Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:21:45 am

Author Topic: FOLIO PRESENTATION HELP!!  (Read 6187 times)  Share 

jacitran

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
FOLIO PRESENTATION HELP!!
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:32:11 pm »
Hi everyone!
Hope ya'll are calm and not freaking out about exams  :)
Ok so I got an email today from RMIT that said I was shortlisted for their Bachelor of Fine Arts course (yay) and said that Ill have to do a folio presentation in December so Im just wondering what's the best layout for the folio? Right now I just have an A2 size pad that I put all of my work and studies in but I feel like that would be too messy and whatnot especially with the spiral part falling off. Should I have a display folder and what size, an A3 visual diary or what? Also what should I be including when I present this? Should I do both? A crisp clean display folder and my A2 pad thats being held together by tape?

*SIDE NOTE* What should I wear? Would it be ok if I wear something casual?

Instructions on the email but im still not sure whats going on (sorry):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the folio presentation you will be asked questions about your work and interests, in line with the selection criteria, with particular focus on your relevant skills, attributes, knowledge and experiences.
FOLIO PRESENTATION REQUIREMENTS:
Please bring along the following documentation to the folio presentation: Proof of ID.
If you are applying for advanced standing (e.g. entry into Year 2), please ensure you present copies of your academic transcripts and/or certificates at your presentation.
FOLIO REQUIREMENTS:
The work you bring should include originals of the work you submitted for pre-selection, as well as any additional work(s) you would like to present.  Additional works can include journals, workbooks, website urls, videos, sound recordings, mock-ups.  Any work that is too large or fragile to bring should be well documented with photographs or video.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks! This is seriously worrying me and having your opinions or advice will really help me out.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: FOLIO PRESENTATION HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:49:30 am »
+1
Hi everyone!
Hope ya'll are calm and not freaking out about exams  :)
Ok so I got an email today from RMIT that said I was shortlisted for their Bachelor of Fine Arts course (yay) and said that Ill have to do a folio presentation in December so Im just wondering what's the best layout for the folio? Right now I just have an A2 size pad that I put all of my work and studies in but I feel like that would be too messy and whatnot especially with the spiral part falling off. Should I have a display folder and what size, an A3 visual diary or what? Also what should I be including when I present this? Should I do both? A crisp clean display folder and my A2 pad thats being held together by tape?

*SIDE NOTE* What should I wear? Would it be ok if I wear something casual?

Instructions on the email but im still not sure whats going on (sorry):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the folio presentation you will be asked questions about your work and interests, in line with the selection criteria, with particular focus on your relevant skills, attributes, knowledge and experiences.
FOLIO PRESENTATION REQUIREMENTS:
Please bring along the following documentation to the folio presentation: Proof of ID.
If you are applying for advanced standing (e.g. entry into Year 2), please ensure you present copies of your academic transcripts and/or certificates at your presentation.
FOLIO REQUIREMENTS:
The work you bring should include originals of the work you submitted for pre-selection, as well as any additional work(s) you would like to present.  Additional works can include journals, workbooks, website urls, videos, sound recordings, mock-ups.  Any work that is too large or fragile to bring should be well documented with photographs or video.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks! This is seriously worrying me and having your opinions or advice will really help me out.
Congratulations on being shortlisted!! I'm not sure if someone else who's gone to one of these interviews will be able to jump in and help out here, but I had a friend who got into RMIT for design a few years ago, so here's some second-hand advice: :)

For your folio, I'd recommend getting a binder like these:

^they tend to be the professional standards for showcasing art and design work, and you don't want to rock up with a really disheveled-looking journal that has pages falling out or a bunch of pages you don't want them to see :P An A2/A3 binder with plastic sleeves is ideal since you can pick and choose the very best of your work and experimentation to display (assuming you're not too attached to your current folio and don't mind cutting pages out :P) or just take some fancy high-res photos of your work. Officeworks sells these for about $12, though they tend to only have 10-20 sheets so you might also want to invest in some extra pockets depending on how much stuff you've got to showcase.

Judging by that email, it seems like they'd be fine with you bringing along multiple items to demonstrate your skillset though, so having an extra sketch journal or a stack of other works might also be good. I think isolating a particular area or medium (e.g. portraiture, landscapes, cityscapes, etc. or ink, watercolour, oil paint, etc.) would help make your work seem more focused too, though of course you don't have to pigeon-hole yourself completely. But since they've explicitly mentioned: "you will be asked questions about your work and interests, in line with the selection criteria, with particular focus on your relevant skills, attributes, knowledge and experiences" - it'd be good to think about this stuff beforehand and have a folio that matches your interests/skills.

For the interview, I'd say anything between 'smart casual' to 'business casual' would be acceptable. Once you're at uni, you can dress however you like, but since you're trying to impress the interviewers, a neat shirt+slacks/skirt or dress would be the way to go. Anything like this (though maybe not the middle one) - or this (cause I usually have to google wtf dress codes mean anyway :P) From memory my friend wore something like this and was totally fine; so long as you're presentable and comfortable, you should be fine.

Best of luck for the interview!  ;D