Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:58:31 am

Author Topic: Family Law: Recent Developments, media, and discussion  (Read 10857 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Family Law: Recent Developments
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 11:54:56 pm »
Maybe not as relevant for the HSC but still an interesting read about the government's priorities in regards to domestic violence and same-sex marriage.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-28/rosie-batty-disturbed-government-cant-fund-dv-reform/7976782?WT.tsrc=Facebook_Organic&sf40171426=1

Also, at the same time, Turnbull has slammed DV in https://www.facebook.com/9News/videos/1273425716038596/

I think this is definitely relevant! Thanks Deng! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 02:53:33 pm »
It's unlikely that most of you have begun Family Law yet if you're doing that as your option, but this makes for some very thought-provoking reading for the domestic violence spot on the syllabus. The article is written by Jenna Price and posted on the Daily Life section of the Sydney Morning Herald.
This is an EXCELLENT article for legal students - it's full of great quotes and links to other resources. The article points out the fact that perpetrators of domestic violence are usually criminals in other manners, whether that is abusive to "mates," drunk and disorderly, etc... Usually DV abusers have histories of crimes (often un-prosecuted).

This is definitely worth the read.

The most important report the articles links to [url-http://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/Documents/CJB/Report-2016-Violent-Criminal-Careers-A-retrospective-longitudinal-study-cjb198.pdf]is this one.[/url]
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 02:57:24 pm »
This isn't on the Aussie front...it's over in Russia. But sad news in the DV world...

Russian Parliaments votes in favour of decriminalising domestic violence.

It is yet to make it's way to Putin to get the stamp of approval, but he has publicly announced his support.

"According to Russian government statistics from the Interior Ministry, 40 per cent of all violent crimes are committed within the family. The figures correlate to 36,000 women being beaten by their partners every day and 26,000 children being assaulted by their parents every year."

eeeeeeep :(

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 04:33:12 pm »
Hey,

Thank you for this amazing thread! I was just wondering what you felt was the best way to create an overall Family Law essay and what is absolutely necessary to incorporate, especially in regards to contemporary issues.

Thank you so much,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 04:02:06 am »
Hey,

Thank you for this amazing thread! I was just wondering what you felt was the best way to create an overall Family Law essay and what is absolutely necessary to incorporate, especially in regards to contemporary issues.

Thank you so much,

Mary x

Hey Mary!
You're asking a big question ;)
As with every legal essay, you should always be trying to incorporate legislation, facts or statistics, cases, media, and international treaties/agreements/conventions. Sometimes the international element is left off there. When I was in Year 12, Jamon looked at one of my Legal essays for me and suggested that even though it was for the Crime unit, I relate it to international treaties and documents. This just gives what you're saying another re-enforcement, and another point for discussion. So, you could argue the effectiveness of Australian laws and measures, but perhaps the UN has also spoken out about domestic violence, and you could measure up the Australian standards to the views of the UN, for example. Contemporary issues are constantly developing in Australian media each month, so you need to keep your eyes peeled! Although there's no serious development in regards to marriage equality at the moment - last week the new WA premier was elected and they support marriage equality, meaning every state leader of Australia supports it! This is the kind of thing we need to stay on top of :)

Even though the laws may be black or white effective/ineffective, the cases will colour them in and likely show how some parts may be effective, but other sections may be ineffective. Cases are the point of discussion, the way to give proof to your argument!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 09:19:32 am »
Hey Mary!
You're asking a big question ;)
As with every legal essay, you should always be trying to incorporate legislation, facts or statistics, cases, media, and international treaties/agreements/conventions. Sometimes the international element is left off there. When I was in Year 12, Jamon looked at one of my Legal essays for me and suggested that even though it was for the Crime unit, I relate it to international treaties and documents. This just gives what you're saying another re-enforcement, and another point for discussion. So, you could argue the effectiveness of Australian laws and measures, but perhaps the UN has also spoken out about domestic violence, and you could measure up the Australian standards to the views of the UN, for example. Contemporary issues are constantly developing in Australian media each month, so you need to keep your eyes peeled! Although there's no serious development in regards to marriage equality at the moment - last week the new WA premier was elected and they support marriage equality, meaning every state leader of Australia supports it! This is the kind of thing we need to stay on top of :)

Even though the laws may be black or white effective/ineffective, the cases will colour them in and likely show how some parts may be effective, but other sections may be ineffective. Cases are the point of discussion, the way to give proof to your argument!

Hi Elyse,

Thank you so much! That really helps clarify some things about the incorporation of international documents and treaties (I've always been unsure how to properly incorporate them!)

Thank you again,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 04:22:56 am »
+1
Here's something a little different:
Here's a LinkedIn post made by Alan Joyce, QANTAS CEO, about why big businesses should be showing their support for same sex marriage (despite Minister Peter Dutton dis-encouraging this).

