Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:38:08 am

Author Topic: Legal: Media Library!  (Read 39631 times)  Share 

Diala

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal: Media Library!
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2017, 07:04:48 pm »
We all know in Legal Studies news changes so fast and sometimes it's difficult to keep up with everything. For instance, my teacher managed to provide us the newest edition textbook for Legal and already, things have updated. I'm just worried that I might write something in my essay during the exam that's changed! Any advice?

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »
We all know in Legal Studies news changes so fast and sometimes it's difficult to keep up with everything. For instance, my teacher managed to provide us the newest edition textbook for Legal and already, things have updated. I'm just worried that I might write something in my essay during the exam that's changed! Any advice?

Your teacher should point out any changes. It's part of your obligation to keep up with law amendments too :) Have a look at the laws you specify in your essays and see if they've been amended,
Heavy Things :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2017, 07:38:41 pm »

I will say though, that you aren't going to be punished for using the old version of a law that was updated recently. Like, HSC Legal Studies isn't about technicalities like that, they care about the quality of your argument holistically and the quality of your body of evidence, not so fussed on little details ;D

Try and keep updated where you can! But don't stress too much ;D

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 06:57:44 pm »
not sure if you guys know heaps about or did world order,

I was wondering if you know of any good media articles that examine the UN's effectiveness in maintaining world order??

Thanks a ton!
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 07:35:07 pm »
+1

I was wondering if you know of any good media articles that examine the UN's effectiveness in maintaining world order??

Thanks a ton!

Hey! If you check out the FREE note we have for World Order, I'll bet there'll be some there! I know my summary sheets have a few :)

You should also do a bit of a Google on some of the World Order crises going on right now - North Korea and Syria, to name the two big ones I'd consider. There will definitely be stuff on the UN response to those issues if you have a bit of a search :)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 08:20:37 pm »
+1

Thanks a ton!

Hey Marcus  :)
I've posted a heap of evidence in this thread, which has a heap of info for the UN and its response to the contemporary issues. Also, I've recently had an exam on that question so I guess i'll share it below - Just note that it actually isn't done, I just memorised my evidence for the final paragraph and made one up + a conclusion on the spot. Idk why but, somehow my caffeine induced all-nighter paid off (Mainly thanks to Jamon  :P).

EDIT: I'm reading it over now and noticing so many grammatical errors  :-\ never do an all-nighter
Spoiler
Assess the effectiveness of the United Nations in promoting and maintaining world order

By definition, world order describes the mechanisms set by the international community, for the preservation of global political stability (Oxford Dictionary). Though it is undeniable that the United Nations (UN) has experienced past success, it’s response to issues in the current international framework have proven to be highly ineffective. In light of recent events, the principle of the ‘responsibility to protect’ (R2P) has revealed itself as a flawed system that is heavily dependent on global compliance. Similarly, while UN responses to the nuclear threat and global cooperation were successful, mechanisms in the current age prohibit the ability for world order to be maintained.  Overall, with an increasingly contentious global climate, the effectiveness of the UN in promoting and maintaining world order has been effective to a moderate extent.

The issue of non-compliance continues to hinder the ability for the UN to actively use the principle of R2P to achieve world order. Such a principle was established due to the extremely delayed response to mass atrocity crimes within Rwanda, Bosnia and Kosovo. To prevent future occurrences of crimes against humanity, the UN has amended the UN Charter, where Article 24 places the UNSC in “primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security”. While the theory of R2P suggests prospects for an effective maintenance of world order, when put into practice, the principle proves to be highly unrewarding. Though the UN actively attempts to resolve conflict in Syria, Russia has failed to comply with its duties and has exploited its veto powers to continue its trade of weaponry. To date, there have been eight instances where Russia has vetoed a resolution to conduct operations in Syria; In 2012, their use of a veto prohibited the ability for the UN to intervene, resulting in an increase of reported deaths by 5,000. In The Guardian’s article ‘Vetoed!, the question regarding the fairness and relevance of veto powers has been raised. Considering the constantly changing nature of morals and ethical standards, the wider community believes that the UNSC has become anachronistic and “obsolete”. Accordingly, Antonio Patriota of the UN recommends that amendments be made to “shape a security council that is truly in tune with the 21st century”. Despite this, it is undeniable that the UN has achieved some success through the use of R2P in the 2011 Libyan crisis. The passing of the 1970 and 1973 Resolutions effectively protected Libyan citizens from extreme violence through the imposition of no-fly zones and military presence. With this, the UN was successful in preventing pro-gaddafi forces from capturing major Libyan cities, while their leader, Muammar Gaddafi was referred to stand trial in the ICC. Thus, while there has clearly been success in Libya, the anachronistic nature of veto powers hinders the effectiveness of the UN in achieving world order to a moderate degree of effectiveness.

