster, but if you want to do it on paper then I'd either use looseleaf or leave an extra page at the end of your notes for each study design dot point for anything you want to add later.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

xxxjss

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 10:05:51 pm »
+3
How would one make study notes from multiple textbooks? Could someone give an example of their layout and how they did that layout?

It shouldn't be too different than making study notes from one textbook!! As someone whom makes notes off like 238486834 resources ( Currently Heinemann Bio and jacaranda bio with past students notes from this site xD), what I do is read the set texts, find the explanations that i like and mish mash them into the ultimate sentence/summary. My layout is exactly the same as if i were to summarise from one textbook, just with knowledge from multiple sources.  E.g subheading "Animal hormones" which follows dot points of a summary of integrated information from the resources such as ' - a signalling molecule produced by ductless glands of the endocrine system in which disperses across the bloodstream to a target cell in animals'
'- produced in low  concentrations yet has long lasting effects as can take awhile for the body to break down' etc.
I heavily emphasise the word summary as you shouldn't just be mindlessly copying off the textbook. Hence partly why i use several resources; it forces me to process and choose information, adapting two textbook definitions into one - my own. But yeah, I don't think there is a severely different way of note taking if you have multiple textbooks, as your notes should be based off the study design not your textbook. It just probably needs more attention to identify what is important out of the texts and choose what you feel you understand more  :o  :P
Hope this helps xD

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 10:07:48 pm »
+4

I did for most of the year routinely make notes from multiple different sources (textbook, summary notes, teachers slideshows, and other websites). What I would typically do is read through all the content until I properly grasped the idea and then noted that idea down in the way I personally understood it. I feel like this is important. If you force yourself to understand something and write down a idea/topic without just copying definitions from a textbook, I think you'll really retain that information better. Yes, it does consume more time than just copying notes from a textbook, but I personally would say it is worth it. But that is just my opinion.
ALso, while I did not personally use the study design when I was doing 3/4 bio last year, I do agree with PF above that it can be a very useful resource when making your notes (I am certainly making use of the study design this year).

Cool!

Thanks!
loose leaf in binders for me! I liked hand writing but I really liked the ability to add and remove pages. It would have really annoyed me to use an exercise book haha
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 02:56:00 pm »
My layout probably is not very efficient, but I really struggled memorising the bio content so I made a couple of sets of succinct notes. (One set from a textbook, one from Edrolo, one from during class) and then made a three page summary of all of the key points that I needed to remember just before the Unit 1 exam.

It was certainly not efficient, but I learn things best by handwriting notes and doing practise questions to apply that so it actually really helped me!