Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:19:37 am

Author Topic: Question  (Read 543 times)  Share 

wilfred

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Question
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:04:54 pm »
This is probs just a simple question but i am stuck
It shows two pictures of diffraction patterns one is a monochromatic X-ray and the other is electrons, these are shot though aluminium foil to create essentially the same pattern.
The X-ray has an energy of 2.28x10^-16 J and momentum of 7.94x10^-25
Does the X-ray have the same energy or momentum as the electrons? explain your choice
So my question is can it not be both because energy for both is calculated by E=hc/(wavelength) and momentum of both is p=h/(wavelength) and since they both have the same wavelength the will have the same momentum and energy?
thanks

kurrymuncher

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:57:48 pm »
This is probs just a simple question but i am stuck
It shows two pictures of diffraction patterns one is a monochromatic X-ray and the other is electrons, these are shot though aluminium foil to create essentially the same pattern.
The X-ray has an energy of 2.28x10^-16 J and momentum of 7.94x10^-25
Does the X-ray have the same energy or momentum as the electrons? explain your choice
So my question is can it not be both because energy for both is calculated by E=hc/(wavelength) and momentum of both is p=h/(wavelength) and since they both have the same wavelength the will have the same momentum and energy?
thanks

No,

You cannot use E=hc/(wavelength) to calculate the energy for electrons. This formula is only for light!

They will have the same momentum but not the same energy.