Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 04:25:31 pm

Author Topic: I need to eat more.  (Read 33855 times)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
I need to eat more.
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:40 am »
+29
So, your girl is an idiot and keeps forgetting to eat/drink to the point where she's running in P.E. and collapses. So... about time to start a thread to motivate myself to eat. (Please don't judge me for this. It's a habit I got into a while ago and I can't seem to just remember to do the basics haha)

For breakfast today, I am eating a meat pie and a bit of water from the school bubblers. Will be getting a drink bottle asap. It's just very difficult to remember when there's so much to do!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:19:40 am by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
Re: I need to eat more.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 01:23:40 pm »
+11
This is something I've struggled with for a long time.
Do you have much appetite? Or is a more a matter of not having time or motivation to eat?
If it's the latter, I recommend :
• Bringing small snacks (chocolate, museli bars, fruit etc) in your pockets or in bags with you everywhere so you can snack constantly. Better something than nothing.
• Set an alarm on your phone to remind yourself to eat. And tell a friend so they can make you eat when it goes off, even if you ignore it.
• Make timed eating periods. If you can make ten minutes eat as much as possjbke. Again something is better than nothing.

Gold luck !!
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:44:06 pm »
+6
This is something I've struggled with for a long time.
Do you have much appetite? Or is a more a matter of not having time or motivation to eat?
If it's the latter, I recommend :
• Bringing small snacks (chocolate, museli bars, fruit etc) in your pockets or in bags with you everywhere so you can snack constantly. Better something than nothing.
• Set an alarm on your phone to remind yourself to eat. And tell a friend so they can make you eat when it goes off, even if you ignore it.
• Make timed eating periods. If you can make ten minutes eat as much as possjbke. Again something is better than nothing.

Gold luck !!
Thanks, sarangiya! Will take this into account :))

It's a matter of both - I'm not hungry, and I have zero motivation to eat. I find it kind of difficult to eat around people because I get stressed about it for some reason (probably the fear of getting something unknowingly stuck in my braces haha), and I don't enjoy eating when I have something else to do. It's just too hard. But today in sport that went waaay too far -  if you're tired to the point that your legs give out, it's not a good sign. I'll do my best to follow your advice from now on to prevent that, and help with my focus! :)
Turns out my slightly hypocritical food guide is more than slightly hypocritical, geez ;-;

Update: got home and ate a little bit of muesli and an avocado. Drank a whole glass of water. Will try to remember breakfast tomorrow!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:48:42 pm »
+7
I used to struggle with this a lot, and found that breakfast makes a huge difference.

Also consider prepreparing food so that it's less effort at the time.  For me, food is one of the first things I'll cut out if I don't have time so it's especially important to make that time and have a healthy sleep schedule. 

I don't want to project my experiences onto you too much but yeah: sleep and eat breakfast - that'll make easier for other things to fall in place

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:06:32 pm »
+5
I find it hard to make healthy snacks or lunches for the same reasons, particularly to take to school, so one thing which worked really well for me and my sister recently was making pizzas. We made quite a few large pizzas and had a couple for dinner that night then froze the rest for school lunches and snacks. It was really good because we set aside some time specifically to make the pizzas (solving the motivation/time problem, plus we were making dinner), and they lasted for over a week. You can put meat and heaps of veggies on them so they are really healthy, and its so easy because you just have to get a slice out of the freezer to take to school (or when you get home considering you get stressed eating around other people :) ). Plus they are super yum!  ;D
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »
+13
This thread is working already! I managed to eat breakfast (porridge), morning tea (a fruit cup of pear), afternoon tea (watermelon and prawn crackers) AND dinner (pad thai and dumplings, then some watermelon)! May have fed my lunch to the chickens, but I'm pretty proud of myself nevertheless. :) Forgot about the water bottle, but it's in my room - I just need to keep working on creating a habit.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
+7
Never mind, this thread can’t motivate me to wake up on time. :(

Forgot all food but a little apple sauce cup... thankfully, my saving grace came in the form of a friend with a Krispy Kreme donut and the year 12 coordinator and welfare people made brownies and brought massive boxes of cookies and milk - so, not the healthiest of days, but the hoard of cookies is something to help me keep going into work tonight. :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 01:55:42 pm »
+4
Never mind, this thread can’t motivate me to wake up on time. :(

One event is not a trend, and the motivation has always been from you.
You've still got this,  it's just going to take time to create new habits