What's this good for? Quoting when you're analysing non-legal responses (media/business) to same sex marriage! :) It also makes for an interesting read.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 01:15:42 pm »
This doesn't strictly relate to the syllabus but I wanted to put it out there anyway for comparative purposes:

Malta has just legalised same-sex marriage, just 6 years after they legalised divorce! Crazy, crazy, stuff.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/malta-legalises-samesex-marriage-only-six-years-after-allowing-divorce-20170714-gxb39l.html

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 01:16:32 pm »
An incredible new member has joined our community and has shared some great family articles. Although they are not all recent developments, I'm sure they'll prove very useful to students!

Hi! So I finally sat myself down and rounded up some media articles for the Family Option topic. Hopefully these prove to be helpful:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-editorial/abuse-inside-christian-marriages--a-personal-story-20150301-13rrvr.html
Sydney Morning Herald, 2015 - Abuse inside Christian marriages - a personal story
The article sheds light on the ineffectiveness of the courts and the law in addressing the issue of domestic violence in Christian marriages  + how preconceived beliefs of Christian marriages have resulted in the courts and law enforcement to not conduct research into this issue. It's definitely an interesting topic to read into!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/domestic-violence-register-to-protect-women-who-fear-their-partners-past/news-story/15e0e48ac195194844867d8892c11742
The Daily Telegraph, 2015 - Domestic violence register to protect women who fear their partner's past
Shows the effectiveness of the legal system in taking action to protect victims of domestic violence + to prevent possible domestic violence in relationships. Despite this, it may also be considered a breach of privacy (Possibly look at the Privacy Act 1988 for direct quotes from legislation?)

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/reports-show-shared-care-needs-fixing-20100203-nd7a.html
Sydney Morning Herald, 2010 - Reports show shared care needs fixing
Discusses how shared parenting needs to be more in the best interests of the child, not as a 50/50 kind of thing. I definitely thought it was an interesting read + discusses some stuff that the courts are actively discussing. Also integrates parts of law reform and the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of the courts.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/samesex-marriage-equality-converts-are-very-welcome-to-the-party-20150226-13ptfg
Sydney Morning Herald, 2015 - Same-sex marriage equality converts are very welcome to the party.
Good article for showing the effectiveness AND ineffectiveness of the media, being a non-legal method. The article effectively shows how the contemporary issue of the recognition of same-sex marriages is being actively discussed, and how it's able to inform and project public opinion. But at the same time, it shows how non-legal methods like media don't have any legislative power to enforce laws. They're only able to advocate for it and be a vehicle of persuasion!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Family Law: Recent Developments, media, and discussion
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 03:44:29 pm »
+6
Hey guys,
I've got together some of my articles for family law and most of them are fairly recent.

Child protection cases up 20 per cent in four years: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare MARCH 16 2017,SMH. This article has a lot of statistics and argues that cases are increasing in child violence. They argue that this is due to "Either there is a real increase in the prevalence of abuse or there is an increase in reporting."

FOSTER CHILD ADOPTION RATES AT RECORD HIGHS IN NSW DUE TO STREAMLINED LAWS
The Sunday Telegraph, July 2nd, 2017
Adoptions are being made easier for foster parents and therefore more people are adopting their foster children. Can be used to show the effectiveness of the law.

Abuse and neglect: Australia’s child protection ‘crisis’ The Conversation, October 23rd 2014
Infographic: a snapshot of Australia’s child protection services The Australian, October 2014

Adoption by same-sex couple opposed because of birth parents' Catholic faith SMHSMH, March 26th 2017

Should commercial surrogacy be legal in Australia? May 14th 2015, SMH

Will finish off the mini descriptions of the articles later :)
Hope these help :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 05:57:24 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
I've got together some of my articles for family law and most of them are fairly recent.

Legend ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 10:08:30 pm »
+3
Here's an article that explains the legal differences between marriages and de facto relationships.

Great for same sex relationships and also alternate family relationships.

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:21 pm »
Here's an article that explains the legal differences between marriages and de facto relationships.

Great for same sex relationships and also alternate family relationships.
how do we link this article to alternate family relationships? I want to use this article for my family LCMs

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 08:45:35 pm »
+3
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:59:41 pm by NowYouTseMe »
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »
+5
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/years-of-avos-failed-to-protect-allegedly-murdered-motheroffive-sharon-michelutti-20160205-gmn0cp.html
https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision/593a0b85e4b058596cba773e
https://neighbourhoodpaper.com/issues/finding-beauty-bleakest-places-conversation-moo-baulch-women-men-domestic-violence/

Some info on R v Gavin John De Beyer (2017), a really good and recent case involving ADVOs and their inability to protect individuals at immediate risk of harm. The professional opinion of the CEO of Domestic Violence NSW, Moo Baulch in relation to this case and others around the same time might be useful as well.
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05