Although the UN has effectively responded to the threat of a nuclear war, a lack of prosecution has hindered the ability for world order to be maintained. Following the events of the cold war, the UN has actively supported denuclearisation as a means of achieving global peace and stability. International mechanisms such as Start 1 in 1991 has been highly effective in the disarmament of nuclear weapons between the US and Russia, allowing for a reduction of arsenals by 58,000. Similarly, the Treaty on the Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons 1968 (NPT) has allowed for the promotion of peaceful energy usage in an increasingly nuclear world. However, North Korea’s withdrawal from the NPT displays the unenforceability of international law due to state sovereignty. In the current global climate, the use of nuclear weapons has been deemed the “biggest threat to humanity” (Lawrence Krauss on BBC’s Q&A), largely due to NK’s unwillingness to comply with the UN. The continued conduction of nuclear tests by the ‘rogue state’ (Anthony Lake) has pressured the UN to impose sanctions as a means of political persuasion. However, the use of international negotiation continues to have little effect on the behaviour of NK, leaving the global community paralysed and unable to react to the growing chances of a “major conflict with North Korea” (Donald Trump). With regards to a more regional conflict, the UN remains unresponsive to the US’ illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003. Although the US claimed to have acted in ‘self-defence’, members of the International Commission of Jurists highlight that the invasion was a clear breach of the UN Charter and was not authorised by the UNSC. Despite this, the ICJ has failed to punish the US for clear acts of aggression, thus turning a “blind eye to one of the most blatant human rights abuses” (Jean Shaoul). It clear that the UN has achieved past success in the disarmament of nuclear weapons, but is restricted by state sovereignty to enforce its policies for peace in North Korea and the US. As a result, UN responses to regional and global conflict has been effective only to a moderate extent.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:24:21 pm by rodero »
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2017, 12:40:12 am »
+2
OMG I just found this thread and want to thank you guys so much for putting this up  ;D ;D
So grateful !! If there was a happy crying emoji, I'd definitely be using it right now LOL
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2017, 12:59:29 am »
OMG I just found this thread and want to thank you guys so much for putting this up  ;D ;D
So grateful !! If there was a happy crying emoji, I'd definitely be using it right now LOL

I'm glad you found your way here! If you come across any other media that other students would find useful, feel free to throw it up! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »
+3
Hi! So I finally sat myself down and rounded up some media articles for the Family Option topic. Hopefully these prove to be helpful:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-editorial/abuse-inside-christian-marriages--a-personal-story-20150301-13rrvr.html
Sydney Morning Herald, 2015 - Abuse inside Christian marriages - a personal story
The article sheds light on the ineffectiveness of the courts and the law in addressing the issue of domestic violence in Christian marriages  + how preconceived beliefs of Christian marriages have resulted in the courts and law enforcement to not conduct research into this issue. It's definitely an interesting topic to read into!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/domestic-violence-register-to-protect-women-who-fear-their-partners-past/news-story/15e0e48ac195194844867d8892c11742
The Daily Telegraph, 2015 - Domestic violence register to protect women who fear their partner's past
Shows the effectiveness of the legal system in taking action to protect victims of domestic violence + to prevent possible domestic violence in relationships. Despite this, it may also be considered a breach of privacy (Possibly look at the Privacy Act 1988 for direct quotes from legislation?)