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 10:31:21 am »
+7
One event is not a trend, and the motivation has always been from you.
You've still got this,  it's just going to take time to create new habits
Thanks, mini! I know it'll take me a while. Hell, even yesterday, when I had nothing to do, I still managed to miss breakfast completely, have a piece of sushi at like 2:00 and a tiny beef bowl for dinner. Absolutely pathetic.
It'll take some work, but I'll get there. I need to start setting alarms haha

Got up at a decent time this morning! (Yay!) Had some muesli and pear for breakfast, so it's a good start! I also have some apple juice, so you know, don't let dehydration ruin your vacation! :D

Tangent: I think I got into the habit of not drinking because I hate going to the toilet. Probably a bad thing, to prefer dehydration to actually just doing what I inevitably have to do at some point, but I should really get over that. Just another thing to improve, hey?

So, in summary, I have three goals:
Goal #1 - eat more
Goal #2 - drink more
Goal #3 - pee more lol
I am redy 4 this

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 12:14:40 pm »
+5
Tangent: I think I got into the habit of not drinking because I hate going to the toilet. Probably a bad thing, to prefer dehydration to actually just doing what I inevitably have to do at some point, but I should really get over that. Just another thing to improve, hey?
It might help to go to the toilet anyway - even if you don’t need to pee. Like, go at the same time (between classes or whatever) so at least you’ll be in the habit so it won’t be so annoying when you actually do have to go.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 08:58:38 pm »
+5
Again very relatable.
I don't go to the bathroom at all at school. The way I manage this is to:
* Go to the bathroom before school at home
* Drink only little at school
* Drink lots after school and go to the bathroom at home

It's probably not the best, and I agree with you in thinking it is something to 'improve' while I kind of avoid it.
I think it is dependent on the reason. It is a comfort thing for me. Even though they probably aren't, I see the toilets at school as particularly dirty. Also, I get anxiety and can't physically 'go' if I can hear other people lmao. To combat that, I just block my ears hahaha. Bit weird, I know, but well.
I think PhoenixxFire has great advice if your reason is time or procrastination(?). But I couldn't because I'd be too scared that if some day at that time I couldn't bring myself to go, I'd have to be uncomfortable until I got home.

All I can say is that life will be better at uni hahaha. Good luck!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:00:09 pm by sarangiya »

♡ Subjects ♡
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 12:34:14 pm »
+10
Spoiler

You know this gurl's got her free burrito...
And she gon eat it, yeh boi <3

Past couple of days have been really good! Even though I missed breakfast two days in a row, I made it up with remembering recess, lunch, then having a good afternoon tea of greek yoghurt, muesli, blueberries and strawberries. This is a rare thing, so I'm taking advantage of the Costco trip for as long as possible :)

Also finally remembered a water bottle!
@sarangiya @PhoenixxFire- I got up the courage to drink the WHOLE 600mL thing AND pee at school, haha - thanks for your encouragement y'all - stay hydrated and happy with full and healthy tummies! <3

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 07:39:42 pm »
+4
@sarangiya @PhoenixxFire- I got up the courage to drink the WHOLE 600mL thing AND pee at school, haha - thanks for your encouragement y'all - stay hydrated and happy with full and healthy tummies! <3
Awesome! Hope it works out for you!
How are you feeling about these changes to your diet? Any noticeable changes?

♡ Subjects ♡

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:50 pm »
+3
hmmm... thats also a major problem 4 me! I have chronic dehydration as a result of a lot of years drinking just enough to take my tablets each morning... not good. :-\
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 10:49:26 am »
+7
About time for an update. :)
Awesome! Hope it works out for you!
How are you feeling about these changes to your diet? Any noticeable changes?
thanks! Not really changes in my diet (I’ve always been a healthy eater) but in the frequency of meals as well as the amount. I’m not that tired right now which is really good, and today is our cross-country, so hopefully I’ll have the energy to come better than third place this year due to these changes!

Friends have been keeping me accountable too (@techno) so this has been an encouragement to remember to eat and drink, even when I feel stressed or sick or not hungry. Eating in the mornings also helps me remember medication, so all in all this thread has been really beneficial so far. :)

hmmm... thats also a major problem 4 me! I have chronic dehydration as a result of a lot of years drinking just enough to take my tablets each morning... not good. :-\
exactly what’s happened to me with drinking! Keep working on improving your habits; you’ll get there. We’re barracking for you! :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:51:22 am by secretly_a_poet »