Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:37:25 am

Author Topic: VCE Methods Question Thread!  (Read 4802906 times)  Share 

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Reply #18555 on: May 28, 2020, 07:59:54 pm »
Hi guys,

The attached question related to what the domain of T(X) has caused debate with many of my friends. What do you guys reckon it is, ive heard people say: (0,200), (0,200], [0,200) and [0,200]. Very confused.

Thanks in advance
Hello, I remember doing a variation of this question (same diagram but different names) a while back. The answer for the domain should be [0,200]. There's no reason why x can't be 0 or 200, because that still results in a point on the rectangle. There is no rule in the question stating that d must be a diagonal line, so x can be anywhere from 0 to 200 (both included).
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #18556 on: May 29, 2020, 10:08:37 pm »
How should I define a composite functions?

Should  I define the function:
such as if the functions are h(x)= 4 g(x)= x^2

Should I do g: R--> R, g(4)=4^2

or

should I do g:R-->R, g(h(x))=4^2
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #18557 on: May 29, 2020, 11:02:25 pm »
+4
Best to use the second one. Saying g(4) gives the impression that you're just plugging x=4 into the equation (which is essentially what you're doing if h(x) is just a straight line, but you need to show the assessors you know what the question is asking for)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18558 on: May 30, 2020, 01:47:38 pm »
Hey!

That is my mistake, I've gone back and edited my previous post to reflect the change. Good pickup! :)

k is some constant of proportionality - ie. we just use it to denote some placeholder value that lies within the real numbers to describe a relationship between two things that change with respect to each other. You might be more familiar with 'T is proportional to some f(x)' or '\(T \propto f(x)\)' - this is just another way of writing the exact same thing. We know it goes there because in the question it explicitly states the time taken to move upstream is directly proportional to the difference in y-coordinates :)

Hope this helps :)

Yes, I just checked the post again and it makes sense :) Thank you so much you legend! Helped me heaps!!

kat05

• Trailblazer
« Reply #18559 on: May 30, 2020, 01:59:27 pm »
Hello,
Could someone please help me out with part f of Q4 from 2011 methods exam 2? Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jennynghiem

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #18560 on: May 30, 2020, 02:13:58 pm »
Can someone please help me with this question?

The side view of a roller coster in a hamster's cage is shown below, where h is the vertical height, in mm, of the roller coaster above the bottom of the cage and x is the horizontal distance, in mm, from the start of the roller coaster.
The start of the roller coaster is (0,125), where it is attached to the side of the cage. The maximum height reached by the roller coaster is 250 mm and the roller coaster first reaches the bottom of the cage when x=500. The end of the roller coaster is where it touched the bottom of the cage for the second time.
The highest point of the roller coaster can be modelled by the equation h= Asin(nx) + B, where A, N, and B are real constants.

a) Find the values of A, n and B

b) It is found that the roller coaster is not strong enough to support large hamsters. It is decided that supports are required under each of the 'high points' of the roller coaster. The support is a cuboid of width 50mm. (I can't show the picture but it is a square with a bottom length of 50mm and an upside down parabola on top)

What is the maximum height the cuboid structure can be if its edges touch the arch? Give your answer correct to the nearest millimetre.

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #18561 on: May 30, 2020, 02:34:37 pm »
+1
Can someone please help me with this question?

The side view of a roller coster in a hamster's cage is shown below, where h is the vertical height, in mm, of the roller coaster above the bottom of the cage and x is the horizontal distance, in mm, from the start of the roller coaster.
The start of the roller coaster is (0,125), where it is attached to the side of the cage. The maximum height reached by the roller coaster is 250 mm and the roller coaster first reaches the bottom of the cage when x=500. The end of the roller coaster is where it touched the bottom of the cage for the second time.
The highest point of the roller coaster can be modelled by the equation h= Asin(nx) + B, where A, N, and B are real constants.

a) Find the values of A, n and B

b) It is found that the roller coaster is not strong enough to support large hamsters. It is decided that supports are required under each of the 'high points' of the roller coaster. The support is a cuboid of width 50mm. (I can't show the picture but it is a square with a bottom length of 50mm and an upside down parabola on top)

What is the maximum height the cuboid structure can be if its edges touch the arch? Give your answer correct to the nearest millimetre.

Is there a particular part of the question you are struggling with?
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

Jennynghiem

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #18562 on: May 30, 2020, 02:38:38 pm »
I don't understand both of them unfortunately :(

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #18563 on: June 01, 2020, 10:45:26 am »
Bound reference - can I use my textbook and then tape an exercise book onto it, if I construct out of tape a single spine?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #18564 on: June 01, 2020, 04:55:48 pm »
+1
Bound reference - can I use my textbook and then tape an exercise book onto it, if I construct out of tape a single spine?

Technically yes, however, I think most would agree that this is not necessary and you should probably make a concise summary of the textbook that YOU understand. A big bound reference may sound enticing but is not as good as it sounds when you spend 5 minutes trying to find a single formula.  :)

Try making a summary of notes and complex questions as I find this is the best bound reference  ;D
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18565 on: June 01, 2020, 08:11:48 pm »
+3
100% agree with what eloisegrace said above! Slightly unpopular opinion, but I believe that having a lengthy bound reference is not only unhelpful, but counterproductive and could actually sabotage your performance.

No one I know who scored a 45+ in methods had a bound reference of more than 5-10 pages. Similarly, most people in my cohort who brought in their textbook / commercial notes only got in the 30s.

I would strongly recommend against bringing your textbook in because it is virtually useless. If you actually came across a question you cannot do on the exam, the textbook is unlikely to be of any help. Tbh, you shouldn't need a bound reference on the exam at all.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18566 on: June 02, 2020, 11:12:42 am »
Try making a summary of notes and complex questions as I find this is the best bound reference  ;D
I would strongly recommend against bringing your textbook in because it is virtually useless. If you actually came across a question you cannot do on the exam, the textbook is unlikely to be of any help. Tbh, you shouldn't need a bound reference on the exam at all.

Thanks! I'll look into it. Also, is it the same for the Unit 3 SAC?
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18567 on: June 02, 2020, 12:31:07 pm »
Also about the bound book:- can we tape pieces of paper into our bound book if it's done securely and non-fold-out? (e.g. if I want to draw a graph and my bound book is just lined paper)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18568 on: June 02, 2020, 07:40:11 pm »
+2
Thanks! I'll look into it. Also, is it the same for the Unit 3 SAC?

No worries ^-^

Re: unit 3 SAC - wdym? If you're asking whether a bound ref is necessary for your school SAC's, I would say no - but since you're not expected to be exam-ready at this point you should definitely still bring in any notes that may help. Just do not bring in your textbook. Making your own notes would help you revise too.

Also about the bound book:- can we tape pieces of paper into our bound book if it's done securely and non-fold-out? (e.g. if I want to draw a graph and my bound book is just lined paper)

As long as it's secured along one spine and doesn't stick out, you should be fine.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18569 on: June 04, 2020, 10:03:16 am »
Re: unit 3 SAC - wdym? If you're asking whether a bound ref is necessary for your school SAC's, I would say no - but since you're not expected to be exam-ready at this point you should definitely still bring in any notes that may help. Just do not bring in your textbook. Making your own notes would help you revise too.

We have a SAC for unit 3 that says we can bring a bound reference. I was more checking - the rules apply that are the same?
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her