Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:06:31 am

Author Topic: Paper 2 tomorrow- worth pulling all nighter?  (Read 759 times)

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Paper 2 tomorrow- worth pulling all nighter?
« on: August 07, 2018, 06:16:07 pm »
Hi everyone,

So i'm pretty screwed right now. I have a module A essay from term 2's task done, i have 3/4 of module C and no essay at all for mod B.

My main concern is module B. i'm doing Yeats poetry and i'm honestly not sure what 'm even supposed to do? I've read a bunch of module b exempler essays and they seem really complex. I'm also confused about whole "how have different audiences received it?". I was discussing this with a friend and she told that that her tutor told her that was the old syllabus and we don't need to talk about how its universal themes have transcended context? Does anyone know if she's right about that? And if she is, what exactly is mod b about? Since i get how mod a is context comparison and mod c is representations.

Also, with mod b being a 'personal response', does that mean we can give whatever interpretation we want as long as we back it up with evidence? I read my schools mod b feedback though and they said a few people interpreted 'Irish Airman' incorrectly, so does that mean traditional interpretation > personal response?

For mod b, how much context about the author + his time do we need. E.g. for Yeats, would i discuss the political climate of Ireland and Britain? How much would be too much?

Thirdly, should i just memorise all the quotes and some analysis for Mod a and c? Or do you reckon thesis sentences and intro are also worthy?

And for mod b, should i just memorise quotes, or would it be important to do a rough essay? I think since mod b is so difficult for me, practise would be good, however i'm also aware the question can be a curveball, so would there be any point?

Last question, all nighter or 2-3 hours of sleep? I'm honestly not prepared at all. Nap would be good, just worried i won't wake up.

Thanks for reading all these questions!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:28:06 pm by Lilabear123 »

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Paper 2 tomorrow- worth pulling all nighter?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:30:54 pm »
+3
Hi everyone,

So i'm pretty screwed right now. I have a module A essay from term 2's task done, i have 3/4 of module C and no essay at all for mod B.

My main concern is module B. i'm doing Yeats poetry and i'm honestly not sure what 'm even supposed to do? I've read a bunch of module b exempler essays and they seem really complex. I'm also confused about whole "how have different audiences received it?". I was discussing this with a friend and she told that that her tutor told her that was the old syllabus and we don't need to talk about how its universal themes have transcended context? Does anyone know if she's right about that? And if she is, what exactly is mod b about? Since i get how mod a is context comparison and mod c is representations.

Also, with mod b being a 'personal response', does that mean we can give whatever interpretation we want as long as we back it up with evidence? I read my schools mod b feedback though and they said a few people interpreted 'Irish Airman' incorrectly, so does that mean traditional interpretation > personal response?

Thirdly, should i just memorise all the quotes and some analysis for Mod a and c? Or do you reckon thesis sentences and intro are also worthy?

And for mod b, should i just memorise quotes, or would it be important to do a rough essay? I think since mod b is so difficult for me, practise would be good, however i'm also aware the question can be a curveball, so would there be any point?

Last question, all nighter or 2-3 hours of sleep? I'm honestly not prepared at all. Nap would be good, just worried i won't wake up.

Thanks!!!!!!
Hey!
I can't talk about mod B as i completely BOMBED it today  :'( :'(

But for mod A, C definitely memorise the quotes and analysis, as they form the backbone of your essay regardless of the question.Perhaps it would be good to have a thesis statement for each up your sleeve. But not an entire intro as most of it will depend on the question.

I cannot stress this point enough. DO.NOT.PULL.AN.ALL.NIGHTER
You are doing more damage to yourself than good. Even if your exam results suffer, your health shouldn't suffer. You should look at a MINIMUM of several hours of sleep.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 06:32:06 pm »
+5
Hey hey! Since you are short on time I'll keep my answers short:

- Mod B = Critical Study, text do good job presenting message or nah? Why?

- Personal response w/ evidence can't be incorrect. Call bullshit on your schools marking ;)

- Little bit of context is fine, don't need much so don't make a point of learning any extra

- Whatever you can get in your head. You can always come up with ideas on the spot, quotes you must remember, so I'd be going quotes and stuff :)

- Focus on memorising quotes for Mod B, but do that by writing dot point essays (put the quotes in the paragraphs you would use them in). Win win.

- Way more sleep. Like, a solid half dozen if you can. Even getting to sleep at 2am and getting up at 7am would be better than an all nighter - You'll perform your best rested.

- Be. Calm. You'll be totally fine, and this is Trials anyway. Just another internal task. Realistically, not even a big deal in the grand scheme :)

Good luck!

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:46:48 pm »
Hey!
I can't talk about mod B as i completely BOMBED it today  :'( :'(

But for mod A, C definitely memorise the quotes and analysis, as they form the backbone of your essay regardless of the question.Perhaps it would be good to have a thesis statement for each up your sleeve. But not an entire intro as most of it will depend on the question.

I cannot stress this point enough. DO.NOT.PULL.AN.ALL.NIGHTER
You are doing more damage to yourself than good. Even if your exam results suffer, your health shouldn't suffer. You should look at a MINIMUM of several hours of sleep.

Thanks for the tips!!! Best of luck for your next exams, you can do it!

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 06:47:43 pm »
Hey hey! Since you are short on time I'll keep my answers short:

- Mod B = Critical Study, text do good job presenting message or nah? Why?

- Personal response w/ evidence can't be incorrect. Call bullshit on your schools marking ;)

- Little bit of context is fine, don't need much so don't make a point of learning any extra

- Whatever you can get in your head. You can always come up with ideas on the spot, quotes you must remember, so I'd be going quotes and stuff :)

- Focus on memorising quotes for Mod B, but do that by writing dot point essays (put the quotes in the paragraphs you would use them in). Win win.

- Way more sleep. Like, a solid half dozen if you can. Even getting to sleep at 2am and getting up at 7am would be better than an all nighter - You'll perform your best rested.

- Be. Calm. You'll be totally fine, and this is Trials anyway. Just another internal task. Realistically, not even a big deal in the grand scheme :)

Good luck!

Thanks Jamon! Solid advice as always :)