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/reports-show-shared-care-needs-fixing-20100203-nd7a.html
Sydney Morning Herald, 2010 - Reports show shared care needs fixing
Discusses how shared parenting needs to be more in the best interests of the child, not as a 50/50 kind of thing. I definitely thought it was an interesting read + discusses some stuff that the courts are actively discussing. Also integrates parts of law reform and the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of the courts.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/samesex-marriage-equality-converts-are-very-welcome-to-the-party-20150226-13ptfg
Sydney Morning Herald, 2015 - Same-sex marriage equality converts are very welcome to the party.
Good article for showing the effectiveness AND ineffectiveness of the media, being a non-legal method. The article effectively shows how the contemporary issue of the recognition of same-sex marriages is being actively discussed, and how it's able to inform and project public opinion. But at the same time, it shows how non-legal methods like media don't have any legislative power to enforce laws. They're only able to advocate for it and be a vehicle of persuasion!
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2017, 01:17:38 pm »
Hi! So I finally sat myself down and rounded up some media articles for the Family Option topic. Hopefully these prove to be helpful:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-editorial/abuse-inside-christian-marriages--a-personal-story-20150301-13rrvr.html
Sydney Morning Herald, 2015 - Abuse inside Christian marriages - a personal story
The article sheds light on the ineffectiveness of the courts and the law in addressing the issue of domestic violence in Christian marriages  + how preconceived beliefs of Christian marriages have resulted in the courts and law enforcement to not conduct research into this issue. It's definitely an interesting topic to read into!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/domestic-violence-register-to-protect-women-who-fear-their-partners-past/news-story/15e0e48ac195194844867d8892c11742
The Daily Telegraph, 2015 - Domestic violence register to protect women who fear their partner's past
Shows the effectiveness of the legal system in taking action to protect victims of domestic violence + to prevent possible domestic violence in relationships. Despite this, it may also be considered a breach of privacy (Possibly look at the Privacy Act 1988 for direct quotes from legislation?)

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/reports-show-shared-care-needs-fixing-20100203-nd7a.html
Sydney Morning Herald, 2010 - Reports show shared care needs fixing
Discusses how shared parenting needs to be more in the best interests of the child, not as a 50/50 kind of thing. I definitely thought it was an interesting read + discusses some stuff that the courts are actively discussing. Also integrates parts of law reform and the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of the courts.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/samesex-marriage-equality-converts-are-very-welcome-to-the-party-20150226-13ptfg
Sydney Morning Herald, 2015 - Same-sex marriage equality converts are very welcome to the party.
Good article for showing the effectiveness AND ineffectiveness of the media, being a non-legal method. The article effectively shows how the contemporary issue of the recognition of same-sex marriages is being actively discussed, and how it's able to inform and project public opinion. But at the same time, it shows how non-legal methods like media don't have any legislative power to enforce laws. They're only able to advocate for it and be a vehicle of persuasion!

This is incredible! Thanks so much for your contribution! I've quoted your response over here so that these great links are also on our family law board! :)

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2017, 01:28:10 pm »
+1
This is incredible! Thanks so much for your contribution! I've quoted your response over here so that these great links are also on our family law board! :)

Thanks Elyse!! I didn't know there was a Family Law board so definitely going to go check that out too aha

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2017, 06:19:57 pm »
+1
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.
NSW Police are getting new shoot-to-kill powers to counter terrorism. Bail and parole will be harder to get for people on suspicion of terrorism. In response to the Sydney Siege and the hostage thing in Melbourne.
A must-have for law reform and police powers/discretion questions.  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2017, 06:27:23 pm »
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.
NSW Police are getting new shoot-to-kill powers to counter terrorism. Bail and parole will be harder to get for people on suspicion of terrorism. In response to the Sydney Siege and the hostage thing in Melbourne.
A must-have for law reform and police powers/discretion questions.  ;D

I totally did not see this at all - a very powerful amendment. This kind of thing is relevant in an essay on discretion and on law reform!

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2017, 10:38:48 pm »
My biggest feedback criticism for legal is my lack of evidence because i struggle to remember names of relevant case studies even if i can remember what they're about
are there any easier suggestions for remembering the names of cases???

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2017, 11:20:28 am »
My biggest feedback criticism for legal is my lack of evidence because i struggle to remember names of relevant case studies even if i can remember what they're about
are there any easier suggestions for remembering the names of cases???

I suppose you just need to familiarise yourself with the cases as much as possible. When you're working with big cases, you will spend a lot of time studying or memorising the different aspects of the case so I hope that if you can constantly say the offenders name when studying it, you'll be able to commit it to memory. If the problem is that you've got toooo many cases, then I suggest committing a few "big" cases to memory, and having a few more specific ones on the side. You will definitely remember the ones that interest you a whole lot more than the ones that don't interest you - so scout around for some that tickle your fancy. :)